Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-23 Brewers (Estrada) at Pirates (Ohlendorf) - [Brewers win, 11-4]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then McGehee and Yuni doing what they've done all season.
You're going to get on McGehee for making an out in a 7-1 game after he hit a 2-run homer in his previous AB?
He's had a bad season and deserved to lose his spot. A home run today doesn't change that.
I haven't seen the Braves pull Dan Uggla from their lineup and he's had a bad season overall. Sure he had the hit streak and has 28 bombs, but he's had a bad season. Should he lose his spot? Just checking.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I tried to aknowledge prior to my dig at McGehee and Yuni that they were playing better this month than they have for the rest of the season. That doesn't change the fact that I cringe almost every time they walk up to the plate.

7-0 Dodgers!

You're going to get on McGehee for making an out in a 7-1 game after he hit a 2-run homer in his previous AB?
He's had a bad season and deserved to lose his spot. A home run today doesn't change that.
I haven't seen the Braves pull Dan Uggla from their lineup and he's had a bad season overall. Sure he had the hit streak and has 28 bombs, but he's had a bad season. Should he lose his spot? Just checking.
Get back to me when McGehee goes on a 1.100 OPS tear over 40 games.

Did any of you on the east coast fell the earthquake today?
Yeah. I was at a stoplight in Center City, Philadelphia when the earthquake was felt. My Forester started shaking around. I thought it was the subway underneath the road. All sorts of people then started coming out of their office buildings. Just weird feeling.

Yuni and McGehee have been doing pretty average, if not, above average since the break. Yuni, on an AL team batted .259, .240, .250 in his last three seasons. Yes, he had a terrible first half of the season, but he picked it up big time since the all star break. He was bound to cool off, but I don't think you can expect him to bat over .350 the rest of the year. The Brewers aren't going to be able to afford hot shots at every position, so it's just not worth it to complain about a player that's playing above his career numbers.

McGehee is a totally different story. He's well below his numbers last year and his power numbers have been significantly down this year. Literally a third of his home runs have come in one game this year. Brewer fans should expect more from him... and I think they should expect even more than what he's been doing lately. He definitely has the potential to go on a hot streak and play like last year, but I think all of us are sick of waiting for that to happen. I think it's a bit of a stretch, however, to get on him in a 7-0 game when he hit a 2-run home run.

It's worth noting that Estrada has been much better as a starter, which seems strange. The Brewers have tried making a lot of AAA starters into relievers mid-season, with pretty poor results. Seems tough to change that mindset mid-season.

Get back to me when McGehee goes on a 1.100 OPS tear over 40 games.

Casey McGehee wasn't a prized off-season acquisition either.

With that said, I still can't stand Yuni one bit, but I am getting my confidence back in Casey. Over the past few weeks he has come through with clutch hits about as often as he has failed. Can't really complain much with how this team has been playing.

Corey has a big fear of the wall. I don't want him getting injured, especially in an 8-2 game against the Pirates, but he needs to make a decision to stop and play the ball off the wall rather than awkwardly crashing into it while the ball sails over his head.

Estrada was fortunate to get out of the 6th with no damage done. He shouldn't be allowed to pitch another inning. Hawkins-KRod-Axford = auto win. If we put more runs on the board in the finals innings we can settle for our weaker relievers.

Archived