Brewer Fanatic

Cards went "All In" at the trade deadline.

bigredrobbo

I think SL is 12-7 in non-MIL contests. They have been playing well, and added good pieces for the stretch run, though Rasmus was by far the best player in any deal.

They're problem right now is they are in the same division with a team who has gone 18-2. That's a tough road to have much success on.

Awww, I enjoyed your awful analogy.

But you know, if you go all in you'd think you'd trade your top pitching prospect for immediate help instead of sitting on him and suspending him after the deadline.

Schadenfreude

The rumors are that there was something alcohol-related that caused the suspension. Interesting, since Abner Doubleday Tony LaRussa didn't get any punishment from the team for his DUI.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Interesting, since Abner Doubleday Tony LaRussa didn't get any punishment from the team for his DUI.
When I got to "Abner", my first thought was "Little Abner" from the comic strip. But that's even more appropriate, since he got to be so big and stong by drinking the local "firewater". http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

What's the state of the Cards' farm? They have some notable FA's after this season, led by Pujols and Carpenter, and they've traded away some good prospects over the past few seasons. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them have to take a couple of steps back and re-build next year, when we still have most of our team returning.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Someone mentioned this on JSOnline....

The Cubs have won 15 of 19 and have lost 2 games in the standings.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's the state of the Cards' farm? They have some notable FA's after this season, led by Pujols and Carpenter, and they've traded away some good prospects over the past few seasons. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them have to take a couple of steps back and re-build next year, when we still have most of our team returning.

I read over on their board where they thought it might be middle of the pack. They will likely get a ton of picks after this year. I think they have something like 7 Type A or B free agents, but that is just what I read on their board. Berkman is also a free agent after this year so he will get a nice raise. Oddly enough he is only a Type B right now.

I read over on their board where they thought it might be middle of the pack. They will likely get a ton of picks after this year. I think they have something like 7 Type A or B free agents, but that is just what I read on their board. Berkman is also a free agent after this year so he will get a nice raise. Oddly enough he is only a Type B right now.

The free agent part is true, but several would accept arbitration.

I think Dotel and Jackson is pretty much it for guys that wouldn't accept it. Maybe Berkman, but apparently he likes it there a lot and he's making $8M and having a big year....he'd probably make $12M in arby.

Oh, and Pujols of course.

(edited Pujuls spelling. Show more class than the Cardinals -TC)

Their "big" acquisitions have not been that good so far.

Jackson is 2-1 with an ERA of 4.62, a WHIP of 1.7, opponents are hitting .347 against him and he has just 16 K's in 25 innings. That is inflated by the Brewers game but his last two starts he has gone just 6 innings and then 5.1 innings while giving up a fair amount of hits and walks. His ERA could be much higher

Dotel has been pretty solid but has not pitched much since the loss against us

Patterson is terrible. His OPS is .435

Marc Rzepczynski has decent numbers but Larussa would rather use Arthur Rhodes for some reason

Furcal's OBP is .278 since the trade. Not good for a guy whose job is to be on base for Pujols, Holliday and Berkman

So they went all in but no one has produced and the two relievers who have been okay are rarely being used

Overall I think the Cardinals prospect system is pretty weak. Perhaps worse than middle of the pack, like bottom third. They do have Shelby Miller who should be a top 10 prospect next year (maybe even top 5), and potentially a top of the rotation guy in a couple years to replace Carpenter when his arm falls off. 3B Zack Cox is their only other guy who showed up lower on prospect lists, and he is having a pretty mediocre season at AA, not really a player to be afraid of in the future of the NL Central. I guess that if Pujols leaves they will have a huge gap to fill via free agency more so than within their own system, other than Miller.

They have a couple top of the rotation guys in the minors; Shelby and another guy (can't rememember the name)

It will be interesting to see what their team looks like next year; Pujols, Berkman, Carpenter, Jackson etc all have the potential to leave. Wainright will be coming back from TJ. If they lose both Berkman and Pujols they are going to be awful (Unless they sign Fielder, Beltran, Reyes Etc)

Going forward, looking at the Cardinals minus their big free agents (Pujols, Furcal, Carpenter, Jackson, Berkman) vs. the Brewers minus their big free agents (Fielder, K-Rod, Saito, Hawkins), you have to like where the Brewers stand in relation to the Cards. I know absolutely nothing about the state of the Cards system, however judging both teams on their remaining pieces, I think we are substantially better than the Cards.

The Cards rotation will still sport Wainwright-Garcia, a very good 1-2, whereas the Brewers will still throw a Greinke-Gallardo-Marcum, an excellent 1-2-3. The Cards lineup looks very shallow minus Pujols and Berkman. Holliday and Freese are very good, but the lineup is filled with secondary or complementary hitters like Jay, Schumaker and Theriot. While Molina is a solid overall player who does hit in the clutch, he's not a Brian McCann or Buster Posey at the plate. The Brewers will return Braun, Rickie, Corey and an ever improving Lucroy; 2 studs and 2 plus everyday players. Gomez/Morgan in CF is the equivalent of Molina at C. Couple that with Gamel, who could match Freese's production, and McGehee who may never reach the heights of 2010 again, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. When looking at the composition of the teams minus the free agents, I have to believe the Brewers are a good 3-5 wins better than the Cards.

Having said that, I expect the Cards to bring back Pujols, Carpenter and Berkman. With Pujols re-signed, plus Holliday's deal, they might be out of the market for Carpenter and Berkman. Even if they aren't though, in the case of Carpenter and Berkman, I don't know what to expect in terms of production with both beginning 2012 north of 35. I get the feeling this is the last hurrah for both but that might be more Cards hatred than fact. I'd still like the Brewers #1-#3 SP better and I tend to believe that, while we would be down one superstar to the Cards, assuming Fielder leaves, the sum of our entire lineup 1-8 vs. the Cards lineup 1-8, even with Pujols and Berkman re-signed, may be greater than that.

In my opinion, the real long term threat are the Reds in 2012 and Reds and Pirates 2013.

Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez are the two big Cardinals prospects. Miller will be top 10 and could sneak into the top 5 overall, and Martinez should be in the top 20, and possibly the top 15. They each project as a #1 SP down the line, Martinez having perhaps the best fastball among prospects in the minors.

Two other guys in the system are Zach Cox, a 3B who is hitting rather well right now, and Tyrell Jenkings, a raw RHP with a ton of upside.

I would probably rank the Cards system a notch above the Brewers based solely on those 4, and I'd assume BA/BP/PG/KLaw/etc would agree.

Archived