Brewer Fanatic

2012 Rotation?

adambr2

I think you can obviously pencil in the top 3, Greinke/Gallardo/Marcum. I think Narveson is more or less a lock too.

Wolf has certainly done nothing not to be the #4 again next year. I look at him a little differently, because if I were the Brewers, depending on what the offseason plan was, I'd consider trading him and dumping the last year of his salary. I am very wary about trusting Wolf next year to repeat this year.

If Wolf was gone, Peralta and Estrada may be candidates for the vacancy. Peralta is going to get that shot sooner or later, and Estrada has impressed this entire year as a starter. Still difficult to say if he's a legit MLB starter or if hitters just haven't figured him out yet, but he's been great filling in this year.

adambr2, I saw you started this thread and I thought you'd be suggesting we deal depth to improve our bench, just as clancy used to try to make everyone play new positions.

I wouldn't touch our rotation. we have no reason to change things. Assuming a new compensation exists after 2012, I'd let Wolf walk and put Peralta in the rotation. If Rogers or someone else emerges as an option right as Narvy is getting to arbitration, I'd also consider moving Narvy. I'd make our lineup changes from within (except perhaps SS) and I'd look to sign a solid reliever or two, and perhaps bring back Hawkins or Saito.

I'd like to see a trade of some sort too in order to give Peralta a shot (Estrada as insurance). The obvious choice is Wolf. His ERA this year may be enough to get something of value, even with his fairly hefty salary next season. Marcum is an out-of-the-box idea, but I doubt they get the two good young players you're talking about with just one year left on his deal.

I think we have to trade someone. It may be tough to swallow but unless we can extend both Marcum and ZG I think we have unload them to replenish. I really do believe that's why DM was ok with giving up a lot of our prospects, because his plan is to get some of them back by trade. I guess a lot of this depends on what happens this season and also with Prince.

I really feel Estrada has put himself in the discussion for next years rotation... He's done very well with his oppertunities this year.
If you are talking about the 2001 or 2002 Brewers rotation sure but not next years or any of the years following after that. Estrada is a 6th starter at best. I would rather give someone else the chance to be in the rotation before I even think about Estrada. Estrada is nice as an emergency starter or a long man in the bullpen but once teams face him more than once they will catch on and he will not have the same success as he is having now. He would be at a 5+ ERA easily if he were a starter for a full year close to what Suppan was.

I do see Marcum as being one of the pitchers who could be traded. The Red Sox and Yankees are the teams that jump out to me who would be interested in Marcum the Yankees especially as they have no #2 or #3 starter in their organization right now. Marcum could easily fill that void for the Yankees and the Brewers could get a very nice piece in return.

I really feel Estrada has put himself in the discussion for next years rotation... He's done very well with his oppertunities this year.
If you are talking about the 2001 or 2002 Brewers rotation sure but not next years or any of the years following after that. Estrada is a 6th starter at best. I would rather give someone else the chance to be in the rotation before I even think about Estrada. Estrada is nice as an emergency starter or a long man in the bullpen but once teams face him more than once they will catch on and he will not have the same success as he is having now. He would be at a 5+ ERA easily if he were a starter for a full year close to what Suppan was.
I'm not saying I want to give him a chance in the rotation but I'm not buying that he's a 6th at best. The guy has been pretty solid this year with a 4.14 ERA (though small sample of ~83 innings). He also put up a 3.09, 3.63, and 3.15 ERA in the minors the past 3 years. Obviously he's not a top-of-the-line starter but to say he's a 6th starter at best is selling him short IMO.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I wouldn't trade any of our starters right now, except Wolf/Narvy in the right circumstances. I like the idea of Peralta getting a year in AAA to refine things and still becoming a rotation regular at the age of 23 in 2013. Plus, now that we have some quality depth, I'd hate to lose it. Peralta's time will come

I do see Marcum as being one of the pitchers who could be traded. The

Red Sox and Yankees are the teams that jump out to me who would be

interested in Marcum the Yankees especially as they have no #2 or #3

starter in their organization right now. Marcum could easily fill that

void for the Yankees and the Brewers could get a very nice piece in

return.

I'd be ok offering Marcum to NY but I'd demand Montero and one of Betances or Banuelos in return. I think that'd be a fair deal as NY could easily afford to resign Marcum and he's an established starter who has experienced success in the A.L. East. Montero could play first in place of Fielder and Gamel to then hopefully slide to RF to replace the traded Corey Hart (traded for a pitching or SS prospect). Peralta then obviously takes over the #5 spot in the rotation and Greinke is extended.

Archived