Brewer Fanatic

David Wright Cleared Waivers

Thismakes me upset. We should've put in a claim.

David Wright is someone we should be targeting in my opinion for next season. He would be a HUGE upgrade at 3B and would be "relatively" affordable and under contract for the next two seasons ($15MM in 2012 and $16MM in 2013). Assuming Prince is gone after this season, a Braun-Wright 3-4 would be a nice fallback option. His numbers have fallen since going into Citi Field and I for one would see a big bump in those numbers if he called Miller Park home.

I know the Mets would have likely pulled him back off waivers and would want a big return on him, but I think if we could get an impact bat like him at 3B it would help alleviate the pressure on Braun and Weeks once Prince leaves.

Every defensive metric hates Wright's defense, and the offensive issues can't be totally blamed on Citi. Could he bounce back to be a monster hitter again? Maybe, but the cost (both in terms of salary and what you what have to trade for him) would be prohibitive. He might--and it is no guarantee-play well enough to be worth his salary, but the Brewers would be better off letting Taylor Green play for peanuts and spend that 15 millions somewhere else. (SS perhaps?)

Yep, I'd rather allocate that money elsewhere and give Taylor Green a shot at 3B. Can't afford to be paying all our guys high salaries in the future. We need to find some guys to work out on minimal salaries both in the starting lineup and on the pitching staff. We'll likely need to pay for a SS, and we're already gonna be paying Braun, Hart, and Weeks quite a bit of money. Also Morgan and Gomez are hitting arby soon. And then there's Gallardo, Greinke, Wolf, Marcum, and the rest of the staff that will be making good salaries. I don't see Melvin taking on anyone with as high of salary as Wright at this point.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Couple points from a couple different posts:

"Brewers would be better off letting Taylor Green"

"I'd rather allocate that money elsewhere and give Taylor Green a shot at 3B"

Ok, I think Green could be good too but let's look at next year's lineup minus Prince if Green is inserted. Hart is #1, Nyjer/Gomez is #2, Braun is #3, Rickie is #5, McGehee/Gamel is #6, Green/Lucroy is #7/#8...Barring a deal for Tulo or Hanley or a megadeal for Reyes for SS, all unlikely, if we have Green at 3B, we will also have an enormous gap in the middle of the lineup. Who is your cleanup hitter? Rickie seems pretty good at #5, Hart can't hit anywhere other than #1 or #2 apparently. McGehee and Lucroy aren't good options and we sure aren't going to stick a rookie in Green or Gamel at #4. I'm struggling with next year's lineup short of adding an impact middle of the lineup bat.

"We'll likely need to pay for a SS, and we're already gonna be paying Braun, Hart, and Weeks quite a bit of money."

Agreed. Who is that SS though? There isn't a SS on the market this year that I would pay much for. If you want an immediate impact SS like Hanley, "payment" will be in prospects not $. Paying for an SS may be Wolf as well, which would lower our payroll as well because I doubt Wolf is traded for a $9MM/year SS. Also, you'd pay a SS but not a 3B?

I'm not saying Wright is the answer but sticking with some combination of Green/Gamel/McGehee for 1b and 3B for next season sure looks like a pretty big piece short. It doesn't have to be Wright, but I think he's a viable option and someone like him will be considered heavily by Melvin if Prince walks. David Wright at 2 years (2012 and 2013) for $31MM isn't exactly a budget breaker especially given that Prince is gone and Greinke/Marcum could still be extended after 2012 because Wright comes off the books after 2013. Additionally, Wright will be 32 during the 2014 season and would probably not command a mega salary if we were to try and re-sign him.

I don't think the Brewers have enough left in the system to trade for David Wright. It would obviously start with Green, and you know the Mets would want Peralta or Thornburg plus probably one more guy. This has been mentioned in other threads but Milwaukee cannot keep winning by trading all of their prospects for established (and expensive) major leaguers. You have a 24 year old in AAA who is hitting .333 with a .413 OBP and 21 home runs. Obviously the team would be better in 2012 if they could get David Wright, but if you add in the prospects lost plus that fact that his salary may preventing the resigning of Marcum or Greinke and you have to wonder how much better off the team will be in the long run. If you want to have a bunch of high priced talent signed long term (Braun, Weeks, Gallardo, Hart, and hopefully Marcum and Greinke) you have to have cheap home grown players to supplement the roster.

I don't think the Brewers have enough left in the system to trade for David Wright. It would obviously start with Green, and you know the Mets would want Peralta or Thornburg plus probably one more guy. This has been mentioned in other threads but Milwaukee cannot keep winning by trading all of their prospects for established (and expensive) major leaguers. You have a 24 year old in AAA who is hitting .333 with a .413 OBP and 21 home runs. Obviously the team would be better in 2012 if they could get David Wright, but if you add in the prospects lost plus that fact that his salary may preventing the resigning of Marcum or Greinke and you have to wonder how much better off the team will be in the long run. If you want to have a bunch of high priced talent signed long term (Braun, Weeks, Gallardo, Hart, and hopefully Marcum and Greinke) you have to have cheap home grown players to supplement the roster.

This I definitely agree with. Despite what I have said in other threads, I would be more than happy to play Gamel, Green and Gindl on Opening Day 2012 if that means Prince is re-signed. I'd trade Wolf, Hart and McGehee in a heartbeat if we could get a MLB-ready prospect SS. Our high priced offensive talent would include mega deals for Braun and Fielder, a big deal for Weeks and semi-costly CF in Nyjer Gomez. However, you have league minimum players in RF, 3B and SS, as well as a pre-arby Lucroy. You have your leadoff hitter in Nyjer and your 3-4-5 locked in. Sprinkle the rookies around the rest of the lineup (New SS #2, Gamel at #6, Lucroy #7, Gindl #8) and I would be happy.

It makes some sense to me that the Brewers are exploring this idea:

2012: The pitching staff would have Narveson becoming the #4, Estrada being the #5 and Peralta having one more year in Triple AAA.

2013: Re-sign Greinke, let Marcum walk after 2012 for the draft picks. Narveson moves to #3, Peralta becomes #4 and Estrada stays #5, with Thornburg, Jungmann and Bradley in the mix for the end of 2013, beginning of 2014. Rotation gets a little thin, but you still have the #1-2 punch in Greinke-Gallardo.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who is your cleanup hitter?

I think Weeks would actually look great in the cleanup slot next year.

Hart

Morgan

Braun

Weeks

McGehee

Gamel

Lucroy

(shortstop)

Looks fine to me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived