Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-30 Cardinals (Jackson) at Brewers (Marcum) - 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-1]

Does Roenicke realize that a hall of fame manager, in the middle of a World Series championship year, gave a certain rookie 47 at bats in 1981? Somehow team chemistry wasn't ruined and Earth continued to rotate on its axis.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So is it okay if I wish Roy Halladay to tear his rotator cuff pitching or Troy Tulowitzki to break his wrist on a ball inside? I mean it would really help the Brewers. This is sports guys. They would just be out the season, but its not like it really matters in the grand scheme, it's not real life.

Community Moderator

Betancourt = -0.1 WAR

Wilson + Counsell = -0.3 WAR

So it's a wash.

I

think I need to mention that I agree that Roenicke threw the game away

tonight with his decision making. So I'm not against you guys or

irrationally defending RR at all costs. But there is a difference

between saying that and getting emotional, wishing injuries, making

personal insults, etc. etc. Especially because the game doesn't really

matter in the big picture. Yes, it could be a preview of the playoffs,

the D'Backs could magically pass us, the Cardinals could win 20 games in

a row, but it's probably meaningless.

We're just not going to

accept negativity towards Brewers players. I've been a Brewers fan for

16 years. If Betancourt was released tomorrow, you guys would find

someone else to harp on. Just let it go. There's always going to be a

weakest link and there are always going to be some decisions that

management makes that the majority of us will disagree with. It doesn't

mean anyone is an idiot.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So is it okay if I wish Roy Halladay to tear his rotator cuff pitching or Troy Tulowitzki to break his wrist on a ball inside? I mean it would really help the Brewers. This is sports guys. They would just be out the season, but its not like it really matters in the grand scheme, it's not real life.

I wish injury on Pujols all the time. For some reason it never comes true.

Guess what, sports does not equal real life. If Jesus Christ was a middle linebacker he would fill the A gap and knock every running back on the other team right on their butt every time until they wanted to take themselves out of the game. I would only sound awful if I wished injury on anyone in real life, not professional sports.
Wait...was this all just a big level. You're just trolling right now, right?
No, why is everyone around here acting like a mom??? In real life you should be nice and respectful to people, and in sports you win. If a player isn't cutting it he is gone. Is Doug Melvin a being a meanie butt by cutting Felipe Lopez, even though he loves to play baseball? How about those people begging for Sean Green to get sent down, what a bunch of jerk faces

So you prefer Yuni to be the starting SS for the rest of the season including the playoffs? Please answer this question, yes or no.

Yes, I'd prefer any player to start if the alternative is an injury.

Stop acting like a soccer mom and start acting like a sports fan, and please stop acting like this is some horrible, horrible thing like me saying Hitler had some good ideas.

How about you start acting like a human being?

Step away from the computer and think about how awful you sound as a person right now.

Guess what, sports does not equal real life. If Jesus Christ was a middle linebacker he would fill the A gap and knock every running back on the other team right on their butt every time until they wanted to take themselves out of the game. I would only sound awful if I wished injury on anyone in real life, not professional sports.
Well said. Its a freaking hand injury caused by a professional player not knowing how to drop down a simple bunt. It is completely Yuni's fault that ball hit his hand.

There is a huge difference than a play like this and a play where a guy could be seriously injured. Its a broken finger. I've had three, they aren't that bad.

In my opinion our team would be better with Hairston starting at short everyday and a combo of Wilson Counsel and Green (or heck even Casey) at second.

If Betancourt was released tomorrow, you guys would find

someone else to harp on.

Nah. Betancourt is probably the most polarizing figure here since Keith Ginter. There's nobody else on the roster who could generate even 1/5th amount of discussion as YuniB right now.

Sure, why not? If someone said it, it honestly wouldn't bother me like it bothers some people here. I personally wouldn't say that but I wouldn't think someone was a horrible person for doing so. These guys make millions upon millions of dollars to play a game. I wouldn't wish death or life-threatening injury on anyone but I wouldn't be upset if someone broke a bone.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

someone else to harp on.

Nah. Betancourt is probably the most polarizing figure here since Keith Ginter. There's nobody else on the roster who could generate even 1/5th amount of discussion as YuniB right now.
He's not polarizing at all. Everyone agrees he's terrible. It's just that there's a difference between wanting a guy benched and wishing an injury upon him.

I wish injury on Pujols all the time. For some reason it never comes true.

It did, for like 2 weeks.

100% serious, sports does not equal real life.
So Buster Posey's injury only affects him when it comes to sports. Ok, I get it. Thanks for helping me understand.
Sure it sucks for him in real life. But if I was a Rockies/Dodgers/Giants/DBacks fan, I would've been happy from a sports standpoint. That would be like Pujols going down for the season for us.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Yuni up, 2 on nobody out. RR could:

A) Let Yuni hit away.

B) PH Green there. *To be fair, I don't think many managers would have done that. 1st MLB AB in that situation.

C) PH Kotsay.

D) Bunt. If he chooses this option, why not someone who can...you know....BUNT. Greinke for example. And can't he see everyone crashing? Doesn't that tell you to call off the bunt, since Yuni would have to lay down a perfect bunt? AND if you're dead-set on it, put in Counsell to run for Fielder.

No guarantee any of these options would have guaranteed a run, but they're all better options than what happened. I don't care about the loss. I care that this team has shaky defense, the bottom half of the lineup is dead weight, so the last thing we need is a manager who may make these same mistakes in the post-season.

someone else to harp on.

He's not polarizing at all. Everyone agrees he's terrible. It's just that there's a difference between wanting a guy benched and wishing an injury upon him.
He's not polarizing? I would say that everyone does not agree he's terrible. There's probably half a dozen threads about the guy, and about 10% of all threads that have nothing to do with him end up being about him. And the reason is that most think he's terrible, and the rest think he's 'not as bad as everyone says'. We've spent the better part of a season arguing about just HOW bad he really is.

Guess what, sports does not equal real life.

Well, you're completely free to think and live life how you choose. But it's our board, and we desire for this particular thing not to be expressed here. With that in mind going forward, we all should be cool here.

I will say again that I don't believe people really wish Yuni B pain or harm. I think, like others have said, that it was a very tense moment and that people simply wish they could get Yuni out of the lineup and are frustrated that it's not gonna happen. That the manager and GM had all year, not to mention the offseason to address this in some way but didn't is incredibly frustrating and makes some of us question whether they should be entrusted with the positions they hold. One last comment, and I don't mean to start anything, but I think there were some jabs and unnecessary comments both ways. That said, go Brewers! And may Yuni enter a long, prolonged hot-streak.

It's just that there's a difference between wanting a guy benched and wishing an injury upon him.
I think some members of this board are just fed up with his poor play and want him out of the lineup. Whether it is by injury or playing his way out of the lineup does not matter.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

We're just not going to

accept negativity towards Brewers players.

There are plenty of negative threads around here because our management still has the 1950s baseball philosophy. If I just wanted to talk about all the lovely rainbows and unicorns on the Brewers I would talk to my mom about them.

I've been a Brewers fan for

16 years.

Who cares, what does that make you some authority? Get off your high horse

someone else to harp on.

Well if you think McGehee should continue to play over Green then you must not have been watching any games this year.

Just let it go.

No, its called being a sports fan

It doesn't

mean anyone is an idiot.

There is no explanation as to why Betancourt starts every day except that the manager has no baseball intelligence, AT ALL. If you cant watch Yuni play and know he is bad then you are an idiot. PERIOD. This is a fact.

Oh, and as far as this injury debate, I would never wish injury on a player, especially a Brewer. With that said, hoping a player has a broken finger hardly makes them satan for suggesting it. Said player still has a career, still makes millions, etc. Much different, in my opinion, than a player having a career ending injury or worse (head trauma for example.) Like i said, I don't root for it or take pleasure in Yuni breaking a finger, but I don't think it's over the top crazy.

I think the line is getting blurred between negativity and constructive criticism here. Both are 2 different things.

Negativity: Betancourt just sucks, he couldnt hit a ball on a tee.

Constructive: Betancourt should work on his hitting.

Guess what, sports does not equal real life.

Well, you're completely free to think and live life how you choose.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with how I live my life. I'm not sure if you read everything you quoted above, but I said sports does not equal real life, which means they are separate and different.

Is wishing a sports player gets released (the mental anguish they go through, loss of money, etc.) really that much better/different than hoping a guy gets a broken bone in his hand, which he will most likely recover from while he continues to be paid his full salary?

Just something to think about when snapping to moral judgments.

Archived