Brewer Fanatic

ticket scalpers at miller park

ilovebeer
There have been ticket scalpers around Miller Park ticket windows at all times a day and I saw they have a lot of tickets, They are trying to sell tickets to people in line, I thought they have to stand at least 500 feet away from the window, is it illegal?

I've talked to the Brewers about this. Our state legislature struck down the scalping law because it was too hard for actual fans to unload their tickets. The only rule is that they can't try to physically stop you from getting to the window and they can't sell for above face value. They make money by getting the tickets under face value. Most of them are "season ticket holders" and get the tickets cheap. But the tickets have the regular price printed on them, so they can make a profit. I needed to offload the tickets to the last Cubs day game. They offered to buy them for $10 for 2. Face value is $30 each, so they had plenty of room to still make a nice profit.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The ones that piss me off are the ones who assault you before you can even get out of your car. This is becoming much more prevelant in the Uecker and Yount lots, to the point where I had to yell at a guy to get the bleep out of the way so I could open my car door and get out of my car because he was arguing/negotiating with someone who needed tickets BEFORE THEY EVEN LEFT THEIR VEHICLE.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I love messing with these guys. When an obvious scalper is holding up a sign that says "I need tickets", I go up to him and point to another scalper who is selling tickets and say "hey man if you need tickets that guy over there is selling some". I say it real seriously like I actually think I'm giving him some good advice. The look on these guys faces when I say that is priceless. They look at me like I'm the stupidest person in the world.

The ones that really make me shake my head are the dudes with an "I need tickets" sign (often computer-printed and laminated) in one hand and a fistfull of tickets in the other. Psst, check your other hand, bro.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I love messing with these guys. When an obvious scalper is holding up a sign that says "I need tickets", I go up to him and point to another scalper who is selling tickets and say "hey man if you need tickets that guy over there is selling some". I say it real seriously like I actually think I'm giving him some good advice. The look on these guys faces when I say that is priceless. They look at me like I'm the stupidest person in the world.

Oh man, that's too good. I'll have to try that some time.

They really have been aggressive the last couple years. I admit if you say no and move on they won't bug you, but if you show ANY interest at all, they'll hound you. After talking to a guy for about 30 seconds last year, we passed and continued walking to the ticket window. This guy must've been 50, and literally jogged after us, telling us what a great deal we could get in a whiny tone. I've seen him there a few times this year too, and want to tell everyone I know to not buy from him.

Community Moderator
Perhaps the Brewers need to put up some sort of fenced queue at the ticket windows if it is becoming a problem. It obviously will not completely alleviate the problem, but then at least people could be physically separated from the scalpers.

Okay, I'm lost. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what is the point of scalpers carrying around "I need tickets" signs at MP? Are they just trying to buy low/sell high?

I've talked to the Brewers about this. Our state legislature struck down the scalping law because it was too hard for actual fans to unload their tickets. The only rule is that they can't try to physically stop you from getting to the window and they can't sell for above face value. They make money by getting the tickets under face value. Most of them are "season ticket holders" and get the tickets cheap. But the tickets have the regular price printed on them, so they can make a profit. I needed to offload the tickets to the last Cubs day game. They offered to buy them for $10 for 2. Face value is $30 each, so they had plenty of room to still make a nice profit.
Does this make Wisconsin "Open for Business???" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If you can get a face value ticket out of them in the next couple games at home, that would be a pretty decent deal. How often do they try to sell above face near the window? I'm sure it happens.

It makes total sense for a fan to need to unload a half a dozen tickets. Fifty seems a little strange, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I had never seen them around the ticket windows before tonight, either. Wonder what changed. Went to last night's game, too, and didn't have that problem.

Also, last night felt like there was no one there. There were no lines to get in, the stadium took awhile to fill in and never felt like the 37,000 they announced. Tonight, there were people everywhere, huge lines to get in and it took forever to get out of the parking lot. Wonder why a Wednesday game was so much more popular than the Tuesday game.

I had never seen them around the ticket windows before tonight, either. Wonder what changed. Went to last night's game, too, and didn't have that problem.

Also, last night felt like there was no one there. There were no lines to get in, the stadium took awhile to fill in and never felt like the 37,000 they announced. Tonight, there were people everywhere, huge lines to get in and it took forever to get out of the parking lot. Wonder why a Wednesday game was so much more popular than the Tuesday game.

Wednesday was a BP night.

I haven't had any problems this year, but we'll see today. I'm going to the game and just need one ticket. Hoping that some of the "paying it forward" from games past pays off today. Anytime I have extras, I just look for singles or father-son combos and either give them away or just let someone buy me a beer. I will not be buying from a professional.

Are they just trying to buy low/sell high?

Yeah. I've had some tickets in the past that I've tried to sell. They'll offer you like $10 for a pair of tickets whose total face value is like $42. Then if you do sell them they'll try to get $30 for them from someone else.

I'm pretty good at haggling with those guys, and have actually gotten some decent cash for some tickets I've sold in the past. You just have to remember you aren't going to get face value for them.
I generally agree but with the situation we're finding ourselves in (1st place) the ticket prices are going to start going up. If you can find face value for the Fri-Sun Philly series call yourself fortunate. Not many games left and we have alot of bandwagon jumpers, people are starting to believe.

Archived