Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-22 Brewers (Narveson) at Pirates (Karstens) - [Game 1; Brewers win, 8-1]

August 22 - 4:05 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/pirates.jpg

76-52

59-66

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/narveson-22.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/pirates/karstens-02.jpg

Chris Narveson

8-6, 4.49

Narveson will come off the DL to start the opening game of the Brewers' doubleheader. He's been sidelined since accidentally slicing his left thumb with a scissors on Aug. 12 while fixing the stitching of his glove.

Pirates vs. Narveson
Narveson Game Log

Jeff Karstens

9-6, 3.12

Karstens lasted only 5 1/3 innings, but he handled himself well against a tough St. Louis lineup in his last start. Efficiency was a rare problem for him in the game, which was his third of less than six innings since July 26.

Brewers vs. Karstens
Karstens Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. CF Nyjer Morgan
  2. 2B Jerry Hairston, Jr.
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. RF Mark Kotsay
  6. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  7. C George Kottaras
  8. 3B Craig Counsell
  9. LHP Chris Narveson

1. RF Jose Tabata
  2. 2B Josh Harrison
  3. CF Andrew McCutchen
  4. LF Ryan Ludwick
  5. 1B Steve Pearce
  6. SS Ronny Cedeno
  7. 3B Brandon Wood
  8. C Michael McKenry
  9. RHP Jeff Karstens

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Haudricourt called the lineup "unique", I was worried. Outside of Hart in the 5-hole and Kotsay on the bench, this lineup doesn't seem too bad. Ahead by 8.5 games I really don't mind giving a few regulars a game off during a doubleheader.

I have a real problem with the lineup. If you wanted to give guys off in one of the games, that's perfectly fine, but don't do THREE bench guys in the same lineup. Gave Casey off this game, then Hart and Lucroy in the next or something like that.

You can have 2 lineups mainly full of regulars with a bench guy sprinkled in, or 1 lineup with the full squad and one that looks like the JV team. Which would you choose? Not to mention, why wouldn't you put the JV squad in game 2? With Greinke on the mound and Lincoln pitching?

Apparently Hanrahan and the Pirates setup guy are both unavailable. That could be a big advantage in a double header.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Gameday : "Josh Harrison triples (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Ryan Braun."

Was it legit or Ryan fielding like Ryan?

Very deep, about a foot from the wall, but Ryan took a lousy route, seemed very shaky on it. It was catchable.

He went back on the ball and it bounced off the wall. He may have had a shot to catch it with a better jump. But then it looked like he was only jogging after the ball after it got away. The throw was kind of close so maybe if he sprinted after it, it would've been closer.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It was up against the wall in the left hand corner. He probably could have caught it, but it would have been a great play. The ball bounced of the wall, back toward the infield, allowing the triple. If Braun never would have tried it would have been a double. But he missed a homer by about two feet.

I'm not questioning Ron's lineups any more. They seem to work, and we're 24 games over .500, so he must be pretty good at this stuff.

That is how I feel. A lot of the complaints seem rather nit picky at this point.

The fact that the pitching has been unreal has nothing to do with it? And they also won on the last homestand while the offense was pretty bad. With as good as the team (especially pitching) has been playing, I don't think it really mattered who was managing.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived