Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-31 Cardinals (Westbrook) at Brewers (Wolf) - [Brewers lose, 8-3]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers are on pace to get their asses swept at the hands of their division rivals by shooting themselves on the foot and the "voices of reason" are going to tell us to just accept it because the lead is insurmountable. I just don't buy it though. I've watched too many chokes to feel at ease with this.

Hey guys, I have a good idea. Blame the defense for giving up a grand slam to the pitcher. Betancourt should have definitely robbed that home run.

Nobody thought of going to first or being at first because it was an easy double off the wall.

Hey guys, I have a good idea. Blame the defense for giving up a grand slam to the pitcher. Betancourt should have definitely robbed that home run.
If the defense would have done their job it would have been a solo home run instead of a grand slam. You're being short-sighted, again.

Nobody thought of going to first or being at first because it was an easy double off the wall.

someone should have been covering first. not sure how you can even begin to argue otherwise.

Community Moderator

Why would anyone be covering first there? It was a double for sure off the bat. Unless you think the Brewers should be expecting a runner to have to go backwards. Just a freak play.

Bad luck tonight but plenty of time to mount a comeback.

I wonder who has a higher batting average against us this year? Albert Pujols or the Cardinals pitching staff? I think what we are seeing in this series (so far) is the law of averages at work. We have played the Cardinals so many times in the last month. Jackson was bound to shut us down at some point. Wolf was bound to have a bad game against them at some point this month. That is why I have been reluctant to get too excited about this lead (I have posted that). I am not saying we won't win the division, I am just saying I think the division will come down to the final days of the season.

someone should have been covering first. not sure how you can even begin to argue otherwise.

It was terrible base running that should have been two runs. Can definitely blame Wolf for getting in that situation. And did you actually see the play? Why the hell would anyone think of covering first there?

And solo shot? The bases were loaded? In no situation could a solo shot have happened.

Why would anyone be covering first there? It was a double for sure off the bat. Unless you think the Brewers should be expecting a runner to have to go backwards. Just a freak play.

A lot of bad luck and a little bad play last night. A little bad luck and a lot of bad play tonight. Braun's base running errors, lack of defensive awareness, and giving up a homer to the pitcher have nothing to do with luck.

It was terrible base running that should have been two runs. Can definitely blame Wolf for getting in that situation.

And solo shot? The bases were loaded? In no situation could a solo shot have happened.
didn't say anything about solo shots. someone should have been covering first.

I think we've all been very spoiled with this team. We've had some very good fortune to be as ridiculous at home as we have been. We were bound to come back down to earth a bit. It's not as if anyone is saying this is a great series for it to happen, but this game's not over and I really felt we only needed 1 win this series to be in fabulous shape to win the division. Even a sweep, although not good is not a complete disaster. Call me a "voice of reason" if you like.

obsessedwithbrewcrew wrote:

Wolf has given up 3 homers tonight. The Brewers have somehow had bad luck. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

It was certainly logical that no one was covering first there. It was a routine double and Prince was positioned to take the cut off throw. That was just horrible base running by the Cardinals; they got extremely lucky.

Wolf has been very good for the Crew but I never have a good feeling when he pitches because he can throw stinker games up with the best of them.

It was terrible base running that should have been two runs. Can definitely blame Wolf for getting in that situation.

didn't say anything about solo shots. someone should have been covering first.
Who? Why? Fielder's job is to back up the cut-off man, which he did. Are you trying to say he should have been lazily and stay at first?

http://www.qcbaseball.com/images/situations/first_double_rightcenter.gif

Archived