Brewer Fanatic

Nationals not interested in Fielder

PrinceEatMeat

First of all, I didn't say that I didn't think they would make the

playoffs. I was suggesting that I didn't know if they WILL make the

playoffs. I should have been more clear but what I meant was that even

if the Brewers are the favorites to win the Cenral next year (and they

probably will be), it still could be coinflip odds of them even making

the playoffs. It's just the way it works.

Furthermore,

it shouldn't be shocking to anyone that sometimes a team's record

doesn't always represent their true collective talent. While the

Brewers currently have the record of an elite team, their underlying

component stats suggest they are closer to a true 90 win team. Hell,

the Brewer's simple pythagorean record has them on pace for 88 wins.

Considering they were projected to win around 88 wins before the season

started, is that really that surprising?

You don't know if they WILL make the playoffs? Well no kidding, no one does. They'd still be the favorites if Prince comes back. This predicting the future stuff doesn't work as you just explained in the second paragraph. They are what they are. If they win 100 games (not saying they will), they're a 100 win team.

As far as the Nationals go, you'd have to think that the Jayson Werth debacle makes this not only possible, but downright likely that they wouldn't be in the game for Fielder...which is obviously good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The thought of Prince Fielder playing 1st base at age 34 is downright frightening. Let him walk. Sign Greinke instead.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think wanting to win factors in for the guys who can have a say in the matter. Certainly the top tier free agents go to contending teams almost without fail.
Go through your list and see how often those teams signed the player without offering them the most lucrative deal. Generally speaking, the top teams are the top teams because they can AFFORD to pay a premium price for the top players. It's not like Sabathia chose the Yankee's for non-monetary reasons. Sure, all else equal, many would choose the better team but it's a minor factor at best.

"You don't know if they WILL make the playoffs? Well no kidding, no one does. They'd still be the favorites if Prince comes back. This predicting the future stuff doesn't work as you just explained in the second paragraph. "

I think you need to reread what I was responding to (overpaying for Prince to "win now"). You have to have some confidence in being able to predict future performance to justify that.

I think wanting to win factors in for the guys who can have a say in the matter. Certainly the top tier free agents go to contending teams almost without fail.
i just see it a little differently. i still don't view it as top-tier free agents "wanting to win," but merely that contending teams are typically the ones with all the money who can afford these top-tier free agents.

but how much has "wanting to win" really EVER factored into free agent decisions?

It seemingly did for LeBron James, and then everyone hated him and said he was the devil for leaving Cleveland.

What percentage of total earnings can players earn on their contract in baseball vs basketball? Also, I am not familiar with the NBA salary rules but how much did he really leave on the table by changing teams?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What percentage of total earnings can players earn on their contract in baseball vs basketball? Also, I am not familiar with the NBA salary rules but how much did he really leave on the table by changing teams?

I'm not a fan of or an expert on the NBA, but I'm pretty sure he left a big chunk of change on the table. Their league is set up so that if a player's current team offers him a "max" contract, another team cannot get near that dollar amount in free agency. It's designed so that a star player never leaves the team that they are with unless they want out really bad.
Gruber Lawffices

I'm not a fan of or an expert on the NBA, but I'm pretty sure he left a big chunk of change on the table. Their league is set up so that if a player's current team offers him a "max" contract, another team cannot get near that dollar amount in free agency. It's designed so that a star player never leaves the team that they are with unless they want out really bad.
I believe that endorsements for NBA players are much much higher than for MLB players so while I am sure he did leave a good chunk of money on the table I doubt it is like a MLB player taking less money to play somewhere else. He went to Miami so his income taxes will be smaller.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Cleveland could have offered him 1 more year guaranteed and ~$20 million for that season. I'm not even an NBA fan but I cheered for Miami throughout the playoffs simply to spite the 95% of sports fans who had turned on Lebron.

Sign for most money with loser ---> greedy loser.

Leave money on table to sign with winner ---> traitor.

Archived