Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Green called up

Oldcity
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice move. Surprised it took this long. With the 40 man roster full I assume there's a corresponding move (likely Kintzler to the 60-day DL).
a spot was opened up when felipe lopez was outrighted to the minor leagues. the roster is back to 40.

This now absolutely means Green is not a PTBNL in the Krod deal.
Haudricourt was assuring us of this repeatedly over the past month-plus. He's also said that those PTBNLs are likely to be low-level guys we won't miss, which has made it pretty safe to infer they're not getting legit prospects (Thornburg, etc.) or MLB-ready players (McClendon or Fiers or Peralta or Rivas, for example, though Rivas clearly hasn't been very good in AAA).

Don't be surprised to see Mcgehee's numbers to increase. With the threat of losing time to a better hitter, Casey's going to start focusing on his approach and will get hot... Mark my words

I would like to think for Casey's sake that if it were that easy, he would have been doing it all year, threat to his job or not.

Don't be surprised to see Mcgehee's numbers to increase. With the threat of losing time to a better hitter, Casey's going to start focusing on his approach and will get hot... Mark my words

I would like to think for Casey's sake that if it were that easy, he would have been doing it all year, threat to his job or not.

Guys like McGegee have literally millions of dollars riding on their performance. Lack of motivation is not an issue.

Yeah, Casey will be entering arbitration next year and he's gone from looking at a possible multi-year, multi-million dollar deal to a possible non-tender. Considering his entire financial future pretty much rests on whether or not he improves from where he's at now, I doubt the threat of him being relegated to the bench is going to give him more incentive to get hot than he already had.

No doubt McGehee's had a sub-standard year, but I think notions of him as a possible non-tender are beyond ridiculous.

Anyone on the DL through Sept. 1st are still playoff-eligible.

On the flip side, if a sure-bet playoff roster guy goes onto the DL in Sept. and cannot play, he can be replaced by someone already in the minor league system even if he's not presently on the roster. That's how K-Rod got called up during Sept. & made the playoff roster when he first came up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nice move. Surprised it took this long. With the 40 man roster full I assume there's a corresponding move (likely Kintzler to the 60-day DL).
a spot was opened up when felipe lopez was outrighted to the minor leagues. the roster is back to 40.
Yup. I've already erased Felipe from my memory. Heh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Good news, good move. And nice scoop, Stevo! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Looking forward to seeing Green get plenty of playing time at 3B. But I realize that's probably a pipe dream, as McGehee's leash is unlimited.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Great news, now call up Gamel and DFA Wilson. As long as Gamel and Green are on the 25 man September 1st, it doesn't matter if Gomez and Weeks come back, they are still playoff eligible, right?
it matters if they come back, but it doesn't really matter when they come back. both gomez and weeks are eligible for post-season play regardless of their roster status as of 31 august.

the brewers would be foolish to activate either player prior to 1 september.

Thanks guys.

This move really makes their bench much stronger. Here's hoping Hairston and even Counsell (since he has to play occasionally too) start taking starts from Yuni right away. I also like the idea of calling up Gamel for Wilson before Sept. 1. Wilson is now the fourth-best shortstop, fourth-best second baseman, and fourth-best third baseman on the team. There is no need for that.

Even though this has been made much later than it should have been, I am still relieved. I was not convinced they'd do this in time to put him on the playoff roster.

I've certainly read enough of late about how AAA success can mean absolutely nothing in the bigs. That being said, Green could also explode onto the scene much in the same manner as did Misters Braun & Fielder. Should that prove to be the case, we are in for one heck of a fun ride going forward. Welcome, young Mr. Green. May the beginning of your MLB career be all that you, me, and many, many others hoped it would be.

Based on what I've seen previously, Green has a decent shot of seeing some kind of game time off the bench today, I can't think of the last time a position player started a game the day they were called up for the Brewers. I can see him getting a Sunday start if the Cubs are throwing a righty.

Based on what I've seen previously, Green has a decent shot of seeing some kind of game time off the bench today, I can't think of the last time a position player started a game the day they were called up for the Brewers. I can see him getting a Sunday start if the Cubs are throwing a righty.
He won't start tonight. Haudricourt (I think) mentioned that McGehee has pretty good numbers against Dempster.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived