Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-22 Brewers (Greinke) at Pirates (Lincoln) - [Game 2; Brewers lose, 9-2]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ron, I know you want to just let Frankie take the body blows here since this one is out of hand, but in the interest of ever getting out of this inning you might have to go get him.
http://shakin4bacon.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/bricktriton.jpg?w=420&h=420

It's amazing how fast that inning got away, in large part because a guy couldn't get a bunt down. Greinke does seem just awfully snakebit at times.

I may hve overstated it before, but I really do prefer Marcum and Gallardo in the 1 and 2 spots in the playoff rotation at this point. Especially against the Phillies. In a 5-game series against the Braves maybe you pitch ZG second (and 5th, if needed) in deference to his home-splits, but he just has a sort of bad juju about him at times.

Baseball is a funny game.

In a game with Narveson coming off the DL, with the lineup featuring Counsell and Kotsay, and with Morgan, Fielder and Braun going 1-15, the Brewers beat one of Pittsburgh's front-line starters.

Then, with a Cy Young award winner on the mound and their top lineup at the plate, the Brewers get beat by a spot starter.

Today was a good day.

We split a DH, gained a half-game, shaved 2 games off of our magic number and got a blowout loss out of our system. The Brewers were due for one -- it had been since the Thursday after the All-Star Game.

I have no problem with a loss, but it seems like RR mailed this one in. Greinke could/should have been pulled after the first two got on. It was pretty clear he didn't have his good stuff to begin with. So why not Hawk or even KRod in that spot? Get out of it, and it's still tied or a 3-2 game maybe. But he lets Greinke stay and get ripped, then no choice really but to put Frankie in there to mop up.

Yea, I know it was a calculated risk to keep Greinke in with a short bullpen and live to fight another day. And if this was May 22nd, I would even agree with it. But late August, plus the team on a role...you gotta get while the gettin's good.

Archived