Brewer Fanatic

Hairston.......utility guy for 2012?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wasn't sure if this should be in the transcation/rumors forum, but he's currently a Brewer, so he wouldn't technically be moving.

I like what I see out of the guy so far. He's versatile defensively, and not only that, he looks semi-competent wherever he's been on the field so far. Granted, he's not hitting much for the Crew, but sample size is basically nil.

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to expect a .325/.375/.700 line out of him, seeing him get 200-250 PA's wouldn't be the end of the world in a utility/PH/PR role next year. If the price is right, yay or nay?

If he's able to play SS I'd say go for it. Counsell has to go. I just don't want to see a lot of money being spent on utility guys. Green of course is an option. Farris may be an option if he can handle SS. Wilson may still be around. No reason to spend a lot of money. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a very interesting off-season.

i'd absolutely love to see Hairston take a significant bench role with us next year. Counsel will obviously be gone and i'd be a little wary of all the bench roles being taken up by rookies. especially that Hairston can play so many positions, that's a ton of value he can bring to the team. he's been a a great stopgap, and i don't think you could ask for anything more out of a bench player.

Hairston is eventually going to retire and should be really proud of the career that he had. an excellent player.

Pretty optimistic there eh joepepsi? I really doubt Jose Reyes will be a Brewer next year.

As far as Hairston is concerned though, if he wants to come back then I would definitely take him. Not often you get a guy that can play all of the OF and pretty much all of the IF positions as well. Totally worth it for 2-3M

I really hope the Brewers sign Hairston or a similar player to a $2-$2.5 million dollar deal, maybe $4 for 2 years. He's a really nifty piece on the back end of the roster and offers great injury insurance should Weeks, Morgan, Yuni, or McGehee go down for an extended period of time. He's a kind of like a strange, mediocre 5-tool player in that he doesn't really have any skills that are significantly above average, but he hits for a decent average, has a touch of power, fields and throws competently, and runs the bases reasonably well.

Ideally: Keep Hairston, extend Fielder, and sign Reyes.

1b: Prince

2b: Weeks

ss: Reyes

3b: Green/McGehee

lf: Braun

cf: Morgan

rf: Hart

c: Lucroy

bench: Kotteras, Gamel, Hairston, Green/McGehee, Gomez

Oh, that's it? I can tell you that team could compete with the Phillies not to say this year's team cannot.

I know it's all pie-in-the-sky stuff, but man, would I be mad if the Brewers signed Reyes. Blech.

Anyway, I'd be very happy to get Hairston on a one or two year deal at $2M per. As others have said, he's capable defensively everywhere he plays and can be counted on to be an average hitter. Sounds good to me.

Archived