Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-30 Cardinals (Jackson) at Brewers (Marcum) - 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 2-1]

So you prefer Yuni to be the starting SS for the rest of the season including the playoffs? Please answer this question, yes or no.

Yes, I'd prefer any player to start if the alternative is an injury.

Stop acting like a soccer mom and start acting like a sports fan, and please stop acting like this is some horrible, horrible thing like me saying Hitler had some good ideas.

How about you start acting like a human being?

Step away from the computer and think about how awful you sound as a person right now.

This seems equally out of line to me. Awfully big accusation considering he probably doesn't even know the person.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And by the way, the loss tonight was completely meaningless. The Brewers playoff odds dropped from 99.5% to 99.3%.
I wouldn't say it's completely meaningless. I think a lot of folks are looking at a game like this and fearing that it could be a pre-cursor to how RR's decision making could affect the team in a 5 or 7 game series, when one game really does matter a whole heck of a lot. 9 1/2 game lead is for all intents and purposes right now, insurmountable.

This game, in and of itself is a representation of how a lot of posters feel about Roenicke's in game strategy (which IMO is awful). Right now, it doesn't matter, but it will in the playoffs.

And no, it would not make the Brewers better to have Yuni injured. He's the worst starter on the team, but that doesn't automatically mean that he is useless or detrimental to the team.
Wrong, he does make us worse, especially since he starts everyday. He is very, very detrimental to the team.

well, I gotta say I thought that there is reason that Betancourt hasn't had any sacrifice attempts this season. Look at his form. He had his hand wrapped around the barrel of the bat. No wonder it hit him in the hand. Just terrible fundamentals.

That said, I thought the bunt play in that situation was the right call. But I'd have sent up Counsell to do it. Sure, you have to get the bunt down pretty much perfectly the way the Cards were defending it but I believe that Counsell could manage to get it toward third and not have it hit his hand.

Sadly, this should have been a 1-0 Brewer win. Two errors in one inning led to the 2 runs which would not have scored had Prince and Hairston been able to get those grounders.

Finally, I would've sent Green up to bat instead of Kotsay and said, "Kid, here's your shot to become a part of this team. If you get a hit, you'll be a hero. If not, we're still going to support you." Kind of disappointed that didn't happen. A player in his MLB debut at-bat might be over-eager but against a fastball-slider pitcher in a tight ballgame with a lot of emotion in the stands and the Cards wanting to win a "statement" game, I think the over-eagerness would have played nicely, perhaps a first pitch line drive single to center or something.

Ah well. We're still up 9 1/2 games. I'm not going to get too much more worked up about it right now. Go get 'em tomorrow.

p.s. Yeah, sure, we don't, for the most part, like Betancourt but to hope he is injured? Classless. What's next? Wishing hawing gets a crippling hand issue so she can't ruin this board with her moderation and cool-headed analysis.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Are you serious??? No one wanted him to die, just be out for the season. Clearly this would make the team better, cheering for your favorite team to get better is fine. He is getting paid $6 MM this year, he will still earn it with a cast on his hand.

This isn't little league

So let me get this straight. You wanted a Brewer (and one who, from all reports, is a really nice guy) to lose the ability to do what he loves during a potential championship run? Nice. That's nice.
I do. Because the aforementioned Brewer is a terrible baseball player.

So you'd rather cheer for him to get hurt than for him to get on a hot streak?

Community Moderator
And no, it would not make the Brewers better to have Yuni injured.
I disagree. He's a below replacement player, and with SS replacements like Hairston, the Brewers would almost certainly be a better ballclub.

Then who's going to play second base?

Are you serious??? No one wanted him to die, just be out for the season. Clearly this would make the team better, cheering for your favorite team to get better is fine. He is getting paid $6 MM this year, he will still earn it with a cast on his hand.

This isn't little league

So let me get this straight. You wanted a Brewer (and one who, from all reports, is a really nice guy) to lose the ability to do what he loves during a potential championship run? Nice. That's nice.
By this logic, everyone who hopes for Casey McGehee to get benched should also be ashamed of him/herself. Seems pretty preachy to me. I simply read his comments as hoping for a way to get Yuni B out of the lineup/off the field.
No, because McGehee would still have the ability to play. And he would likely play as a pinch hitter or spot starter.

I do. Because the aforementioned Brewer is a terrible baseball player.

So you'd rather cheer for him to get hurt than for him to get on a hot streak?

I'd rather cheer for him to be gone than the be playing. Hairston is a better baseball player, and I'll root for the better player to get playing time. I don't want him to suffer or anything, but a fluky streak would only have a below replacement player starting for us come playoff time. No Brewer fan wants that.

D'Backs are only 4 games back. Hopefully we're not looking at Roenicke's boneheaded decision tonight as the reason we're facing Halladay in Philly on October 1 instead of facing the Braves at Miller Park.

So you prefer Yuni to be the starting SS for the rest of the season including the playoffs? Please answer this question, yes or no.

Yes, I'd prefer any player to start if the alternative is an injury.

Stop acting like a soccer mom and start acting like a sports fan, and please stop acting like this is some horrible, horrible thing like me saying Hitler had some good ideas.

How about you start acting like a human being?

Step away from the computer and think about how awful you sound as a person right now.

Guess what, sports does not equal real life. If Jesus Christ was a middle linebacker he would fill the A gap and knock every running back on the other team right on their butt every time until they wanted to take themselves out of the game. I would only sound awful if I wished injury on anyone in real life, not professional sports.

I disagree. He's a below replacement player, and with SS replacements like Hairston, the Brewers would almost certainly be a better ballclub.

A platoon of Josh Wilson or Craig Counsell. While neither can hit, each offers defensive prowess and the potential for Taylor Green to PH in an offensive pinch.

When Weeks come back, this answer becomes more obvious.

Just to add to this fun, I would have no problem with a Betancourt injury. Do I wish for him to break his leg in 5 places? No, but would I be upset if he strained a hamstring or broke a bone in his hand? No. In fact, I would be thrilled. Because I, and many of you, think his terrible play is going to limit how successful the Brewers are in the postseason. He is a terrible player on a really good team. It's really frustrating to think that Melvin knew how bad he was coming in, and had a pretty good idea how good the Brewers could be this year, and he has done nothing about it.

Taylor Green, Josh Wilson, Craig Counsell and soon Rickie Weeks

Guess what, sports does not equal real life. If Jesus Christ was a middle linebacker he would fill the A gap and knock every running back on the other team right on their butt every time until they wanted to take themselves out of the game. I would only sound awful if I wished injury on anyone in real life, not professional sports.

Now I'm convinced you're not actually being serious. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I know Brewerfan is policed a lot more (and better) than other forums out there. And I honestly think it is better because of it. But people attacking those (including me) who said it would be good for the team if Yuni got injured need to settle down. A few of us made comments that maybe it would be good for the team if Yuni was hurt and now we're suddenly "terrible human beings," "classless," "not true sports fans," etc. I didn't think everyone was so PC. This honestly feels like a kindergarten class right now.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't think anybody wants Betancourt to actually break his hand. Just a heat of the moment thing after a tense game. Imo, recent comments just pour fuel on the fire and derail a good discussion.

Not much else to add -- one of RR's worst innings in Milwaukee. I don't know what bugs me more -- giving up outs or using the team's worst bunters, while three lefties (and a really good bunter) sit on the bench. Betancourt is probably the second-worst player on the team and he continues to start everyday.

Wait...was this all just a big level. You're just trolling right now, right?

Now I'm convinced you're not actually being serious. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

100% serious, sports does not equal real life. How do you not understand that, if you have ever played football youd know the point of tackling is to hit people so hard they are < 100% by the 4th quarter. If you are some big strong guy and you have to tackle someone 100 pounds less than you you pound them into ground as hard as you possibly can.

Archived