Brewer Fanatic

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple's CEO

1992casey

Steve Jobs steps down from Apple

From the press release:

Tim Cook Named CEO and Jobs Elected Chairman of the Board

CUPERTINO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apple's Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple's Chief Operating Officer, as the company's new CEO. Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Here's an example of Jobs' attention to detail. Vic Gundotra, a guru at Google, describes a 2008 Sunday phone conversation.

"So Vic, we have an urgent issue, one that I need addressed right away. I've already assigned someone from my team to help you, and I hope you can fix this tomorrow" said Steve.

"I've been looking at the Google logo on the iPhone and I'm not happy with the icon. The second O in Google doesn't have the right yellow gradient. It's just wrong and I'm going to have Greg fix it tomorrow. Is that okay with you?"

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/googleiconh.png

I had to send that to my friend. I am sure he will be happy to know that Steve's attention to detail caused him to worry about the colors in the Google icon but not about his inability to make a phone call from inside either of his last two apartments.

I had to send that to my friend. I am sure he will be happy to know that Steve's attention to detail caused him to worry about the colors in the Google icon but not about his inability to make a phone call from inside either of his last two apartments.

isn't that more the fault of his carrier?

I've owned quite a few phones and the iPhone gets the best reception out of any of them with an internal antenna.

isn't that more the fault of his carrier?

I've owned quite a few phones and the iPhone gets the best reception out of any of them with an internal antenna.

Well other people who had ATT phones didn't have as much trouble. I'm glad your iPhone worked but from reviews and from the people I know you're the exception.

If you don't like iPhones, then put up your dukes!

;-)

I just got the new Blackberry Torch yesterday. As good as an iPhone? Probably not. But the competition is catching up to Apple pretty quick. Have to give Jobs and company credit for moving the smartphone market so significantly, though. I just have never cared for some of Apple's more draconian policies.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

iPhone's would be great if they actually could make calls.
I've rarely, maybe never, had a problem making a call from either my current iPhone or the previous one.
Again, I think its great that you're particular phone and the location you live in has worked so well for you, but the iPhone/AT&T have had well documented problems at every iteration.

I just found it funny that Jobs would be so concerned with something as trivial as the color of an icon when many of his users had to live with a 30% call drop rate.

That style over function mentality is what allowed android to pass up the iOS in my opinion. I hope the new CEO will get back to creative innovation to keep up instead of copying Android's innovations while suing them to slow development.

I just have never cared for some of Apple's more draconian policies.

How Jobs sold conformity to the hipsters[/url][/b]
And therein lies the paradox of Apple under Steve Jobs, and the key to his company’s unbelievable success. For the past quarter century, Apple has retained its credibility as the flagship brand of techno-cultural cool, even as it treats its customers with a darkly paternalistic attitude that some have dubbed “iFascism.”

Why does Apple get away with it? One answer is to say, as many have, that under Steve Jobs, the Apple user community has become something near to a cult, with its infantilized members tolerating all manner of indignities in the blind service of the leader’s vision. But that misses the central point, which is that Apple products make their users feel freer than they do when they are using other operating systems, other computers, or other devices. As The Economist pointed out in an editorial a few years ago, the most salient feature of Apple products is that they work.

The first Macintosh commercial would certainly be viewed as ironic by those who view Apple's policies as "iFascism." At the time, IBM was the Big Brother that the commercial was referring to.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I've heard from numerous people (and from reading stories on the web) that the iPhone is notorious for dropping calls. I've had a few friends get rid of their iPhones and move to an Android type model for that very reason. Until they hook up with Sprint, I won't buy one (even though I think they are really cool).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rumors are flying that Sprint will be offering iPhones fairly soon.
I was listening to Kim Komando for a bit this morning (syndicated radio technology show), and she made it sound like this was more or less a done deal.

I'm hopeful the next generation or two of iPhones will begin to use Sprint and Verizon's 4G WiMax/LTE networks. I doubt I'd switch from Android, but it would be nice to have the competition.

I've heard from numerous people (and from reading stories on the web) that the iPhone is notorious for dropping calls. I've had a few friends get rid of their iPhones and move to an Android type model for that very reason. Until they hook up with Sprint, I won't buy one (even though I think they are really cool).
Do yourself a favor and go with the HTC Evo with Sprint. No need to wait for the iPhone - the HTC Evo can do everything the iPhone can do and more with a bigger screen.

Again, I think its great that you're particular phone and the location

you live in has worked so well for you, but the iPhone/AT&T have had

well documented problems at every iteration.

One of my best friends has an iPhone through AT&T, and the sound quality is terrible (I can hardly understand him half the time) and it drops calls frequently, especially when he is in his car and switching between towers. Another one of my friends who lives in the San Francisco area was at a festival, and so many people were using the network he had to drop down to the 2G network just to place calls and send texts.

I have an internal antenna that I got for free from Sprint and it works fantastic.

iPhone's would be great if they actually could make calls.
I've rarely, maybe never, had a problem making a call from either my current iPhone or the previous one.
Can you give yours to my girlfriend then? Her phone drops calls roughly every other conversation, I can never hear what the hell she is saying on it and she has to use hands free because the touch panel stays active and it keeps disconnecting her when she puts it tup against her face. All the other bells and whistles are great, but when the primary function of your device is a failure than your device is as well.

homer and Kat, the iphone is the best I've had for reception with AT&T. I've been with them since their Cingular days (2003) and I've always had problems with dropped calls. However, that's the tradeoff I get for actually being able to make/receive calls in places in Wisconsin, Montana, and Arizona where none of my friends with other providers could. I dropped calls, but at least they connected in the first place.

The iphone has had the best reception from AT&T that I've had, although I've even noticed a huge upgrade in the last 10 months in part because of Apple addressing the failings of their network.

in part because of Apple addressing the failings of their network

I don't understand this. Wouldn't this be AT&T's network? Of course, Apple could be indirectly addressing failings by pushing AT&T. As a parallel, there've been recent stories about how hard Apple pushes Intel.

It seems to me that you have to look at the provider before looking at the device. Where I live, Verizon is good, AT&T is fair, and you can't make or receive calls on Sprint and T-Mobile. Note that nobody got a "very good" or "excellent." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Within a network, some devices do better than others, but not by leaps and bounds.

in part because of Apple addressing the failings of their network

I don't understand this. Wouldn't this be AT&T's network? Of course, Apple could be indirectly addressing failings by pushing AT&T. As a parallel, there've been recent stories about how hard Apple pushes Intel.

It seems to me that you have to look at the provider before looking at the device. Where I live, Verizon is good, AT&T is fair, and you can't make or receive calls on Sprint and T-Mobile. Note that nobody got a "very good" or "excellent." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Within a network, some devices do better than others, but not by leaps and bounds.

A lot of it is AT&T's fault, but thats why I made the original point about the Google icon issue. If Jobs is so concerned about the color of the icon Google provided you would hope he would be pushing AT&T to improve the single most important thing about his device. Unless of course he is more concerned with style over function, or rather that he can keep his fanbase satisfied with style over function.

I think if anyone has used an AT&T iPhone and some of the Android 2.2/2.3 phones on Verizon's LTE network or Sprints 4G WiMax network they wouldn't even consider an iPhone. Yet there's so many people with iPhones who wont even consider the much better options out there when its time to upgrade and I really don't understand why.

My hats off to Jobs for building such a loyal fanbase that they are willing to only purchase an inferior product. The only thing about his tenure that has bothered me is how Apple (and to be fair other companies like Microsoft) has recently tried to slow the innovation of the competition with lawsuits while at the same time copying a bunch of Android's features.

Yet there's so many people with iPhones who wont even consider the much better options out there when its time to upgrade and I really don't understand why.
I don't consider other options because the iPhone (like every single other Apple product I've ever bought) works well, and it works well for a really long time. I get a replacement iPhone every couple of years for about $20. Works for me. I bought my iMac about 5 years ago now, still works well with no problems. I have a 4 year old iPod, no problems. 3 year old iPod, also no problems. I trust the brand, and so far they haven't failed me. That's worth something, even if I could get a few extra pixels of whatever that runs 0.3 microseconds faster on the HTC whatever.

Also, mobile Internet speed doesn't bother me a whole lot as it doesn't matter with phone calls, texting or playing Angry Birds. Which is 99% of what I do on it. I just upgraded to 3G a few months ago when I got an iPhone 3GS refurb and honestly, I usually can't tell the difference between that and Edge. That's how much I use that feature, and probably why I don't care how blazing fast the other stuff is.

Yet there's so many people with iPhones who wont even consider the much better options out there when its time to upgrade and I really don't understand why.
I don't consider other options because the iPhone (like every single other Apple product I've ever bought) works well, and it works well for a really long time.
Again, I am glad the iPhone has worked so well for you, but this doesn't explain the vast majority of iPhone users since it simply doesn't work well for voice calls. Since it is a cell phone you would think this is the most important feature but many just overlook it and thats really what I don't get.

Archived