Brewer Fanatic

Chance of catching Philly?

bcvilly24

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Pirates have a better chance of catching us than we do catching the Phils.

The Phillies are really really good. I know the Brewers could always beat them in a series; but it makes me a little depressed to think this is probably the best Brewers team of my lifetime and they will have to beat Lee, Halladay, and Hamels to make it to the World Series. Stupid Phillies and their giant payroll.

I think the Pirates have a better chance of catching us than we do catching the Phils.

The Phillies are really really good. I know the Brewers could always beat them in a series; but it makes me a little depressed to think this is probably the best Brewers team of my lifetime and they will have to beat Lee, Halladay, and Hamels to make it to the World Series. Stupid Phillies and their giant payroll.

Your first line if for effect right? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, I don't think the Brewers can catch the phillies. The Brewers would probably have to go about 30-10 while Philly went 22-23........possible but damn unlikely. 4 game sweep would help, but I think it's over.

Well we would have to seep them and hope they play poorly down the stretch. They are a ridiculously good team so I just dont see it happening. Halladay, Lee, Hamels and now Oswalt is back. Rollins, Utley, Howard, Victorino and Pence. Tough team to catch

I don't want to catch Philly.

Only 1 time in the past 10 years has the team with the best regular season record gone on to win the World Series. That was the Yankees in 2009. Being the team to beat in August means didly-poo except that you are probably making the tournament..that's it. If you are strictly talking about the National League "team to beat", it's even more of a case that you don't want to be the "team to beat". Only 1 time in the past ten years in the National League, has the #1 overall seed actually won the NL pennant to get to the World Series.....in fact 60% (6/10) of the time, it's been the wild card or the team with the worst record in the NL that won the pennant. So much for being the team to beat, in my honest opinion. I'll take the #2 seed without hesitation.

But why wouldn't you want homefield advantage throughout the playoffs? Just because past #1's have chocked is no reason not to want the #1 spot.

I don't think recent history means anything in this case; Philly is far and away the best team in the NL; one of the most dominant NL teams in the last decade. I don't think Philly is sweating the fact that #1 seeds haven't fared so well recently.

Given the Brewers home record; getting as many home games in the playoffs as possible is huge.

I actually prefer to go on the road in the NLCS. Throw your best pitchers (#1,#2) on the road and throw your weaker pitchers (#3,#4) at home. Then #1 gets to go on the road again. Hope you take care of business at home and let your best pitchers outdual the other team to steal one on the road.

Only 1 time in the past 10 years has the team with the best regular season record gone on to win the World Series. That was the Yankees in 2009. Being the team to beat in August means didly-poo except that you are probably making the tournament..that's it. If you are strictly talking about the National League "team to beat", it's even more of a case that you don't want to be the "team to beat". Only 1 time in the past ten years in the National League, has the #1 overall seed actually won the NL pennant to get to the World Series.....in fact 60% (6/10) of the time, it's been the wild card or the team with the worst record in the NL that won the pennant. So much for being the team to beat, in my honest opinion. I'll take the #2 seed without hesitation.

These stats have nothing to do with anything.

The Packers were the first NFC 6th seed to win the Super Bowl. Before that you could argue that no one wants to be the NFC 6th seed since they never go to the Super Bowl. The Packers obviously proved them wrong.

Pretty much none. Would have to sweep them in August and then make up 3.5 somewhere else.

Possible, but very doubtful.

I'd be more than content with hanging onto the division and taking the #2 seed over Arizona/San Francisco for homefield advantage in the first round.

• 2 weeks later...
We're now 5 back of the Phillies, though 8 back in the loss column. Due to the all of the rainouts the Phillies don't have another off day the entire season and also have to play two doubleheaders within six days of each other. We'd have to take at least 3 of 4 from them, but it's still possible.

The Brewers have essentially won 2 of 3 over the past 101 games (67-34). If they do that over the remaining 27, they'll end up 99-63. Assuming that includes 3 of 4 from the Phillies, the Phillies would have to go 15-14 in their other 29 games to reach 99 wins.

Possible? Certainly. Certainly not likely, but possible.

Archived