Brewer Fanatic

Felipe Lopez DFA'd; Narveson activated

PrinceEatMeat
Someone commented that de la Cruz is out of options...I didn't know that but it seems plausible given that he's been around the block a time or two. If so, you'd have to assume that Dillard will be optioned ahead of him...he's already used his option for the year and has no real role on the team that I can see.

Article on the Brewers site says that Gomez hopes to be practicing with the team this week and starting a minor league rehab as early as August 28 for a few games. They could probably have him back before Sept 1, but it might make sense to bring him back on Sept 1 to get another option for the playoffs. The article says Weeks is behind him, so he'll likely be out until after Sept 1.

It would make sense to bring up Gamel/Green as a good bat off the bench/DH for the post-season. However, I've said it would make sense for Green to come up for months, so I don't expect it to happen now.

Good point on de la Cruz. I'd hate to lose him after the season he's had. In addition to adding a live arm for the rest of this season, he could be a part of the 2012 bullpen when we lose Hawkins, Saito and K-Rod.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We don't have to use the 25 man roster that we have on August 31st. Players who are on the DL at that time can be placed on the play-off roster. If someone goes on the DL after August 31st (I know that is rare) I believe that you can use anyone that was on your 40 man roster on August 31st to replace them. I think that is how K-Rod pitched in the 2002 play-offs.

I think Dillard is the first pitcher sent down, not De la Cruz. I think that the only reason that Dillard is still on the roster is that Roenicke forgot that he is still on the team.

I've mentioned this in other threads but anyone that was in the system before August 31st (and obviously still in the system during the playoffs) can be used to replace an injured player. They didn't need to be on the 40 man at any particular date but must be added to it before being called up. There also used to be a rule about the replacement player playing the exact same position as the player he is replacing (pitcher for pitcher, 2B for 2B, etc.). Then they changed it to simply pitcher for pitcher and non-pitcher for non-pitcher. Not sure if that's still the case or if they got rid of that rule completely.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I could see Counsell not being on the playoff roster. They set rosters for level of the playoffs, right? If they are lucky enough to make it to the World Series I don't see how he helps against an AL team. Especially since Hairston and Wilson will almost certainly be on the playoff rosters. For this reason I'd like to see Gamel up before Aug 31st.

Because they are both 40ish and neither has been healthy for the full season?

Risk/Reward. Let someone else pay them 5M each.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I could see Counsell not being on the playoff roster. They set rosters for level of the playoffs, right? If they are lucky enough to make it to the World Series I don't see how he helps against an AL team. Especially since Hairston and Wilson will almost certainly be on the playoff rosters. For this reason I'd like to see Gamel up before Aug 31st.

I agree but Counsell will almost assuredly be on the post season roster because he has played in two World Series and we all know how many times we will hear how important it is to have post season experience (no matter actual skill level) for the entire month of Sept. and Oct. I can already hear McCarver gushing about how Chipper Jones World Series experience of over a decade ago makes Jason Heyward and Kimbrel better.

in what world is takashi saito going to command $5M? Considering he's putting up similar numbers to last season, except in half as many games, he's 41 years old, and has never been paid more than $3M....i can't imagine the market being much higher than what we signed him for this year.

Archived