Brewer Fanatic

Wolf/Kottaras

UeckerAddict
Probably only need Wolf for 2 starts in the playoffs.

1st round vs. Braves

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

(sweep)

Round 2 vs. Phillies

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf (sweep)

WS

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf

(Sweep)

There you have it, only 2 Wolf starts in the playoffs.

math checks out for me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regarding the playoffs and Randy Wolf...as much as he has deserved to be included in a 4 man rotation, I absolutely, 100% positively do NOT want Kottaras in any starting line-up for the Brewers in the playoff games.

Sorry Wolf, but your own selfishness will cause you to miss out on starting a game in the playoffs...that of course, if I were the manager.

Completey forgot about the finger injury.

I think in the playoffs you send the top 3 out on normal rest and fill in with Wolf. I don't think going on short rest is a good idea. While MLB says no more 3 days between games, there still could be 2 at times or if the Brewers would win any series early. Given enough time at the end of the season and presuming home field advantage, I'd try to set up Zack and Yo to start out pitching at home and Shaun and Randy, if necessary, on the road.

Completey forgot about the finger injury.

I think in the playoffs you send the top 3 out on normal rest and fill in with Wolf.

Exactly. I see no need to start Wolf unless necessary, and it probably won't be. However, with the Brewer's luck, I'd be shocked if one of the Big 3 isn't injured by then. Trying the reverse jinx here.

Since it is only one pitcher that requests George I'm completely cool with it. Wolf has pitched great with him behind the dish so let's leave it be. Speaking from experience, when you pitch and you have a catcher that doesn't get you, it can quickly frustrate you and get you off your rythm. When you have a guy that calls your game and that you can trust, you don't even have to think out there. It's not just pitch calling, there are tons of other little things that make a pitcher have more confidence in a catcher.

You would think as professionals they could figure it out, but hey, don't fix it if it aint broke.

In any case, Lucroy coming up mid-season last year wasn't optimal and

they apparently weren't able to get in sync during spring training.

I

think it would have helped considerably had Lucroy been able to catch

in spring training games. I hope that Randy and Jonathan give it another try next

spring.

I think in the playoffs you send the top 3 out on normal rest and fill in with Wolf.

That's how I'd envision it. As a heads up, we have the postseason roster topic going; that may be a good place to discuss the nitty gritty of the rotation.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've been saying it ever since he arrived and we saw it first hand last night. Randy Wolf is the exact same guy as Ted Lilly only a year and a half younger. Very similar stuff. Very similar record of success. Both are guys that round out a rotation quite well. Lilly's numbers are a little off this year, but not by much.

i would like to ask another question - namely, should Wolf start a game in the playoffs, or like many teams, should we go to a 3 man rotation if we get in to the playoffs. Wolf's stuff in the playoffs may not play as well, and he has gotten spanked by the dbacks this year.....his 7/4 walk/k ratio in the playoffs in the past concerns me. Wolf has been amazing this year but I like our other three in a playoff situation better.
Per David Schoenfeld's chat today, he said that the Braves don't hit left handed pitching very well.

Mike (San Diego)

Which potential first round series looks more interesting to you - TEX vs. NY/BOS or MIL vs. ATL?

David Schoenfeld

Assuming the Brewers make it, I'll be interested to see how Greinke performs under the big spotlight. It would also be interesting to see if Milwaukee would start Randy Wolf in Game 1, making him ready for Game 5. The Braves don't hit left-handed pitching, so you make the argument that Wolf should be slotted for two starts. But I love the idea of C.J. Wilson and that underrated staff (Texas has the lowest road ERA in the AL) facing the Yanks or Red Sox.

I'm not sure what the Braves splits are vs. lefties and righties, but if we're playing them and they're significant enough (which I'm guessing they are), I would probably give Wolf a start.

Two things bother me (and will continue to regarding this situation):

1) It is a #4 pitcher demanding a personal catcher. I could understand a #1 being a prima donna but beyond a knuckleballer like Wakefield, no back of the rotation starter should have this

2) Roenicke said in Spring training that he would not employ a personal catcher system and all pitchers should be able to pitch to every catcher on the roster. Well, he quickly cowered and backtracked on his promise. It gives too much power to his players and did not show good leadership as a new manager

I don't know starting Randy Wolf in Game #1 against ATL to make sure he gets 2 starts seems pretty ridiculous to me. Not Jeff Suppan Game #4 starter stupid; but still pretty stupid. I don't care what the splits look like; in a 5 game series you absolutely throw your Top #3 starters first; you just don't play starter pitcher matchups.

I'm not advocating throwing Wolf in two games vs. the Braves if that's who we end up playing. But I would probably give Wolf a start in game 4 if it gets there and Marcum or Gallardo did any worse than a quality start.

Who says Wolf is the #4 starter? Just because it looks that way on paper before the season, Wolf has out-performed Yo. Yo has abetter K/9 but that's about it. Wolf has the best ERA among starters, and we're deep enough into the season where that's not a small sample anymore. Even Wolf's WHIP is almost identical to Yo. Greinke has been great other than 2 horrific back-to-back starts months ago. Marcum almsot always gives you a good outing.

So it comes down to this. Does Wolf replace Yo in the playoff rotation, or do they use a 4 man rotation? The jury is still out in my opinion. It would be nice to throw a lefty in the mix. Yo doesn't seem to be able to battle through when he doesn't have his stuff, and that really bothers me. A team like Philly can put up a 5 spot right off the bat, and with their rotation that will be difficult to make up. Let's see what happens over the last 40 games, often times these things take care of themselves.

Wolf has the best ERA among starters, and we're deep enough into the season where that's not a small sample anymore.

ERA will always have sample problems no matter how far you are into the season.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Two things bother me (and will continue to regarding this situation):

1) It is a #4 pitcher demanding a personal catcher. I could understand a #1 being a prima donna but beyond a knuckleballer like Wakefield, no back of the rotation starter should have this

2) Roenicke said in Spring training that he would not employ a personal catcher system and all pitchers should be able to pitch to every catcher on the roster. Well, he quickly cowered and backtracked on his promise. It gives too much power to his players and did not show good leadership as a new manager

I actually think it makes more sense that a number 4 starter (if that is what he is) needs a personal catcher. Number 1 starters should be able to win no matter who is catching. A finesse number 4 starter needs to be on the same page as the catcher to effectively execute some smoke and mirrors (at least the theory of it all makes sense to me).

Who says Wolf is the #4 starter? Just because it looks that way on paper before the season, Wolf has out-performed Yo. Yo has abetter K/9 but that's about it. Wolf has the best ERA among starters, and we're deep enough into the season where that's not a small sample anymore. Even Wolf's WHIP is almost identical to Yo. Greinke has been great other than 2 horrific back-to-back starts months ago. Marcum almsot always gives you a good outing.

So it comes down to this. Does Wolf replace Yo in the playoff rotation, or do they use a 4 man rotation? The jury is still out in my opinion. It would be nice to throw a lefty in the mix. Yo doesn't seem to be able to battle through when he doesn't have his stuff, and that really bothers me. A team like Philly can put up a 5 spot right off the bat, and with their rotation that will be difficult to make up. Let's see what happens over the last 40 games, often times these things take care of themselves.

Yes, but do you want Kottaras in the starting line-up for a playoff series? That is what it boils down to. Yes, he deserves to pitch, but Kottaras does not deserve to start. Sorry Wolf!

Archived