Brewer Fanatic

Giants DFA Rowand and Tejada

PrinceEatMeat

Proof that some teams with playoff aspirations dump underperforming veteran players even when they owe them money.

Interesting that this is done right before playoff rosters are set, so any playoff team would have to trade for them, and couldn't simply wait 10-days to pick them up. The Giants are obviously hoping someone will take the salary off their hands.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I thought the general impression that I was supposed to believe was that anyone is better than Betancourt, so why not?

(oops, forgot the blue text)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

So the hope is someone will trade for Tejada and the Giants will avoid paying the September salary? That seems like a small savings to me. I can understand Rowand, but Tejada is only signed through the end of the season, right?

Well, they probably also wanted to get more talented players on their team to try to make the playoffs and did it now so that the better players would be on their playoff rosters.

Interesting side: If a player is DFA'd after Sept 1, and the team makes the playoffs, who can they use on their playoff roster (assuming they didn't have a DL guy to add)?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

A friend of mine was in the Giants organization at the time of the Rowand signing and I asked him what he thought about it and I remember him kind of chuckling and saying something along the lines of "Let's see him put up those numbers in our park."

I thought about Tejada for a moment, but then I remembered he isn't really much better than Yuni, and Hairston is quite a bit better than Yuni. Do they have somebody waiting in the wings for CF? Rowand was struggling but he still fields reasonably well.

I know that Schierholtz is hurt right now but with Beltran in RF, Cody Ross in CF and Brandon Belt and Aubrey Huff at 1B/LF, I think they are more than set for the time being. Rowand had his time and was pretty average. Once Schierholtz comes back, Rowand is the 5th OF and that is an awful lot of money to pay a 5th OF, even if the contract is guaranteed.

Archived