Brewer Fanatic

Team/Player Salary Page

rluzinski

I'll probably still use Cots because it lists contract details on the general team page, but it's nice to see somebody else put together a nice database. On a side note, I hate those fake 3-d pie graphs. When I'm elected King of B-Pro, I will ban those.

The ranking (high to low), money they spend, and my comments about where they are currently ranked for making playoffs. Per usual - spending money doesn't guarantee you to win a World Series but it greatly increases your probability on making the playoffs. As 8 of the top 15 teams are either in the playoffs (6 teams) or very close (2 teams are two games back). Where as the bottom 15 teams in terms of spending, 5 are in last place in their division.

Team Salary Current Playoff Position
New York Yankees $ 207,047,964.00 Wild Card
Philadelphia Phillies $ 165,976,381.00 1 seed
Boston Red Sox $ 164,877,476.00 1 seed
Los Angeles Angels $ 145,398,524.00 2 games behind division lead
New York Mets $ 142,797,167.00 Out
Chicago Cubs $ 134,329,000.00 Stink
Chicago White Sox $ 127,789,000.00 6 games back
San Francisco Giants $ 118,198,333.00 2 games behind division lead
Minnesota Twins $ 113,237,000.00 I thought they were "small" market
St. Louis Cardinals $ 109,798,000.00 10 GAMES BACK!
Los Angeles Dodgers $ 108,388,167.00 Out
Detroit Tigers $ 106,953,000.00 3 seed
Texas Rangers $ 93,923,420.00 2 seed
Seattle Mariners $ 93,623,191.00 Last Place
Atlanta Braves $ 92,205,750.00 Wild Card
Baltimore Orioles $ 86,989,250.00 Last Place
Milwaukee Brewers $ 84,253,333.00 2 seed!!
Colorado Rockies $ 82,311,404.00 Out
Cincinnati Reds $ 80,826,667.00 Out
Houston Astros $ 77,694,000.00 Last Place
Toronto Blue Jays $ 70,317,800.00 Over 500
Washington Nationals $ 67,956,929.00 almost 500
Oakland Athletics $ 67,094,000.00 Finished
Florida Marlins $ 57,695,000.00 Last Place
Arizona Diamondbacks $ 54,989,833.00 3 seed
Cleveland Indians $ 49,426,567.00 6 games back
San Diego Padres $ 45,869,140.00 Last Place
Pittsburgh Pirates $ 44,247,000.00 Trying to hit 500
Tampa Bay Rays $ 43,171,308.00 70-59 and not anywhere near the playoffs
Kansas City Royals $ 39,506,000.00 Last Place

You can definitely use the Twins to gauge what's possible for the Brewers. It goes to show what consistent competitive baseball allows for as far as payroll flexibility.
They spent 30M more than the Brewers this year. It has nothing to do with consistent and competitive, no one went to see them when they played in the Metrodome. It has to do with charging higher ticket prices in a brand new stadium.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

You can definitely use the Twins to gauge what's possible for the Brewers. It goes to show what consistent competitive baseball allows for as far as payroll flexibility.
They spent 30M more than the Brewers this year. It has nothing to do with consistent and competitive, no one went to see them when they played in the Metrodome. It has to do with charging higher ticket prices in a brand new stadium.
And not really being that small of a market to begin with.

Personally, I think the Twins are in really bad shape for years to come. The contract that they gave Mauer could go down as one of the worst in sports history. We can debate how well Prince will age all we want, but the Twins gave a guy with no discernible power and a history of knee issues $180 some million. They are on the hook to Mauer for $23 million for each of the next seven seasons, and for the next few they will be paying he and a guy with concussion issues (Morneau) $37 million combined. Once the luster of the new ballpark wears off in Minnesota- not to mention the weather up there and the fact that Minnesotans are even worse bandwagon jumpers than Wisconsinites- things don't bode well for them maintaining such a huge payroll for the long term.

They have very little in common. Also, the Twins have fans in western WI and the Dakotas. MKE is bordered by more populated areas on 3 sides and the 4th is a body of water.

Personally, I think the Twins are in really bad shape for years to come. The contract that they gave Mauer could go down as one of the worst in sports history. We can debate how well Prince will age all we want, but the Twins gave a guy with no discernible power and a history of knee issues $180 some million. They are on the hook to Mauer for $23 million for each of the next seven seasons, and for the next few they will be paying he and a guy with concussion issues (Morneau) $37 million combined. Once the luster of the new ballpark wears off in Minnesota- not to mention the weather up there and the fact that Minnesotans are even worse bandwagon jumpers than Wisconsinites- things don't bode well for them maintaining such a huge payroll for the long term.

The Twins biggest issue after the M&M boys is a bad pitching core. They only really have one good pitcher in Baker and the rest are average. Their bullpen is bad. The cupboard in the minors is bare for pitching prospects. Kyle Gibson is their only top end prospect but he was unproductive this year before getting hurt. He may need Tommy John if some rehad doesnt go well.

It will be interesting to see how their attendance suffers if they continue to struggle. They are 4th in attendance right now but something tells me they are not seeing that many actually show up to the stadium.

The Twins have a larger television and radio market up there, that's true. However the fan base is very fickle. In my view, that team has been playing over it's head for the large part of the past decade, but one bad season and you would not believe the level of apathy and vitriol toward the team up there. I never thought that I'd see the day where Mauer was booed. Another thing to consider is that the Cities are a '4 major sport' town again, not to mention everything else going on up there. There is a ton of competition for the entertainment dollar up there. The new stadium gives them all kinds of new revenue streams, but if people stop showing up, and stop selling out the suites, the Pohlad boys aren't going to take big losses on that team.

The Twins have a larger television and radio market up there, that's true. However the fan base is very fickle. In my view, that team has been playing over it's head for the large part of the past decade, but one bad season and you would not believe the level of apathy and vitriol toward the team up there. I never thought that I'd see the day where Mauer was booed. Another thing to consider is that the Cities are a '4 major sport' town again, not to mention everything else going on up there. There is a ton of competition for the entertainment dollar up there. The new stadium gives them all kinds of new revenue streams, but if people stop showing up, and stop selling out the suites, the Pohlad boys aren't going to take big losses on that team.
Let's see how fast Milwaukee's attendance drops if they don't do well. There are always diehard fans in any sport but you don't get good attendance when you don't win. Gate receipts are just a small portion of revenue. Their market size means they can get a bigger TV contract which is a huge advantage.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Let's see how fast Milwaukee's attendance drops if they don't do well.

Of course, but they won't be maintaining a $113 million payroll anytime soon either. I'll be interested to see the Target Field attendance next season after this year and when the luster is starting to wear off.

Gate receipts are just a small portion of revenue. Their market size means they can get a bigger TV contract which is a huge advantage.

If that's the case, then why did the Twins (and the Brewers) demand new stadiums under duress?

I'm not arguing that the Twin Cities isn't a bigger market. I'm just stating that there is no way they will maintain that kind of a payroll down the road unless they can keep selling out the stadium. Everyone uses the 'Metrodome sucks' excuse, but the fact is that sports fans up there are the most fickle that I've ever seen. They could be paying Joe Mauer over 25% of their payroll someday soon.

Archived