Brewer Fanatic

Nationals not interested in Fielder

PrinceEatMeat

Thought this was a pretty important piece of news. http://www.cbssports.com/...d&utm_medium=twitter

Definitely changes the market for Fielder, and probably gives the Brewers a better shot to keep him at least. Really surprises me that the Nationals don't want him. Many experts thought that they would be a main player in the Fielder sweepstakes.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because they say it now doesn't really mean anything. I can't believe they would let LaRoche stand in their way but who knows. I guess it's possible that they feel they could better use that money elsewhere, the article mentions CF and probably SP. I guess that makes sense if they do have a strict payroll budget. Still not buying it though.

If this is true, I guess this really narrows the market for him as this was a spot that most people had him going. Probably increases the chances that he returns, slightly. Still have the Angels and Orioles to definitely worry about I think. And the guy discounts some teams, but I'm not 100% sure that the Cubs, Cardinals (if they lose Pujols) and maybe a few others wouldn't necessarily go after him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All this is based on one unnamed source 2 months before FA begins.

If you read the article, you'll see what even the author thinks about the rumor..

"Assuming Washington truly isn't going to go after Fielder (and I don't

buy that), it dwindles Fielder's market even lower to the point one has

to seriously consider if Fielder could head back to Milwaukee."

Right on CBSsports, this comes originally from the Nats beat reporter with mlb.com who basically says that LaRoche is fine at 1B according to the Nats. Hard to throw a guy who you are paying $8m next year under the bus right now.

EDIT:Also since Fielder is still under contract a Nats official can't say they'll be going after him since that would be tampering.

It actually makes perfect sense.

The Nationals:

1. Are locked into that ridiculous Jayson Werth contract

2. Will have to sign Ryan Zimmerman, who is their Ryan Braun, to a mega-deal after 2013.

3. Could, if you believe he is for real, have a good portion of what Prince brings to the table in Michael Morse who is in arbitration until after 2013.

I know their owner has big pockets, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for them to go after Prince given the above three items. Additionally, they will likely have to give a large pre-arbitration deal to Strasburg. It doesn't completely rule them out but if I were a Nationals fan or in the Nationals front office, I would be more apt to give a mega-deal to Jose Reyes than Prince Fielder, and deal Ian Desmond for the CF (Denard Span) they are said to be after.

This means absolutely nothing, but figured this would be as good a thread as any to share it in. I'm playing the latest version of OOTP and in the offseason between 2011 and 2012, both Fielder and Pujols went in looking for $25 Million. They each went months without getting an offer. Pujols actually caved and took a deal to stay with the Cards. Fielder went the whole offseason without getting the deal he wanted. On Opening Day, he finally lowered his demands and I got him for 5/$70M.

LaRoche is on the hook for 8 mil next year, but I thought that was the last year of his deal? So I don't think that would prevent them from getting Prince. If you wanted to pay most of his salary, you could probably move him. Not ideal, but I think it's certainly doable. I just don't believe that LaRoche would prevent a Prince signing.

Maybe they want to spend elsewhere, that would make sense...but I'm not buying hte LaRoche angle. Unless they really feel that Morse can't play the OF well, that could be an argument I guess. I still say they make a play for Prince though.

There could definitely be a budget issue at work as others have pointed out, and the back to back big draft contracts are part of that. But just as importantly what would the Nats gain by hinting this early that they are interested in Fielder? It only creates more perceived demand, and builds anticipation of it happening, which then creates disappointment if not executed. That's not a good strategy for selling tickets. Putting together a big package after some of Boras' initial noise and swooping in with the big check can, especially if you orchestrate a Zimmerman extension shortly afterwards... But practically with the tampering rules, silence is golden and that's probably all the explanation the comment needs

It makes sense that the Nationals are not in on Fielder. I believe they value Zimmerman more than a free agent like Fielder. If Zimmerman can't stay healthy at 3B they could always move him over to 1B where his defense and offense would be passable there. The Nationals are probably also looking at extending Zimmerman which is going to take a bite out of their payroll. It basically comes down to for the Nationals of extending Zimmerman or signing Prince. I'll take Zimmerman over Prince 100% of the time as Zimmerman is better defensively at a harder position to play and he can put up numbers comparable to Braun.

The Orioles are a team to watch but I still feel as though with the addition of Chris Davis I believe they are going another route instead of a free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if the Orioles went after starting pitching in the off season either through trades or free agency. The AL East is somewhat there for the taking if the Orioles can get some better starting pitching as the Yankees look very weak in the starting pitching department.

I honestly think that this is going to come down to Baltimore, California, maybe the Giants and the Brewers. The way this is shaking down couldn't be better timing for the Crew. Some of the big market teams are cash strapped (Dodgers, Mets), rebuilding & saddled with bad contracts (Cubs, White Sox), or stacked at 1B/DH (Red Sox, Yankees). I could see the Yankees getting involved in this- because that's what they do, but I think that they are going to be busy trying to keep Sabathia. I still say the odds are low Prince stays, but I think they are inching up as things play out.

I honestly think that this is going to come down to Baltimore, California, maybe the Giants and the Brewers. The way this is shaking down couldn't be better timing for the Crew. Some of the big market teams are cash strapped (Dodgers, Mets), rebuilding & saddled with bad contracts (Cubs, White Sox), or stacked at 1B/DH (Red Sox, Yankees). I could see the Yankees getting involved in this- because that's what they do, but I think that they are going to be busy trying to keep Sabathia. I still say the odds are low Prince stays, but I think they are inching up as things play out.
The Angels maybe a team that goes for Prince. I just don't see the Giants going after Prince. After 2012 the Giants will have to look at resigning Cain and don't forget about Lincecum who will be looking at getting a big deal after that year or after this year. I think the Giants are going to be busy trying to lock up both Cain and Lincecum long term than going after Prince. Also in 2012 Zito is owed $19m and in 2013 he is owed $20m the Giants don't get out of that contract until 2014 where they have a buyout at $7m. The option may vest also if Zito pitches 200 IP in 2013 or 400 IP from 2012-2013 or 600 IP from 2011-13. The 400 IP between 2012-13 could be possible last year Zito pitched 199.1 IP. The Giants also have Rowand at $12m in his final year in 2012 along with Huff who makes $10m in 2012 and a team option for $10m in 2013. The Giants are also going to have to fill the hole at SS.

I just do not see how the Giants could resign Lincecum, Cain, and possibly even Wilson and then also sign Prince Fielder to a big contract. Lincecum is going to get a Santana like deal and Cain is going to get something close to that also. I believe Lincecum will get a deal 7 years and $150m. I actually don't see how the Giants are going to be able to get Lincecum and Cain back unless one of them takes a team friendly deal.

After looking at the Giants I do not see how they could sign Fielder while not losing at least one or both of their top two pitchers. The Giants have holes in their infield and they have Belt who can play 1B and would be defensively better than Prince there. I just do not see the Giants as being someone who will be going after Prince when they need to resign their own superstars in Cain and Lincecum along with filling holes in their roster mainly at SS and the OF. Now Hart would be a good trade candidate to the Giants as his contract is small and the Giants maybe looking at adding someone like Hart to their OF. I still believe the Giants made a mistake last year in not trading for Hart even though they still won the World Series. They wouldn't have needed to trade for Beltran this year and they wouldn't have had to give up a good prospect like they did either.

I've been wondering for a while regarding Fielder if the Marlins might be interested. Aren't the Marlins moving into their new ballpark next year? Prince has his permanent home down there. I know this goes against the Marlins cheap ways but you'd think moving into a new publicly funded facility they might be interested in making a splash?

I don't follow this stuff too closely, but thought this might be something to consider.

I honestly think that this is going to come down to Baltimore, California, maybe the Giants and the Brewers.
They haven't been the California Angels since 1996. I'm surprised people still make this flub (unless you were being facetious).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'd always considered the AL East (except the Rays), the Cards, Cubs, Nationals, Mets, Rangers, Rockies, M's, Giants, Astros, and Angels to be potential suitors for Fielder. Nearly all of them would pay him more than the Brewers would.

In my opinion, Prince will only leave Milwaukee if the deal is for significantly more money like CC Sabathia in 2008.

If the Brewers offer 5 years $100MM and another team's offer is say 6 years $120MM, I don't believe Prince will leave. If the Brewers offer 5 years $100MM and another team's offer is 6 years $150MM then Prince will leave.

Warning Track Power's Handicapping of the Prince market on August 24:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

IN: Angels, Orioles

MAYBE: Mariners, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays

OUT: Athletics, Rangers, Twins, White Sox, Indians, Royals, Tigers, Rays,

ANGELS

I could see the Angels making a very hard push for Prince, however, a number of things make me doubt it. I think the Wells contract and Weaver extension will limit their finances. They will have to re-sign Santana after 2012 and Haren after 2013. Additionally, based on their past they will not make a signifcantly better offer than the Brewers (see Beltre and Crawford negotiations) which in my mind eliminates them. They also have their future at 1B on the roster already in Mark Trumbo at 1B. I don't see Prince signing anywhere to be even a part time DH.

ORIOLES

This is the most likely landing spot in my opinion. I don't buy Chris Davis or Mark Reynolds at 1B. Davis at DH, Reynolds at 3B, Prince at 1B. The Orioles went hard after Teixeira and I doubt the Orioles will stand idly by when a guy who will outproduce Teixeira and could hit .300 and possibly hit 40-50 HRs in Camden Yards for the next 5-7 years is available. They have young inexpensive pitching right now that will only get truly expensive near the end of Prince's deal. They have a solid nucleus in the lineup with JJ, Jones, Wieters, Markakis, Reynolds, Davis. This is the only team that I honestly feel will offer Prince something ridiculous like 7 years/$175MM.

MARINERS, YANKEES, RED SOX, BLUE JAYS

All of these teams don't make sense to me unless they go away from where they are currently. The Yankees have Teixeira and a plethora of candidates for DH (A-Rod, Jeter) coming. The Red Sox have Gonzalez and just gave massive deals to him and Crawford and will have Pedroia (2014), Lester (2013) and Ellsbury (2013) becoming FAs right in the middle of a Prince deal. The Blue Jays don't seem to be a place to give a mega deal, but for some reason represent a "mystery team" for Prince to me. The Mariners only because of their owners pockets and the need for power in Safeco. I doubt Prince wants to be part of a rebuilding project either and I don't see the Mariners being as close as say the Orioles.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

IN: Brewers

MAYBE: Nationals

OUT: Mets, Braves, Phillies, Marlins, Astros, Reds, Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, Padres, Dodgers, Giants, Rockies, D-Backs

BREWERS

Obvious.

NATIONALS

From my earlier post. The Nationals: 1. Are locked into that ridiculous Jayson Werth contract 2. Will have to sign Ryan Zimmerman, who is their Ryan Braun, to a mega-deal after 2013. 3. Could, if you believe he is for real, have a good portion of what Prince brings to the table in Michael Morse who is in arbitration until after 2013.

CUBS, CARDINALS

If Pujols leaves for some reason which I don't see, the Cardinals will not sign Prince especially if TLR is still there. Prince and TLR are not a match. Plus Pujols is going back there so its a non-starter. The Cubs will not sign Prince. They are too far away from competing and have too many bad deals like Soriano/Zambrano hamstringing them. If they are able to get out from under these type of contracts somehow then maybe Prince goes there, but like I said with the Mariners, the Cubs are in rebuilding mode and I seriously doubt Prince leaves a playoff contender like the Brewers to go to one of their bigger rivals that are rebuilding.

GIANTS

Have bigger fish to fry with Lincecum, Cain, Wilson extensions and Belt is at 1B for the future already. Reyes would be the more likely target if I were in the Giants FO.

I don't know guys. I really am starting to believe that after this season, the Brewers will give it one more go with Prince and up their offer to something like 7 years $140MM. If they offer that, I don't believe that the Angels, Nationals, Mariners, Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Cubs or Giants will make an offer that will be signifcantly higher than that to persuade Prince to leave. They all may make him an offer of something close to that, but I don't see anyone other than the Orioles that will step up and offer him something crazy like a 7 year $175MM deal.

What Michael Morse has done for the Nationals must be at least considered part of the equation.

Morse, the MVP of SI.com's All-Underrated Team, has become a 6'5", 230-pound predator in a baseball uniform. He leads Washington in batting average (.317, home runs (21), doubles (30), slugging percentage (.550) and OPS (.923) and has been baseball's most productive first baseman since replacing Adam LaRoche, who suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in May, in the lineup. At the game's most star-studded position, Morse leads all his counterparts -- from Miguel Cabrera, Adrian Gonzalez and Mark Teixeira in the American League to Prince Fielder, Albert Pujols and Joey Votto in the National League -- with a 1.016 OPS while playing first.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/08/24/all.underrated.team/index.html#ixzz1VzgtPUUQ

They haven't been the California Angels since 1996.

I still call them that, and I still call Tampa "The Devil Rays". When teams stay in the same city, or same stadium, I refuse to use the new team or stadium name when they change it.

I could see still calling Tampa the DRays but after 15 years, I think it's time to acknowledge at least the "Anaheim" part of the Angels. I personally don't say Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim cuz that's just stupid so I just say "Anaheim" or Angels. It will take awhile to get used to Miami Marlins though.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't know guys. I really am starting to believe that after this season, the Brewers will give it one more go with Prince and up their offer to something like 7 years $140MM.
I really don't see the Brewers (or probably any NL team) offering him that long of a deal. It's painful to think how bad Prince would be defensively at 33 and 34 years old.

I honestly think that this is going to come down to Baltimore, California, maybe the Giants and the Brewers.
They haven't been the California Angels since 1996. I'm surprised people still make this flub (unless you were being facetious).
I just stopped calling them the L.A. Angels a few years ago. They'll always be the California Angels to me. I'm too old to keep up with all the silly name changes that franchise has had.

It's painful to think how bad Prince would be defensively at 33 and 34 years old.

I agree that I don't see an NL team making an offer like that, for this reason. They debate as to whether the Brewers offering a year (or two) too many to keep him here and make 2-3 more legitimate playoff runs is obviously the big question.

Archived