Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-24 Brewers (Marcum) at Pirates (Thompson) - [Brewers lose, 2-0]

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.
You really dont think a player can choke up and ground out if they want to? Have you ever played baseball?
Have you ever played in the majors? I think fans just spend way too much time screaming at their TV, claiming that it should be easy to do whatever.
No, I havent, but Ryan Braun has. I am not saying I could do something in the majors, I am saying perennial all-star Ryan Braun could. Do you honestly think Ryan Braun could not groundout to the infield if you told him to try to do it. If you choke up and dont use your lower half at all it is pretty easy to hit a ball where you want if you have the hand/eye coordination of Ryan Braun.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, teams fail in that spot 1/3 of the time. That's perfectly fine and sounds reasonable. But I believe the Brewers fail in that spot way MORE than 1/3 of the time, hence why I asked if anyone could find the stats. If we're at league average, that's fine. But I bet we're closer to 50/50 or worse. That's why I made the statement in the first place.

And yes, I also agree that fans should expect that run to score. If the infield is back, I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect a major league player to put the ball in play and drive in the run.

You are correct that the Brewers are closer to 50/50 but you are also overestimating how well every other team actually does in the same situation.

I see the graph now, and I stand corrected. I still don't think 54% is acceptable but it appears we're better than most. Which is hard to believe. Maybe it's just that we've really struggled with it lately that is skewing my view. Either way, it's frustraing that we're losing 2-0 in a game. We had two chances to score with a man on third and 1 out and failed both times. While our opponent has had the exact same 2 chances and succeeded both times.

If we lose this game, it's disappointing to me that we went 2-2 in the series given the pitching matchups. We won the games Narveson and Estrada pitched, and are possibly going to lose the games started by Greinke and Marcum (not to mention we faced Lincoln and Thompson in those 2 losses).

brwrsfan]

OK, teams fail in that spot 1/3 of the time. That's perfectly fine and sounds reasonable. But I believe the Brewers fail in that spot way MORE than 1/3 of the time, hence why I asked if anyone could find the stats. If we're at league average, that's fine. But I bet we're closer to 50/50 or worse. That's why I made the statement in the first place.

And yes, I also agree that fans should expect that run to score. If the infield is back, I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect a major league player to put the ball in play and drive in the run.

You are correct that the Brewers are closer to 50/50 but you are also overestimating how well every other team actually does in the same situation.

I see the graph now, and I stand corrected. I still don't think 54% is acceptable but it appears we're better than most. Which is hard to believe. Maybe it's just that we've really struggled with it lately that is skewing my view. Either way, it's frustraing that we're losing 2-0 in a game. We had two chances to score with a man on third and 1 out and failed both times. While our opponent has had the exact same 2 chances and succeeded both times.

If we lose this game, it's disappointing to me that we went 2-2 in the series given the pitching matchups. We won the games Narveson and Estrada pitched, and are possibly going to lose the games started by Greinke and Marcum (not to mention we faced Lincoln and Thompson in those 2 losses).

So do we give back the games won by Estrada and Narvy against pitchers this year who should have beaten them? This stuff happens all the time, I'm just shocked that it disappoints you.

bigredrobbo]
So do we give back the games won by Estrada and Narvy against pitchers this year who should have beaten them? This stuff happens all the time, I'm just shocked that it disappoints you.

Estrada and Narvy have been pretty good ML 5th starters all year long. In this series the Brewers have faced 3 minor-leaguers and will have lost to two of them barring a 9th inning comeback. This stuff does happen all the time. But that doesn't mean it's not also a failure on the part of the Brewers.

Dodgers are pasting the Cards again. I think they hace packed it in.

Is anyone gotten to the point yet where these games have been kind of "Blahhh" in anticipation of the playoffs? I mean we have a 99% chance of making the playoffs according to accuscore and it looks like we are pretty much locked into the #2 spot (Being 6+ games ahead of the ARI right now) against ATL, and we still have next to no chance of getting the #1 seed. The playoffs should just get here already. While these games aren't completely meaningless yet they might as well be. I am just not hanging on every win and loss now like I was 3 weeks ago.

I see the score the guy from 3rd success list and see no correlation between that list and how good a team is. This team relies on big innings. If their power hitters choked up and hit grounders to short every time guys were in scoring position, the Brewers would score around 3 runs a game.

Really? Of course we don't give them back. I think i'm not the only one disappointed though. If entering the series, someone told you that we would win the games started by Estrada and Narveson, and the remaining two matchups are Greinke vs Lincoln and Marcum vs Thompson....I think most of us would feel pretty darn good about our chances to win the series, not split it.

I'm happy with a split on the road, but given the circumstances and how we played in this game, thats disappointing to me that we couldn't take the series. Am I the only one that feels this way?

while he has a very good triple a ERA with a very small sample size, he struggled in AA ball this year. Hopefully the brewers don't struggle with another pitcher making his big league debut.
Hope doesn't work much in these cases. I can't stand how these type of pitchers completely own the Brewers almost every time we face them. It is almost like if there isn't a complete scouting report on a guy Dale has no ability to develop any sort of game plan.

If you would have offered me a 5-2 road trip when we left Milwaukee I would have taken it in a hearbeat.

Sure you want to win every game but using the term "failure" in regards to this team right now seems a little over the top.

At least we have company......The Phillies are failing against the Mets today too.

This stuff happens all the time, I'm just shocked that it disappoints you.
I would bet that minor leaguers do not shut out teams all the time, it is probably pretty rare.

In fact, since 2001 there have been 384 starting pitchers who made their career debuts, and of those only 33 (8.5%) have not allowed an earned run

Archived