Brewer Fanatic

Who gets moved off the 25-man roster when Weeks and Gomez come back?

logan82
Wilson, Counsell and De La Cruz seem like the most likely candidates. I know it is to much to hope Kotsay is on the way out. Those 4 are the only ones that would make logical sense to move off the active roster.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wilson, Counsell and De La Cruz seem like the most likely candidates. I know it is to much to hope Kotsay is on the way out. Those 4 are the only ones that would make logical sense to move off the active roster.

De La Cruz. Or Dillard. No need for either of those guys on the post season roster.

It sure doesn't look like Weeks will return before the rosters can expand Sept. 1st. So Weeks would just be activated with no corresponding roster move necessary.

Gomez' return may well be before Sept. 1st, but waiting an extra day or two 'til after Sept. 1st doesn't hinder his inclusion on a playoff roster because he'd be on the 15-day DL and thus still be eligible.

To answer your question, though, I think De La Cruz & Wilson are the only ones who'd truly have to worry about their spot should Gomez be activated prior to Sept. 1st. Counsell can't hit but he's pretty obviously safe due to the organization's love for him. Kotsay's 9-for-31 PH'ing and hitting .260-ish, so he's not going anywhere, either.

I'd DFA Wilson and option Estrada. And then recall Estrada 11 days later so the optioned isn't burned. I think he's the 12th guy on an 11-man playoff pitching roster.
You lost me there. Estrada? As it stands, De La Cruz profiles more as the 12th man on the present 12-man staff with Dillard now down. Would you really bump Estrada over De La Cruz? There aren't any other DL or minor league pitchers who deserve a roster spot over Estrada.

11-man playoff pitching roster:

5 starters: Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf, Narveson

6 relievers: Axford, K-Rod, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Estrada

Also, if you option Estrada now, it counts as an option, regardless of when you recall him, doesn't it, because isn't the option burned when you send him down, not when you bring him up? (Sorry, I think in complex sentences.)

I think I'd probably just wait too.

Although this exact question could be asked in a different way: Who would be off the playoff roster?

Wilson serves no purpose any longer, especially when Weeks comes back. DLC has probably worn off his welcome with his erratic control.

11-man playoff pitching roster:

5 starters: Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf, Narveson

6 relievers: Axford, K-Rod, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Estrada

4 starters: Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf

7 relievers: Axford, KROD, Hawkins, Saito, Loe, Narveson, LOOGY TBD

I would consider going with FDLC over Estrada, also. Estrada is, for whatever reason, much more effective as a starter than a reliever. But if he's starting a postseason game for the Brewers this year... that's not a good sign.

Also, if you option Estrada now, it counts as an option, regardless of

when you recall him, doesn't it, because isn't the option burned when

you send him down, not when you bring him up? (Sorry, I think in

complex sentences.)

If a player is in the minor leagues less than 20 days, he doesn't burn an option.

If neither Weeks nor Gomez is back by 8/31, doesn't matter. I guess Wilson could be sent out for Gamel, though.

I think Kotsay has been a good addition. He has produced in the clutch late in several games. Don't know why you are hoping he is on the way out.

It sure doesn't look like Weeks will return before the rosters can expand Sept. 1st. So Weeks would just be activated with no corresponding roster move necessary.

It is a paper move but you have to make a roster move. Only guys on the 25 man roster are eligible for the postseason.

I blame Wang.

Players are eligible for the playoff roster if they're on the disabled list on 8/31. They don't have to be on the active roster.

Right but when Weeks comes back he will have to be placed on the 25 man roster and somebody else moved off. At least I think so. Not that it really matters much. It is only a paper move.

I blame Wang.

I dont understand the eligibility rules for post season rosters. You have the be either on the 25 man roster or the 15 day DL on 8/31, right? What if a team has no players on the 15 day DL on 8/31 and in the month of September they lose 3 players to injury so that they only have 22 active players come the playoffs. So for example, Gomez and Weeks are healthy and nobody else on the 15 day DL. Then, Wolf, Betencourt and LuCroy all get hurt in September and cant play in the first round of the play offs.

How do they fill those spots?

I dont understand the eligibility rules for post season rosters. You have the be either on the 25 man roster or the 15 day DL on 8/31, right? What if a team has no players on the 15 day DL on 8/31 and in the month of September they lose 3 players to injury so that they only have 22 active players come the playoffs. So for example, Gomez and Weeks are healthy and nobody else on the 15 day DL. Then, Wolf, Betencourt and LuCroy all get hurt in September and cant play in the first round of the play offs.

How do they fill those spots?

You get injury exceptions and extract replacements from your 40-man roster.

I think they will activate Gomez on Wednesday and send DLC to AAA. Wouldn't that set their playoff roster at 14 positional players and 11 pitchers and they can move guys around based on injury, etc. but only pitcher for pitcher and positional for positional. No reason to have 12 pitchers in Oct.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They should keep like 30 guys and see if anyone notices.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think people are confused about the August 31 date. The actual Playoff roster is not set on August 31, but the players eligible for the playoff roster are set. To be eligible for the playoff roster, you must be on the active 25 man roster, the DL, or one of the other leave lists (bereavement, suspension, etc.) at midnight of Aug 31. Through September, the 25-man roster goes away and doesn't return until the end of the regular season when the 25-man Playoff rosters need to be submitted. If a player gets hurt in September/October, the team can add another member of the 40-man roster not on the original playoff eligible list if the hurt player is placed on the 60-day DL.

So, it would be smart for the Brewers to leave Weeks and Gomez on the DL until September 1 at the earliest. That way, they will have 27 guys to choose from for the Playoff roster. I'm sure they already have an idea of who will be on the playoff roster, but it would just be nice to be able to have a few options in case someone unexpected gets extremely hot... or something like that.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding this right, so please help me out. But if September 1st comes around and the Brewers still have 12 pitchers on the 25 man, they're stuck with a 12 man playoff staff because DL guys can only replace position player for position player or pitcher for pitcher. Is this right, or am I missing something?

If that is the case, I really hope that either Gamel is up for a pitcher or Gomez for one before Sep 1st. Then, Wilson can be left off the roster for Weeks.

I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding this right, so please help me out. But if September 1st comes around and the Brewers still have 12 pitchers on the 25 man, they're stuck with a 12 man playoff staff because DL guys can only replace position player for position player or pitcher for pitcher. Is this right, or am I missing something?

If that is the case, I really hope that either Gamel is up for a pitcher or Gomez for one before Sep 1st. Then, Wilson can be left off the roster for Weeks.

You are kind of missing something. If the Brewers had no one on the DL/suspended/etc. and no one got hurt in September, then yes their roster on 9/1 would be the playoff roster. However, since they will (or should) still have 2 guys on the DL, they can CHOOSE from the 25 man as of 9/1 plus the 2 DL guys. So they would have a list of 27 players to choose from and likely at least one pitcher will be replaced by one of the DL guys. The 8/31 deadline just sets the list of who is eligible and then each team chooses 25 from that list prior to each playoff series.

As for the injuries in September, the replacement player must be added to the 40 man but doesn't have to be on it when the injury occurs. In other words, it can be anyone in the organization. They would just have to be added to the 40 man to play. And as for the position player for position player/pitcher for pitcher thing, I knew that was the case a few years ago but I thought I read that they have abandoned that rule. But I'm not positive. If anyone has any links or anything to clarify, please share.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived