Brewer Fanatic

Axford has pitched 3 consecutive days 4 times since all-star break

NYChez

This is obviously a sign of how well the Brewers have been playing, but it's also a concern. How much juice is Axford going to have left in October if he's pitching everyday late in the season? Axford had nothing on the mound today (Sunday against the Cubs).

For comparison, and I realize the age difference, Mariano Rivera hasn't pitched three consecutive days since 2009. The Yankees baby him late in the season, and he rewards them by being dominant in the post-season.

In the early 90's Dan Plesac was just like Axford, a young, dominating, power closer. Then the Brewers won 10 games in a row in 1988, Plesac pitched in most of those games, and his arm was never the same.

Axford is a huge part of this team's future. For this reason, in days like Sunday (following Axford pitching his 2nd straight day), I would use Saito, Loe, or Hawkins as the setup guy and then use K-Rod as the closer. It would be less devastating to the franchise to blow out K-Rod's arm than Axford's. With a 10 1/2 game lead, Roenicke can afford to do this.

Hopefully when we get to September, this type of planning occurs.

I agree. I was worried seeing him 2 straight days after laboring through 25+ pitches over 15 minutes on Friday. I would have left Greinke in for the last batter in the 8th and then had K-Rod close today. The off day tomorrow is a good good thing.

When we acquired K-Rod I had hoped that K-Rod would get an occasional save. IMO We should be using Saito more as a set-up guy so that K-Rod and Ax aren't always pitching on the same days. This would allow Ax to get a bit more rest. If we are fortunate enough to have our lead hold up and we clinch a bit early, that could provide some rest for Ax.

I think if the brewers had not had an off day tomorrow, there is a chance things would have played out differently, and Axford may have been held out in favor of Rodriguez.

The off day certainly figured in the thinking. But so should have the opponent and the lead in the division and the fact that it was a day game after 2 night games.. I would have gone with Saito or Loe to get the last out in the 8th, and then to K-Rod for the 9th. That was as poor as Axford's looked in months. There is no reason for him to go 3 consecutive days at this point.

Archived