Brewer Fanatic

Traffic in and out of Miller Park

Invader3K

I live downtown and think Wisconsin to Bluemound is the fastest way in. Occasionally, there will be a cop at the entrance at Story Parkway that will not let you make the left into the lot, but that is usually only the case on Opening Day.

After the game, going east onto Bluemound out of that lot is usually very fast. Preferred parking on that side of the stadium (3rd base) is kind of a disaster. I always opt for general.

Of course, there's also the "park on Wisconsin and walk in while enjoying a couple beers" option. That's free and I can usually get to my car for some of the post-game show and not fight any traffic.

Part of the problem on the way in is the extreme amount of time that it takes some people to handle the ticket transaction. Maybe they need to have more signs up with the cost, and reminders to "Get your money ready". Sounds stupid, but I have no idea what takes some people so long.

The Mcgehee 3 home run game was mentioned earlier - that was a day game. Nothing screws up traffic in the entire Milwaukee area like a weekday home brewer day game. It dumps an additional 20,000 cars on the roads at peak rush hour time. There really is no way around it - it will be slow no matter which road you take.

My ride home alomst doubles on days that the brewer play a day game at home - I am hoping that this 3:10 start works out tomorrow and they schedule more of their day games at that time in future years...

Miller Park Way (41) was originally designed in the 50's to connect with with the old Park East freeway. Heres a Wikipedia entry

The Stadium Freeway, originally known as the South 44th Street Expressway for the street it would replace, was opened for traffic in 1953, just as the new Milwaukee County Stadium was opening to host the Milwaukee Braves of the National League of baseball. Original plans were to have the freeway extend south from National Avenue to the Airport Freeway in Greenfield (what is now Interstate 894 and Interstate 43). The interchange at I-894 was built, but since the Stadium Freeway was never completed to connect to it, the ramps instead lead to a park and ride lot at the corner of Loomis and Cold Spring Roads and are solely for the use of commuter buses, WisDOT and law enforcement vehicles. Because of lawsuits and protest, the southern extension was never built, though most of the right-of-way for the freeway was cleared down to Lincoln Avenue in West Milwaukee. This section of South 43rd Street was renamed Miller Park Way in 2001, after the new park had opened.[4]

Not really apropos to the discussion, but it explains why its designed so weird.

I also "shhhhh" the Canal Street talk, but it's the way to go, especially from preferred. Even if you're in Aaron once you can cut across (which does sometimes take a bit) you'll be out and headed east within 5 minutes.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Park at the of the bars on bluemound and take there bus in, it fast and cheap.
I would have agreed with this statement prior to this year. I think I've taken Kelly's Bleachers' shuttle three times this year and after every game it seemed like we were trying to get on the last life boat of the Titanic. There are way too many people using this shuttle, plus there are lots of drunks that you have to deal with. We've actually had the shuttle driver stop and drop us off because the shuttle was so crowded with drunken idiots and we were moving so slowly that even after we got dropped off we were able to walk back to the bar area before the shuttle got there.

Preferred Parking is always a mess to get out of because the Miller Park interchange was the most poorly designed interchange in the history of engineering. It slows down traffic everyday after work and after games that area is a mess. That's why I stick with the General Admission lot and then take Canal St. to exit.

Same. It's super fast and so few people use Canal.

Bingo

That said, when you have a sellout game in which the game is close until the very end, thus very few people leave early, being stuck in traffic is often inevitable. Unless someone has somewhere to go after the game, being stuck in traffic and extra 15-20 minutes isn't something people should overly stress over IMO.

I went to Six Flags on Saturday and had to leave later than normal, about 20 after one. On the way there my buddy and i had to pick my daughter/her boyfriend who live right off highway G by Seven Mile Fair. I got on the expressway by Loomis and Layton and instead of it taking about 10-15 minutes to get to my daughter, it took about an hour and fifteen minutes because the mix of construction and a semi died right before the airport exit which forced countless cars to merge back into the chaos. Now that was frustrating and there was nowhere to get off the expressway. Then my buddies car starts overheating, we left my place at 1:20 and got to Six Flags at a 3:45 on what normally is a 45 minute ride.

It's unexpected traffic jams that really bother me, especially if i'm going somewhere and kinda pressed for time. I rarely ever though stress about excessive causing it to take longer to get home after a Brewers game.

To head west, park in the Molitor Lot (the lot north of I-94, enter off of Blue Mound). After the game, instead of going left up the hill out of the lot, go right. It will go under 45 and past the Spahn lot. Take a left (onto 44th St). Follow that out, and it will essentially turn into Wells St. Just follow the signs for 45 South, hop on 45, then head back west on 94. There are times where that route is blocked off, but 9 out of 10 times it's open.

Coming from Madison to games, the only lot I will park in is the Molitor lot, unless I am meeting friends for tailgating. If you get there early enough, there is normally not a long wait to get in. The one game we went to this year, however, was a different story. It took an hour to get from Moorland Rd. to our parking space. We were running a bit later than I wanted, and I think that made all the difference.

Last Saturday, since I didn't have a ticket going in and wasn't sure I'd get what I wanted at my price and therefore wanted to avoid the lots , I parked on 52nd, just off of National. I was pleased to find the walkway through the VA property that I used to use quite frequently back in the 80's was still there. I got out of there in no time (west on National) and the walk was really no longer than to the back portion of many of the lots.

To head west, park in the Molitor Lot (the lot north of I-94, enter off of Blue Mound). After the game, instead of going left up the hill out of the lot, go right. It will go under 45 and past the Spahn lot. Take a left (onto 44th St). Follow that out, and it will essentially turn into Wells St. Just follow the signs for 45 South, hop on 45, then head back west on 94. There are times where that route is blocked off, but 9 out of 10 times it's open.

Coming from Madison to games, the only lot I will park in is the Molitor lot, unless I am meeting friends for tailgating. If you get there early enough, there is normally not a long wait to get in. The one game we went to this year, however, was a different story. It took an hour to get from Moorland Rd. to our parking space. We were running a bit later than I wanted, and I think that made all the difference.

Like those sawbucks are hard to move......

This is the only way I have taken in the last three years. Quick and easy.

Coming from western Kenosha County, We park in the eastern Preferred parking (by the pedestrian bridge over Miller Park Way....

Generally we have very few problems getting out.

And here's the best advice I have for anyone parking on the East side of the stadium:

DO NOT TAKE THE PEDESTIRAN BRIDGE!!!! Its like hogs to the slaughter there. Your best bet is to exit by Friday's, and head under the freeway,

Its wider allowing more people to walk, and less people go that way... It's a longer walk, but you definately get to your car faster.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Further proof that every city should have a decent rail system. Even with the modest system in Minneapolis, I could leave my car at a friend's house, walk a few blocks to a station, and then be whisked away to a game with no need to park, and no need to worry about staying under a .08 BAC. Now that I'm back in Texas, I rarely go to Rangers games, primarily because of the heat, but also because of the pain in my butt elicited by parking and traffic.

The mark of an advanced society is the availability of the simple, unadulterated pleasures of a baseball game and a High Life buzz.

Archived