Brewer Fanatic

A Proclamation

dlk9s

Community Moderator

You're probably right about the division, although St. Louis retains about a 1% chance.

However, that 4-game set with the Phillies in a little over two weeks is starting to loom large. While its impact on playoff seeding may be inconsequential, it will draw lots of attention and give the Brewers an opportunity to prove that they can play with the big boys--which they failed to prove back in June.

We all know what we want this year, and the road to it leads through Philadelphia.

http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/389x205/061017_dennis_green.jpg

If you wanna crown them... The Pirates are who we thought they were. Don't let the Cardinals off the hook.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

You're probably right about the division, although St. Louis retains about a 1% chance.

However, that 4-game set with the Phillies in a little over two weeks is starting to loom large. While its impact on playoff seeding may be inconsequential, it will draw lots of attention and give the Brewers an opportunity to prove that they can play with the big boys--which they failed to prove back in June.

We all know what we want this year, and the road to it leads through Philadelphia.

In all fairness, we did take 2 of 3 from Philly on the road in April and nearly swept them.

We also played NYY and BOS on the road and we clearly aren't the same team on the road as we were in June. If we had to play those teams again right now I would be pretty confident we could split.

I would not count out The Braves. I havn't paid much attention to them this season until this past series with The Cubs, but that pitching from top to bottom is insane, and unlike the Brewers or Phillies, could very well be that way for many years to come. The rotation of Hudson, Jurrjens, Hanson(when back), Beachy, and Lowe, although Minos better doesnt get the credit it deserves, but that bullpen: the Venters/Kimbrel combo is just as sick as K Rod/Axford(speaking of Axford, check out the movie Flypaper on demand, theres a guy who looks exactly like him), but the pen as a whole goes much deeper with Eric O'Flaherty and rookie Arodys Vizcaino, who looks to me like a better Aroldis Chapman. If those guys can get one more big bat at the deadline, they could give everyone a run for their money.

I would not count out The Braves. I havn't paid much attention to them this season until this past series with The Cubs, but that pitching from top to bottom is insane, and unlike the Brewers or Phillies, could very well be that way for many years to come. The rotation of Hudson, Jurrjens, Hanson(when back), Beachy, and Lowe, although Minos better doesnt get the credit it deserves, but that bullpen: the Venters/Kimbrel combo is just as sick as K Rod/Axford(speaking of Axford, check out the movie Flypaper on demand, theres a guy who looks exactly like him), but the pen as a whole goes much deeper with Eric O'Flaherty and rookie Arodys Vizcaino, who looks to me like a better Aroldis Chapman. If those guys can get one more big bat at the deadline, they could give everyone a run for their money.
I agree. Their starting pitching is very good and their bullpen is absolutely ridiculous.

Venters/Kimbrel is way better than K-Rod/Axford by the way. It's not even close.

Add in O'Flaherty and, as you said, their bullpen is pretty awesome. Vizcaino is still an unknown, but could be dominant.

Should be a great series.

Community Moderator
In all fairness, we did take 2 of 3 from Philly on the road in April and nearly swept them.

We also played NYY and BOS on the road and we clearly aren't the same team on the road as we were in June. If we had to play those teams again right now I would be pretty confident we could split.

They would certainly do better than the first time, but it was the same Brewers team that is on the field right now, plus Weeks and Gomez.

The elephant in the room here is that the Brewers hot streak has been against sub-par competition. While it is true that all wins count the same, just because this team can destroy the bottom half of the NL does not mean they are ready for October. Even the Cardinals are not exactly playing great right now.

Did it all come together in August, or did the schedule just get easier?

I think the answer is probably some of both, but we will not really know for sure until they play the top tier NL teams. Even losing 3/4 or 4/4 to the Phillies would not really matter in the standings, but it will draw lots of attention and is the best remaining gauge to judge whether the Brewers are World Series contenders or not.

It ain't over yet by any stretch. Go 0-6 against the Cardinals and they are right back in it. I've seen too many utter collapses in Brewer's history to be overconfident now.
The difference is that this Brewer team is better than any team in the division and it's not particularly close. I don't see it happening. If you've seen the Cardinals play in the last week, they know they are toast.

I almost want to get swept by the Phillies. It might make them too overconfident when we face them in the playoffs. Just like the Ruskies did against the young American squad they had just demolished back in '80.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived