Brewer Fanatic

Somebody claimed Wandy Rodriguez: Latest, Rockies are claiming team

MLB traderumors is suggesting it could be the Nationals, though I would wonder why the Cubs who are short on starting pitching would pass on him. Houston can work out a deal with claiming team, let him go, or pull him back.

I'd be shocked if they just let him go. His ERA the last 3 years are 3.03 in 09, 3.60 in 2010, and 3.31 this year with WHIPS under 1.3 all 3 seasons. Those are pretty solid numbers and not out of line with his contract at all. Plus he's durable. Sure he's 32, but lefties tend to be effective into their mid 30's at least. I'm certain there would be plenty of teams interested over the winter as well.

If the Nationals did, it just strengthens how good they could be in the near future.

Strausburg

Zimmermann

Wandy

Lannan

Marquis

And whoever else they bring up or have coming through the farm system, and they have a couple nice arms down there. Detwiller perhaps fulfills his potential.

And I was touching on this earlier, but their lineup could be just nasty if they were to add a guy like Prince.

Prince, Rendon, Espinoza/Desmond, Zimerman, Harper, Ramos, Werth and one of their many CF options. And then Storen and Clippard at the end of the pen.

If I was the Nats I'd jump at this chance. Wandy does strike me as a guy who'll thrive for a few more years.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well, the recent edit changes my post. Not sure that the Rox are a great fit for Wandy, but if they can get him cheap, they might as well. They could also have a great rotation in the near future.

They got two studs from the Indians who are close and Chacin are few very nice looking arms.

Rodriguez's xFIP from 2009-2011: 3.57, 3.55, 3.65

Jared Weaver's xFIP from 2009-2011: 4.40, 3.32, 3.63

Rodriquez for 2 years $24.5m is a steal assuming his option doesn't vest. Even if it does 3years/ $36m isn't a huge amount of money for a capable pitcher.

I certainly wouldn't want to be on the hook for giving a 34 year old Wandy Rodriguez $13 million. If he earns the money, odds are the option vests and you will be giving a 35 year old Wandy Rodriguez $13 million. The way they are constructed right now, what use does Houston have for him anyway? They need him as much right now as the Brewers did Danny Darwin in 1985. If I'm Houston, I tell the Rockies they can have him for some A baller (preferably one who was drafted high to save face).

I certainly wouldn't want to be on the hook for giving a 34 year old Wandy Rodriguez $13 million. If he earns the money, odds are the option vests and you will be giving a 35 year old Wandy Rodriguez $13 million. The way they are constructed right now, what use does Houston have for him anyway? They need him as much right now as the Brewers did Danny Darwin in 1985. If I'm Houston, I tell the Rockies they can have him for some A baller (preferably one who was drafted high to save face).

Why on Earth would you give him away when there are teams like the Yankees and other big market teams that are going to be more than willing to take on a contract like his in the off-season and who will almost certainly give you more than what you're describing?

He's a pretty underrated pitcher, pitching as a lefty in that ballpark with that ridiculous left field. He's a GOOD pitcher, and not the type of guy you give away.

Why on Earth would you give him away when there are teams like the Yankees and other big market teams that are going to be more than willing to take on a contract like his in the off-season and who will almost certainly give you more than what you're describing?

He's a pretty underrated pitcher, pitching as a lefty in that ballpark with that ridiculous left field. He's a GOOD pitcher, and not the type of guy you give away.

$$$$$$.

He's been pretty good, but I don't like the contract one bit. The Astros aren't going anywhere for the next few seasons. I really don't think he would bring much in a trade either. Does anyone here think that the Brewers would get a haul for Randy Wolf? Rodriguez reminds me a lot of Wolf- albeit a little younger with less injury baggage, but at the same time, he's due 8 figures for an extra year. If the Brewers were 42-88 right now, do you think this board would explode if the Brewers flipped Wolf for a marginal prospect?

$$$$$$.

He's been pretty good, but I don't like the contract one bit. The Astros aren't going anywhere for the next few seasons. I really don't think he would bring much in a trade either. Does anyone here think that the Brewers would get a haul for Randy Wolf? Rodriguez reminds me a lot of Wolf- albeit a little younger with less injury baggage, but at the same time, he's due 8 figures for an extra year. If the Brewers were 42-88 right now, do you think this board would explode if the Brewers flipped Wolf for a marginal prospect?

Except Wandy has been better than Wolf by a considerable margin and he's been consistent while playing in a huge pitchers park, he's a lefty who gets K's and he's signed to a VERY team friendly deal over the next three years.

I don't know how people can look around at some of the guys being bandied about legit starting pitcher's and suggest Wandy doesn't have value.

Put him in a more neutral field without such an insanely ridiculous Left Field, and with a better defense behind him and htere isn't much to not to love.

Finally, your comp to the Breweres is a terrible one. Wolf is our #4 with a very good 1-3, a capable #5 and a exceptional young prospect who appears to be pretty close to being ready. A little different than just flat out dumping a pitcher, a lefty at that, who;s been excellent the last three years for nothing. I see absolutely no correlation between the two cases other than they both happen to release the ball with the same hand. That's about it.

Their career stats are almost equal in ERA and WHIP (Wolf is a tad better in both). Wandy strikes out a slightly higher rate, but he walks a slightly higher rate as well. As far as park differentials and defense, Miller Park is by no means a pitcher's haven, and all I see are threads knocking the Brewers horrible defense. When you consider they have very similar stuff, I think the comparison between Wolf and Wandy is pretty valid. Neither is worth 8 figures to a hundred loss team. Wolf is quite a bit older, but I think that's neutralized by the fact that you will be on the hook for 2 or possibly 3 more years with Rodriguez.

Archived