Brewer Fanatic

Jim Thome

Lots of steam out of the Twin Cities that Thome is a candidate for a trade.

Saw a tweet from one of the guys at KFAN saying he thinks the team will wait until after this weekend to trade him so he has a chance to play in front of the Target Field crowd again.

What are your thoughts on this being a potential fit for the Brewers?

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

It would be nice to have someone who could play in the field more, but he's a veteran can pinch hit with serious power and way more useful than a whole bunch of guys at the end of our roster. Heaven forbid we make it to the World Series he'd be an obvious DH as well to help even that out. Since they don't seem comfortable trying to see if Green or Gamel can hit enough off the bench this is the next best option in my mind.

I would do this in a heartbeat. I would even consider bringing him back in 2012 as well as the power PH role and occasional 1B start. This is the one type of player I believe the Brewer bench is missing right now that could hurt us down the stretch, in the NLDS & NLCS and in the World Series.

As Igor said, he's an obvious DH in the World Series, but before then, he's the obvious PH when we're down a run late in the game and need one big hit. With our bench right now, we need two hits to get that one run. I say go get him.

When all hands are on deck when Rickie and GoGo come back, we would have a fairly decent bench of:

IF: Counsell

IF/OF: Hairston, Kotsay

OF: Gomez

PH/DH/1B: Thome

On SI's truth and rumors, they said leading candidates are the Phillies, Indians, and Angels. It seems like speculation because of his past with the phils and tribe and since the Angels have a need. But what could we offer versus what they got given the state of our minor leagues?

Man it would seriously bug me if the phillies get him, especially after the pence trade.

Brewers cannot let Philly get him . A postseason bench of ... Kottaras, Gomez, Thome, Kotsay, Hairtson, Lopez/Counsell looks solid. I would use September to get a good look at who would be a better fit between Lopez and Counsell. Switch hitter off the bench looks really good and Counsell has basically been ex'd out with Thome and would be buried with two lefties on the bench in front of him . First lets see if Melvin has the stone toget Thome.

If the Phillies get him it means the Brewers didn't put in a waiver claim on him. I have a hard time believing he would make it all the way to us, but if he got to Philly it means we didn't claim him. That would seriously upset me.

One - we could certainly use him, as our bench still really needs that power threat

Two - we'd be letting one of our top potential postseasons opponents (that is already better than us), get him

Speaking of Hairston. I hope the brewers consider bringing him back in a Craig Counsell type role next year.

Love having a guy with his versatility who can also hit a little bit.

He's a free agent after this year right?

Absolutely. While his bat hasn't been spectacular so far, he provides exactly what Counsell did before this season. I like Hairston a lot.

Dillard isn't going to be on the post season roster. When get's replaced just depends upon when Weeks or Gomez return.
I was only talking about the active roster, not the playoff roster. Lopez wouldn't seem to be a given at all, either, once Weeks/Gomez return. The fact that Lopez has played himself onto the bench in MIL after playing himself to the minors in TB is a sure sign that his spot is hardly secure (even though we seem to want to think he should be better than he has been -- must be that good '09 that's stuck in our collective consciousness).

Sounds like the Twins might be light on OF for next year. I don't know that he'd be available on waivers, but what if you went all out and swapped Thome and Glen Perkins for say Gindl? You'd have Perkins back for next year as well, so it's not just a sellout for this move year.

Archived