Brewer Fanatic

Why do we still have 13 pitchers?

brwrsfan

I'm trying to figure out why we haven't yet made a roster move. We barely had a need for 12 pitchers (See Tim Dillard), I understand it with the DH and all that, but at this point, we really don't need them all. We were off yesterday and are off on Monday, so we certainly don't need that many guys.

This seems like the perfect time to make a move and bring up Green or Gamel so they are definitely eligible for the playoff roster. Not to mention give us some sort of bat on the bench. Any ideas on why we haven't done this and what they're waiting for? de la Cruz has no options so they might not want to risk losing him, but Dillard does. He's not likely to be on the playoff roster anyway and we'd be able to bring him back up in 10 days with the expanded rosters anyway. Thoughts?

Because Green is a rookie, and therefore absolutely has no chance of success. This is proven by Gamel's handful of PAs this season.

Honestly, I'd guess they're waiting to see when Gomez & Weeks will return. Gomez seems intent on being back soon, and Rickie was on a pre-game saying he's running with no pain right now, and hoping the training staff gives him the go-ahead soon. I'd also guess that since Dillard's last outing looked pretty good, while de la Cruz did not, the team may be scratching their heads as to what to do. We could send Dillard down without losing him, but we would potentially lose de la Cruz (whose mid-90's FB would look good in the 2012 pen) if we take him off the 25-man. I would love to see at least one of Gamel and Green on the roster by Aug 31, so they could be on the playoff roster, but I just can't believe it's going to happen with the way this season's played out. I certainly hope the confusing roster management doesn't cost us a playoff series.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd imagine that there will be a move made today. My guess being Dillard gets sent down and Gamel coming up. I can't imagine Weeks or Gomez being activated before Sept 1st as it will let them have a bit of additional flexibility on who to keep come playoff time.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

According to McCalvy a few days ago, RR and Doug were scheduled to meet today to decide on roster moves regarding the pitching and also to discuss who will be called up when rosters expand. That doesn't mean there will be any announcements today.

Easiest explanation is that a move hasn't been made yet because it doesn't NEED to be made yet. No reason to activate Weeks or Gomez until they're ready to play. And they still have a week to decide if they want to bring up Gamel, Green, or anyone else prior to 8/31. Just makes sense not to make any moves until they need to be made. I rather have Gamel, Green, Gindl...anyone else continue to get all their ABs instead of sitting on the bench in Milwaukee for a week.

I rather have Gamel, Green, Gindl...anyone else continue to get all their ABs instead of sitting on the bench in Milwaukee for a week.

I'd argue that we could find plenty of PT for Green, but I agree with you that it won't happen. I just hope that one or both of Gamel & Green are up prior to Sept 1. I doubt Gindl has much chance of making the playoff roster, so I expect to see him after the AAA season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Easiest explanation is that a move hasn't been made yet because it doesn't NEED to be made yet. No reason to activate Weeks or Gomez until they're ready to play. And they still have a week to decide if they want to bring up Gamel, Green, or anyone else prior to 8/31. Just makes sense not to make any moves until they need to be made. I rather have Gamel, Green, Gindl...anyone else continue to get all their ABs instead of sitting on the bench in Milwaukee for a week.
Does anyone know if a player gets sent down and their minor league team is finished for the season do they still have to wait 10 days of rosters have expanded?

Well, you're right, they don't need to be made yet, but hopefully before game time tonight. I'd argue that we need pinch hitters and more double-switch flexibility than we need a 13th pitcher. Agree? Those minor leaguers will be sitting on the bench in less than a week anyway. Their development won't be hampered by being up a few days early.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

A move doesn't need to be mad for Weeks/Gomez, sure. They would be smart to wait until after September 1st to give themselves more flexibility with the playoff roster. I'm not arguing them, but they're likely not going to have Dillard on the playoff roster anyway (he rarely pitches, plus Narveson will be in the pen as an extra arm). By bringing Gamel/Green up now, they could at least be eligible, and I think we could find time for them, Green especially. At the very least have as a PH option. The minor league season is just about over, they've both played full years in AAA and done well.

Bringing them up and putting them on the bench now as opposed to 1.5 weeks from now shouldn't make much difference.

Plus we're just wasting roster spots. Dillard was barely used at all as the 12th pitcher...he's now the 13th pitcher. We didn't need him as the 12th and we certainly don't need him as the 13th. That roster spot could be better served by virtually any position player we have in AAA. I'm not talking Weeks/Gomez as they won't be ready in the next few days anyway.

Now that Narveson is in the bullpen as well for a week, two pitchers could easily be sent out without a problem. I think they'll make a move soon. The only guy I see having a shot of being on the playoff roster is Gamel, so it'll likely be him. Maybe Lopez will be brought back too since he made it through waivers to AAA.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Here's McCalvy's blurb from a few days ago that I referred to:

Last call

• Manager Ron Roenicke and general manager Doug Melvin will meet Friday at Miller Park to discuss whether to return to a 13-position player, 12-pitcher alignment for the final week before rosters expand Sept. 1. The Brewers are currently carrying an extra pitcher.

Roenicke and Melvin will also discuss September callups, though the list will probably be limited. Triple-A catcher Martin Maldonado will probably be on the list, and rehabbing center fielder Carlos Gomez (fractured collarbone) could be ready to return from the DL by that date. All teams add a pitcher or two to protect the bullpen.

"Doug doesn't want a big group, either," Roenicke said. "But we don't want to be short on areas. We want to be pretty specific with what we want, maybe a defensive guy, maybe a basestealer."

Link

Good idea Roenicke, why put yourself in a position where you may have that extra guy who could help you win a game? I sure like watching Counsell and Wilson trot up there late in the game to pinch hit. It'd be terrible to have a good hitter available.

From Roenicke's quote, we'll bring up Maldonado and Farris.

~Bill Walsh

While I do think they should probably shed a pticher and bring in another bench bat, it's pretty clear that Dm and RR are very concerned about not upsetting the apple cart a whole lot at this point. They're on a roll, and while they can certainly be better I think that the internal perception is that the tteam is where it is due in no small part to the internal environment. That's not to say that those intangibles come anywhere near being as important as Braun/Fielder, the starting pitching and the back end of the bullpen. But, apart from the really important stuff this is a team in which everyone knows their roles, everyone seems to be comfortable with their role and everyone seems to be having fun.

This team doesn't really need a savior, and there isn't a savior out there anyhow. They may as well make sure they make a move they are happy with because whatever move they make will probably have minimal impact on what happens going forward in any event. It makes no sense to make a move just to make a move, and it certainly won't make sense in September to flood the clubhouse with a bunch of guys who are frankly just there for the ride. What this club need now, more than anything, is to focus on baseball and maintain the good vibe they have going. Introducing new elements into the mix without good reason will likely only distract folks from that goal.

Do I wish they had maybe experimented more in the regular season with some other guys and looked for bench/lineup upgrades? Sure, but at this point I think that ship has sailed.

before august 31st passes, somebody needs to retitle this thread, "why do we still have 12 pitchers?"

i'd much rather that the brewers have a 11-man pitching staff in the postseason and an extra position player available off the bench.

so . . . the brewers are 40 hours or so from having their 25-man roster set for player eligible for the playoffs, and i can't figure out why they're carrying a 12-man pitching staff.

nearly everyone has concluded that they can get by in the post-season with an 11-man staff, which would allow them an extra position player to choose from.

the only thing i can can consider is that the brewers want flexibility if they advance to the next round, but said achievement happens with a pitcher that performs horribly (without being injured), and they want to remove that pitcher from the subsequent round of playoffs and have another pitcher take his place.

if they go to an 11-man staff in the next 40 hours, the brewers don't have to worry about being short-handed in the pitching department, because they can call up any healthy pitcher on their 40-man roster not named tim dillard the very next day and have them ready to pitch on 1 september.

if you were doug melvin, what would you do?

It will certainly be nice once Gomez and Weeks return so the number one RH pinch hitting option is someone other than Josh Wilson.

Yep, in my dream world it'll shift to being YuniB. Even worse.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived