Brewer Fanatic

Why do we still have 13 pitchers?

brwrsfan
Doesn't roster expansion get rid of the 10-day thing? It seems to me that a few years ago, a team optioned a player on August 31 without even sending him out of town.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

nearly everyone has concluded that they can get by in the post-season with an 11-man staff, which would allow them an extra position player to choose from.

the only thing i can can consider is that the brewers want flexibility

Does "nearly everyone" include Melvin and RR?

If I understand correctly, as things stand now, the Brewers could choose 25 players for post season from a group of 27. The 27 includes the 12 pitchers and 15 position players Weeks, Gomez plus the current roster, this gives them the flexibility to go with 11 or 12 pitchers in the NLDS and, as you indicated, if they go with 11 they would be able to make a change to the 11 for the NLCS or WS.

If they go to 11 pitchers, what is the benefit? They are surely not going to go with fewer that 10 pitchers in the post-season, so what advantage is there to adding an additional position player to the post-season eligible list?

If I understand correctly, as things stand now, the Brewers could choose 25 players for post season from a group of 27. The 27 includes the 12 pitchers and 15 position players Weeks, Gomez plus the current roster, this gives them the flexibility to go with 11 or 12 pitchers in the NLDS and, as you indicated, if they go with 11 they would be able to make a change to the 11 for the NLCS or WS.

If they go to 11 pitchers, what is the benefit? They are surely not going to go with fewer that 10 pitchers in the post-season, so what advantage is there to adding an additional position player to the post-season eligible list?

I know there's a rule where a position player can only be substituted for a position player, and a pitcher for a pitcher. Does this rule go from the Sept 1 roster, or the initial playoff roster? If it is from the initial playoff roster, than what you say could be what they're doing. I would still like to see Gamel available, and since Wilson/Counsell are bad & redundant, it would be easy to bring up Gamel and let one of Wilson / Counsell go.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1) They are only using 11 pitchers now, and in the post season they will not need 5 starting pitchers. I could even see them dropping down to 10 pitchers in the post season as a result. and 2) Having an extra bat on the post season bench could keep things like CC Sabathia pinch hitting for Jeff Suppan happening. Or, y'know, George Kottaras or Craig Counsell getting a big AB.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Seems like the complaints are more about who is on the roster, rather than the possible make-up of the post-season roster (in terms of number of pitchers and number of position players)? They could have 10, 11, or 12 pitchers in the post season as things stand now, that covers the entire range of possibilities.

I think you have to start from the assumption that, barring injury, no one on the post-season roster was going to be named Gamel. While people here may disagree, it appears that decision had already been made by the Brewers.

I know there's a rule where a position player can only be substituted for a position player, and a pitcher for a pitcher. Does this rule go from the Sept 1 roster, or the initial playoff roster?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think that applies to injuries that occur during a post-season series.

There seems to be a fair amount of leeway to determine who goes on those rosters to start each series. I believe that GMs can work with the 25-plus players that are determined this week, and if players are injured in September, they can draw from anyone who was on the 40-man roster on August 31.

There seems to be a fair amount of leeway to determine who goes on those rosters to start each series. I believe that GMs can work with the 25-plus players that are determined this week, and if players are injured in September, they can draw from anyone who was on the 40-man roster on August 31.
francisco rodriguez was not on the 40-man roster for the anaheim angels as of 1 september 2002: 9/15/02 transaction

his contract was selected, meaning he was added to the 40-man roster on 9/15/02.

i believe that a club can draw from any player within the organization if replacing an injured player, provided they first add that player to the 40-man roster (if he isn't on there already).

I think MLB might have closed that loophole since then. I know the rules are tighter than they were a few years ago. They're not ridiculously restrictive, though.

if replacement players for injured players in the post-season must be on the 40-man roster as of 31 august, it's not fair to the brewers if the mets wait until after 31 august to select the players to be named and one or both of those players hold 40-man roster spots.

let's look at the catcher position and let's assume (for sake of discussion only) that both lucroy and kottaras are lost to injury in game one of the division series. martin maldonado is the only other catcher on the 40-man roster, but mike rivera is still part of the brewers' organization. the brewers should be able to pull both of them and play both of them in the division series.

I've said this in other threads but will repeat again. In the case of an injury, the replacement player can be anyone that was in the organization as of 8/31. They didn't need to be on the 40 man at that time but must be added to it before being used as a replacement.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Doesn't roster expansion get rid of the 10-day thing? It seems to me that a few years ago, a team optioned a player on August 31 without even sending him out of town.
last year, the reds optioned edison volquez on 31 august and recalled him on 7 september (less than a ten day period). no other player was placed on the disabled list by the reds between those dates, so he wasn't replacing an injured player.

last year, the reds optioned edison volquez on 31 august and recalled him on 7 september (less than a ten day period). no other player was placed on the disabled list by the reds between those dates, so he wasn't replacing an injured player.

I believe that if the minor league season has ended for the club he was on, he can immediately come back to the majors in September. Ten days later or not.

Archived