Brewer Fanatic

Anyone notice Prince's walk-up music tonight?

PrinceEatMeat
I just can't imagine that the songs were chosen to send a message to the front office or to brag that he's going to get paid handsomely in the offseason. It would be just so bizarrely inappropriate and out of character. It would be odd to use those to hint that a new deal is almost signed, as well, because that, too, is bragging a bit, but if that's the case, have some fun.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, they ususally like to announce things like contract extensions when they have a day off in the middle of a homestand...

I'm just very doubtful anything happens at this point. Just no real chatter about this going on right now. Then again, crazier things have happened I guess.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah this is all sorts of weird.

I assume no one has actually asked Prince about it?

If there was some sort of contract in place it seems increbily unlikley that someone in the Front Office didn't leak something. But then again no one knew about Braun's extension until they announced it either. Something weird is definitely going on. Prince has spoken multiple times about loving the team this year and it would seem very out of character to pull these shenanigans right now.

I'm 100% confident that he was not trying to show up the front office. My initial thought was it's just motivation...but then when I heard that the song guy tweeted, listen to the theme....that's weird. Man, that would be great if he took a discount and was going to sign with us! This would be the best time to get him to do that, while they are smoking hot, having fun, and have a solid team locked up for years to come.

Couple thoughts on this:

#1. I really hope Prince is sending a message that a deal is imminent because I love him as a player.

#2. I really hope Prince wasn't sending a message to the Brewers FO. If the 5year/$100MM offer for Prince was rejected last year, he doesn't understand the economics of baseball as that offer is HUGE for a market the Brewers size. I will have lost some respect for him if that is what that was about because it isn't like the Brewers were lowballing him. They are extending out to as much as they can go without crippling the franchise.

#3. If he isn't sending a message and a deal isn't imminent, I have to wonder the motivations. I can't imagine Prince being oblivious to the fans begging and pleading for him to stay and his possible FA casting a bit of a dark cloud on the horizon of this magical season. Using that medium to send a message right now about winning a bet with the players, messing with people or sending a message to the Cubs, as others have speculated, is in poor taste. Especially if it is being done to mess with people. Fans take this stuff seriously (too seriously sometimes) and to pull a stunt like this when the Brewers are so close to winning a division for the first time since 1982, would make Prince seem like a bad teammate and extraordinarily self-important. I don't think Prince is this way, but you never know.

There's another option people aren't considering...

Maybe he's in the process of signing a HUGE endorsement deal.

I know we'd problably be hearing something about it, but that's not to say it's not possible.

You knew me as Myday2001.

Usually these deals do come out of nowhere (see Braun and Weaver)....and the Brewers do like to do things in the afteroons of off days during a homestand. I have a conference call for the next three hours here (UGH) but I'm really hoping my cell phone just starts going nuts around 3:00 with a contract announcement....but it was likely nothing.

I would think a prerequisite for an endorsement deal is an ability to actually speak in public. I don't think Fielder is ever going to get much in the way of endorsements just for that reason. He has been a great player for 6 years in MIL and that has led to squat in the way of endorsements around here; I doubt that changes.

I would think a prerequisite for an endorsement deal is an ability to actually speak in public. I don't think Fielder is ever going to get much in the way of endorsements just for that reason. He has been a great player for 6 years in MIL and that has led to squat in the way of endorsements around here; I doubt that changes.
You never know. David Ortiz has had some big endorsement deals, and I don't think he's regarded as a great orator or anything. Prince did have that video game deal a couple years ago. A lot of the lack of endorsements is just the fact that Prince plays in a small market right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived