List of pitchers to give up a HR to Tony Gwynn, Jr.:

Zack Greinke

Bronson Arroyo

Chad Billingsley

Rodrigo Lopez

Felix Hernandez

Kevin Millwood

Interesting list.

That is really interesting. I will always remember him for being one of the most popular players among JSONLINE posters who were convinced we could trade him straight up for Peavy.

Formerly Andersoc420

Because the pitcher was wild...

1) I can buy the steal attempt. The way the pitcher was going, it looked like the catcher would have a hard time fielding and throwing. As it was, it was a ball in the dirt, but the catcher did a fantastic job digging it, getting rid of it amazingly quickly, and making a good throw.

2) Corey's swing on 3-0 deserves a face palm.

It's this kind of stupid, idiotic play that scares me down the road. Sure, the Brewers are beating the Dodgers and Pirates by a couple runs, but they're luck may run dry when a good offense gets to a starter early. That steal was one of the dumbest ideas I've seen this year. A 2-0 pitch isn't a runners count, and being 40 years old should be a red flag. I know the pitcher had been bouncing balls, but shouldn't that be incentive to wait for another wild pitch, or count on a walk from Hart.

I'm pretty annoyed that RR allowed K-Rod to hit on Friday night. It was completely unnecessary and the chances of him getting dinged were too good.

I don't know, it was kind of a fluke thing. I don't think the chances of him getting hurt were that much greater than anyone else. The chance might've been a littler higher since he never hits but it's not like he's made of glass or something.

As I watched Francisco step to the plate Friday, I imagined lots of angry typing back in this corner of the internets, but returned home to a relatively calm IGT. I know I was thinking back to that (in hindsight ill-advised) Todd Coffey at-bat against the Mets last year, and consequently less surprised when K-Rod left the game the next inning.

That said, I agree with the "fluke" assessment. The chances that he'd merely K himself were much better than the chance he'd have to run faster and harder than he has probably had to do in ages.

I agree that the "injury" is a fluke. But just like Greinke pinch-hitting on Saturday, it's not a risk that I'd take. If Zack Greinke broke a finger trying to bunt, I'd be incensed with RR.

Because the pitcher was wild...

1) I can buy the steal attempt. The way the pitcher was going, it looked like the catcher would have a hard time fielding and throwing. As it was, it was a ball in the dirt, but the catcher did a fantastic job digging it, getting rid of it amazingly quickly, and making a good throw.

2) Corey's swing on 3-0 deserves a face palm.

Because the pitcher was wild, that means if you wait two pitches, you probably get 2nd for free. Well, assuming Corey doesn't do what he did on 3-0.

Hawkins got what should have been 4-5 outs there. The umpire was squeezing him and Betancore was slow to first on that infield single. Still, he got out of it without allowing a runner to reach second. What a beast he's been this year - 19 Holds, Zero Blown.

Morgan seems to think he can get on base without walking. It's worked far longer than I thought it would, but it's been irritating me for awhile now. He has more at-bats than Gomez (263 to 209) and half as many walks as him (14 to 7), just to put it in perspective. He can't hit .320 forever.

Hawkins got what should have been 4-5 outs there. The umpire was squeezing him and Betancore was slow to first on that infield single. Still, he got out of it without allowing a runner to reach second. What a beast he's been this year - 19 Holds, Zero Blown.

I'm not one to argue called strikes, but if you're going to allow Dodgers to look at close pitches without fouling them off, then you should give Braun some of those as well.

Doug gets so much garbage for the Turnblows, Gagnes and Riskes because of the Beane mantra that you don't pay for closers. However, you need to give him credit for paying for guys like Saito, Hawk and K-Rod.
Formerly Andersoc420

Archived