Brewer Fanatic

What is Marcum's trade value?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about Marcum to Boston for Jed Lowrie, Lars Anderson, and a top two pitching prospect?
That would be a horrible deal. Lowrie is just not worth anything at all and Anderson has very little if any value. If I were trading with Boston and trading Marcum here are the players I would want: Xander Bogaerts and Drake Britton. Bogaerts may not be a short stop in the future as he fills out but he should be able to handle 3B or a corner OF spot. He definitely has the tools offensively to play either 3B or a corner OF spot. Very comparable to Hanley Ramirez but less so on the defensive side and that is why he may have to be moved to 3B.

The earliest you would see any of these guys would be in late 2013 with Britton and probably somewhere around 2014-2015 for Bogaerts. But this would be the best trade the Brewers could hope for other than getting Banuelos. I don't believe the Brewers could get both Bogaerts and Britton for Marcum. Maybe a Britton, Anderson, and another lower player for Marcum. Bogaerts is the real target the Brewers should go after in Boston as he may come expendable if they believe he is a SS as Iglesias has that locked down. Iglesias is another reason why Lowrie has absolutely no trade value as the Red Sox may just let Lowrie go for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Grienke needs to be signed. Marcum??? It depends on how the contract is structured. Wolf comes off the books soon and Marcums deal could replace his....possibly.

Trade wise, Marcum might be our best chip, but I am not sure what we have to replace him with.... is a minor leaguer ready? Our recent draft picks likely will not be ready for 3+ years. Maybe we buy out his last Arby year and do a 4 year 35 mil deal?

This team will really need pitching as it loses a big offensive cog in Prince...besides the teams with the best pitching staffs are always in the race...

Tough decisions ahead.

Well Peralta and Fiers would be the two minor leaguers who have the best shot at being ready. Milwaukee was even considering Peralta at the beginning of this season but he struggles in spring training. There's always Marco Estrada too. I think if you can get a good pitching or shortstop prospect for Marcum you pull the plug. It's definitely risky though. You have to hope Wolf can repeat his success from this season, hope that Narveson can improve a bit, hope that you aren't bitten by the injury bug, hope that a rookie can pitch well enough to stay in the rotation. The more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that the Brewers trade Marcum, though I agree he probably is the best trading chip we have.

How about sending him home to Kansas City for Alex Gordon, or Billy Butler plus a prospect? Either of those guys could step in nicely at first, and with Hosmer, they will could probably move one.
I really doubt a team like KC is going to be interested in a one year rental like Marcum. They really aren't close to contending yet.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah, I think Marcum this coming off-season may be like Prince this previous off-season. With only one year left, I don't think we are going to get teams offering near enough to make it worth trading him.
If you want to trade pitching this is probably a really good year to do it. The Red Sox have serious issues in their rotation. The Yankees have 2-3 openings. The Mets need pitching. Texas could be in need of pitching. The Twins really need pitching.

Yeah, I think Marcum this coming off-season may be like Prince this previous off-season. With only one year left, I don't think we are going to get teams offering near enough to make it worth trading him.
That is a very poor analogy as the two are not even comparable. For one the market for Prince was very low and it was very low for any 1B/DH type of a player in the trade market as the teams that needed a player like Prince were not going to be contending even with him so that made his trade value even less. There were also enough free agent players to fill a role that Prince would do at a lower cost and not cost a few good prospects. Now compare that to Marcum where you have the Yankees, Mariners, White Sox, Red Sox, Mets, Twins, and the Rangers all looking for starting pitching this off season and you have a perfect storm where there is going to be more demand than there will be supply of good pitchers. The Nationals and the Orioles could also be wild cards in this frenzy. The two situations really are not comparable at all the only thing they have similarities with each other is that each have only one year left and that is it the comparisons end right there.

If the Yankees falter against Detroit they will be going after starting pitching hard this off season and since there really is only one good pitcher in free agency and that is CJ Wilson who is more than likely will be resigned by the Rangers that leaves the trade market to find a good #2 or #3 pitcher. I don't see the Yankees going after Jackson and if they do they still need another option for their #3 or #2 in their rotation. I am not sure the Yankees will continue to have the rotation they have right now and I believe the Yankees see Jackson as more of a Burnett type of a pitcher and I don't see them going down that road again. Now the Red Sox also have a hole in their rotation and you can bet they want to move Beckett and Lackey down to the #4 and 5 spot that leaves a spot at the #3 for someone to fill. Marcum would be the perfect fit for the Red Sox.

That is just two teams who could use Marcum I am not even going to touch on the Twins, White Sox, Mets, Rangers, Nationals, Orioles, Tigers, and the Mariners. The list of teams that need starting pitching is long and the holes in the rotations of those teams are also just as bad as the Red Sox and the Yankees. I just can not see how Marcum's value is not higher than it ever will be this coming off season.

You guys might want to wait for a few weeks to actually talk about this. If he goes 8 tomorrow night and wins and then continues in the NLCS and hopefully the World Series, perceptions will change...on both sides of the argument.
For me they won't. I prefer Marcum to be traded this off season as he gives the Brewers the most value in a trade.

For me they won't. I prefer Marcum to be traded this off season as he gives the Brewers the most value in a trade.
What if he has as similar season again next year and helps the team return to the playoffs, then leaves in FA and nets the team compensation draft picks?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What if he has as similar season again next year and helps the team return to the playoffs, then leaves in FA and nets the team compensation draft picks?
Compensation picks may not exist in that FA year. Plus I would rather build for 2013-2018 than just for 2012. I believe the Brewers have another window of an opportunity again from that period.

I prefer to actually try and win next season and not start taking apart the team.

If you can replace him with someone who could possibly help the team next season and then for 5 seasons after that, wouldn't you at least have to consider it? There's no guarantee this is a playoff team next season even with the same rotation. Wolf had a very good year this year and may fall back a bit. We were very lucky with the injury bug this season which could change. And obviously if Prince leaves he takes a HUGE part of the offense with him. Teams are always looking for pitching and tend to overpay for it. Boston missed the playoffs because their team ERA in September was almost 6. I'd rather take my chances on 6 years of a top pitching prospect than one more year of Marcum. And who knows. If for whatever reason the Brewers can't resign Marcum and Greinke the 2013 team may be no better than the 2010 Brewers.

Regarding draft pick compensation, the Brewers haven't exactly been nabbing top prospects in the draft lately. Jungmann and Bradley may hopefully change that, but the past two or three drafts have produced very little.

I don't think Marcum is irreplaceable by any means. Yes he's posted impressive ERA's the last couple years but keep in mind runs are down all over baseball the last couple of years. I think dealing him or Wolf (but not both) makes tons of sense economically as they have one huge hole to fill in the offense.

As long as Gallardo and Greinke are healthy, they have the makings of a top rotation. Whoever they keep between Marcum and Wolf is a solid 3. Melvin proved last offseason he can deal for a starter. There's every chance a team wanting a veteran starter would part with a young one too. Peralta is on the verge of being ready. At most, he could use 10-12 more AAA starts. Narveson's proven he can provide a quality 5th starter at a value price. Throw Estrada, De la Cruz and Fiers into the mix as well.

While not identical situations; Marcum could pull a Suppan and exhorbintantly increase his value with a good postseason thereby forcing a team to way overpay for him. Obviously Soup was a FA after the season but you get my point.

Either way Marcum should net a legitimate prospect in return; you probably couldn't get a Lawrie type for him again since he only has a year left before FA but I would think we could still get a real solid return.

That being said I don't think I want to trade him at all. I love the guy.

Unless we can get a huge haul for Marcum, I'd rather keep him for next season. He was a huge part of this season, and has proven to me that he is a legit #2 pitcher on most staffs.

I'd much rather see them trade Wolf, and let Fiers, Peralta and Estrada battle it out for the #5 starter role.

I'd been thinking this and finally read it, from Tom Haudricourt, written on Twitter just after the grand slam tonight:

"For whatever reason, Marcum just hasn't been the same pitcher the last few weeks. Lower velocity. Worse command. Almost as if he's hurting."

Marcum's always around the plate. Tonight he was either not close, constantly nibbling (and doing so very poorly), or extremely hittable. TH might be onto something.

I'd been thinking this and finally read it, from Tom Haudricourt, written on Twitter just after the grand slam tonight:

"For whatever reason, Marcum just hasn't been the same pitcher the last few weeks. Lower velocity. Worse command. Almost as if he's hurting."

Marcum's always around the plate. Tonight he was either not close, constantly nibbling (and doing so very poorly), or extremely hittable. TH might be onto something.

Well, for what it's worth, Marcum had this to say after the game:

"I felt great today," Marcum insisted. "I actually felt better than I

have for the last month or so. I'm a location guy. If I miss location

I'm going to get hit and that happened today."

http://www.jsonline.com/s...s/brewers/131111288.html

I've said it before. Marcum just isn't a top of the rotation guy. Since he's making just under $4 million this year, his arby award shouldn't be too bad by itself, but this team owes their number 4 another $11 million (assuming his 13 option isn't picked up) and if Marcum gets say $8 million in arbitration, that's $19 million for your 3rd and 4th starters both of whom you likely won't control for more than one year anyway. A team like the Brewers could only pay their 3 and 4 guys that much if one of the top 2 was still pre-arby, but that is certainly not the case. One of those two has to go (both if they were to somehow retain Fielder), regardless of return. The good news is we are talking about replacing a 3 or a 4. As good as Marcum and Wolf have been, that's a lot easier than replacing either Yo or Greinke.

They have by my count, 4 major league ready starting candidates (Estrada, Peralta, De la Cruz, Fiers) all save Estrada, will have 3 more pre arby years available, critical if they are going to pay Greinke to stick around. I'm sure Melvin will keep his eyes open for others as well.

Marcum for a prospect, major league ready shortstop makes all too much sense. I'm not sure who is available though. Some people brought up that guy from the White Sox, but anyone else? Bentancourt really needs to go.

After the last two games I think we will get a lot less for either pitcher if for some reason we lose Game 5 and they don't get a chance to redeem themselves. I hoping we win Game 5 (duh) and then they pitch amazingly the rest of the playoffs....

Perfect world: We win the World Series and trade one or the other for a good, young SS.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

After the last two games I think we will get a lot less for either pitcher if for some reason we lose Game 5 and they don't get a chance to redeem themselves. I hoping we win Game 5 (duh) and then they pitch amazingly the rest of the playoffs....

Perfect world: We win the World Series and trade one or the other for a good, young SS.

One game will not have any impact on a players trade value. Why do people still believe that what a player does for one game sets their value? If Marcum would have thrown a 27 strike out perfect game on Tuesday his value wouldn't have increased because of that one game. If Marcum would have only lasted one inning on Tuesday his value wouldn't have decreased at all either. The same is true about Wolf. I just do not get this notion that this one game makes or breaks a players value.

Marcum's value is going to be high this off season not because of what he did this season but because there is a shortage in good starting pitching this off season. Short of Jackson and Wilson there is no one on the market that are better. I would put Marcum ahead of Jackson and just behind Wilson as the best pitchers available this coming off season. With there being so many teams needing starting pitching this coming off season Marcum's value is not going to change all that much no matter what he does in the playoffs.

Trust me, I do not want an argument here since I actually agree with you for the most part, but don't you think there is psychological factor here that takes place. I agree that most GM's realize that one game doesn't make or break a pitcher, but don't you think the last couple games of a season might eat at the brains of other GMs a little more than most games? I guess I should have been more detailed instead of making a generalization, but if a pitchers last game (especially on a national stage) is either really good or really bad, I have to imagine that it would affect things slightly. If Soup stinks up the joint in the playoffs, I can't believe we would have given him the contract he received.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived