Brewer Fanatic

Who gets moved off the 25-man roster when Weeks and Gomez come back?

logan82
I think people are confused about the August 31 date. The actual Playoff roster is not set on August 31, but the players eligible for the playoff roster are set. To be eligible for the playoff roster, you must be on the active 25 man roster, the DL, or one of the other leave lists (bereavement, suspension, etc.) at midnight of Aug 31. Through September, the 25-man roster goes away and doesn't return until the end of the regular season when the 25-man Playoff rosters need to be submitted. If a player gets hurt in September/October, the team can add another member of the 40-man roster not on the original playoff eligible list if the hurt player is placed on the 60-day DL.

So, it would be smart for the Brewers to leave Weeks and Gomez on the DL until September 1 at the earliest. That way, they will have 27 guys to choose from for the Playoff roster. I'm sure they already have an idea of who will be on the playoff roster, but it would just be nice to be able to have a few options in case someone unexpected gets extremely hot... or something like that.

There's still something about teams submitting their playoff roster on Sept. 1st. The fact that guys are on the DL means teams with that situation have certain flexibility.

If a player is in the minor leagues less than 20 days, he doesn't burn an option.
I know that's the case w/ service time (doesn't lose the full year or whatever), but I didn't think that was the case w/ burning an option.

Archived