Brewer Fanatic

Wolf/Kottaras

UeckerAddict

I noticed that many people in the IGT are upset about this constant pairing. I am curious why.

People are upset that Kottaras is hitting with a lefty starting on the other side. My opinion is that if Wolf likes him, that makes a much bigger difference than a couple ABs by Lucroy or Georgie. It would be different in Wolf had a bad ERA, but he is at 3.30(!)

I know the perception is that Wolf is a prima donna, but that is a virtue. Suppan didn't have stuff much worse than Wolf, but he wasn't as picky as Wolf is. Wolf needs a strategic game to win, and he is very particular. You can hate him for it, but the results are speaking for themselves. If he feels he needs George behind for him to perform well (even if it's the placebo effect), I'm all for it. But people seem to be disgusted at Roenicke for putting him in the line-up.

I just am having a tough time swallowing the argument against it. Everything is clicking on all cylinders, but everyone seems to argue that things would be going better without Wolf's personal catcher thing. I don't see how that would be so.

Though I find him pretty underwhelming, Wolf has a lot better stuff than Suppan. At least his pitches have some movement. He's getting the job done like the crafty lefty he is. I will admit that I didn't like the signing one bit, but for the past 13 months or so, he's been earning his money.

On that note, I was doing some checking on the whereabouts of Billy Hall the other day (he's in AAA Fresno). I saw that he got some AB's against Soup, and I found this little blurb. If the Crew needs a proven winner to get them over the top, maybe they should pick up the phone....

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/2111/player?r=1

I got over the whole Wolf/Kottaras thing a long time ago. Wolf is pitching well, Kottaras needs to play/Lucroy needs to rest every so often, and Kottaras can hit a bit. Whatever. Fine with me.

I just wish Kottaras would grow his beard back. The smooth look is freaking me out.

Wolf has been really good this year, but his ERA is lower than it should be, as you saw watching today's game. However, he's a great #4.

I'm with you UeckerAddict. I've never understood the backlash over Wolf not wanting to pitch to Lucroy. Lucroy probably needs a rest every 5 games anyway and the statistics (which I'm too lazy to look up again) prove that Wolf pitches better to Nieves/Kottaras then he does to Lucroy. It actually kind of bothers me that this "personal catcher" situation bothers people so much.

People are upset that Kottaras is hitting with a lefty starting on the other side. My opinion is that if Wolf likes him, that makes a much bigger difference than a couple ABs by Lucroy or Georgie.
It's annoying because if Wolf could just learn to work with Lucroy, they wouldn't have to start Kottaras against lefties/give Lucroy days off against them. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with liking Kottaras specifically. He used Nieves when he was up. It's just not liking Lucroy for some stupid reason.

People are upset that Kottaras is hitting with a lefty starting on the other side. My opinion is that if Wolf likes him, that makes a much bigger difference than a couple ABs by Lucroy or Georgie.
It's annoying because if Wolf could just learn to work with Lucroy, they wouldn't have to start Kottaras against lefties/give Lucroy days off against them. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with liking Kottaras specifically. He used Nieves when he was up. It's just not liking Lucroy for some stupid reason.

Obviously it's just some issue that Wolf has throwing to Lucroy and it may seem stupid to us, but if it really does negatively effect Wolf mentally when Lucroy is catching him, so be it. Wolf's ERA is probably misleading to a degree, but the bottom line his that him being so productive overall this year has been huge in the success of the team, so i'm not going to sweat Kottaras having to take some at bats here and there vs a lefthander.

Plus, Roenicke has ended up being able to effectively use Lucroy late in a few games as a pinch hitter once Wolf exited, like tonight for example. Hopefully next year though Wolf and Lucroy can work through whatever seems to bother Wolf so much.

As long as Wolf keeps pitching well and we keep winning, I don't have any problem with it. Kottaras isn't that bad and Lucroy can use the rest. It's a good point, by the way, that Roenicke isn't afraid to pinch hit Lucroy unlike certain other managers that would never PH the back up catcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I had a big problem with it when it was Nieves, not so much now that it's Kottaras, who is at least semi-competent with a bat in his hands.

It's all fine and well, since we're winning. There's just something about needing to coddle/cater to a #4 starter that kinda bugs me. You'd think a guy making Wolf's money, hell, any professional, could put aside his personal bias and just do his job regardless of who's behind the plate. It's not like there's a language barrier or anything between Wolf and Lucroy.

Ah well, it is what it is. Like I said, we're winning, so it doesn't matter. If the Crew were languishing 5-6 games out instead of the other way 'round, I wonder if this wouldn't be more of an issue.

Of course Lucroy needs his rest, but there is nothing in the rule book that says he couldn't get some rest vs a righty or sit another day

If Wolf pitches in the playoffs, I can see Lucroy having to sit because they never got it figured out during the season.

This topic used to upset me early in the season, but nothing is going to change so whatever. Wolf and the Brewers are winnings games and that's the only thing that matters.

I don't really have a problem with it, although it bugged me at first. It almost seemed like Wolf was trying to "bully" Lucroy.

This might also be good for Lucroy, in that he doesn't have to put up with Wolf's histrionics, and that his days off are regular and scheduled.

The first personal catcher situation I was ever aware of was Del Rice always catching Bob Buhl in the mid/late '50s, never Crandall. Even in the world series. There have been other cases since then. BTW, what are the odds of a catching duo with both guys named Del.

Veteran pitchers know what they want to throw and where they want to throw it in given situations. Some are more flexible than others but you do see all vet pitchers shaking off on occasion. Seems like Randy is less flexible and maybe the reason is he has less margin for error than Zack, Shaun or Yo. Yo's younger too. In any case, Lucroy coming up mid-season last year wasn't optimal and they apparently weren't able to get in sync during spring training. Apparently there is something with Randy's more complicated signs too. I wish they could work it out, but it doesn't make me angry.

So, just so everyone is clear about things and on the same page: 4th game of a Playoff series with Randy Wolf on the mound and the other team starts a LHP and nobody is going to complain about Kottaras starting? I sure will...

I don't think anyone has a problem with Kottaras as Wolf's personal catcher (Lucroy needs a day off, etc). I think people have a problem when it's a lefty on the mound and we put Kottaras out there. That makes it harder for us to win, at least from an offensive standpoint.

Having the option to start Lucroy last night and then Kottaras against a RHP later in the series would have been ideal.

I got over the whole Wolf/Kottaras thing a long time ago. Wolf is pitching well, Kottaras needs to play/Lucroy needs to rest every so often, and Kottaras can hit a bit. Whatever. Fine with me.

I just wish Kottaras would grow his beard back. The smooth look is freaking me out.

The Wolf/Kottaras thing is working - so I'm disinclined to change it.

Agree Wolf/Kottaras is working. If that's what makes Wolf comfortable, it's worth doing. Odd that he can't get on the same page with Lucroy, but whatever. A side bonus is you can use Lucroy to PH, and that worke out pretty well last night.

Yeah, but you can use Lucroy to PH in any game that Kottaras starts, not just when he's out there for Wolf. I think think the only reason he got PH for was because another lefty came in from the pen. And it made perfect sense then. Who knows though, he may have pulled Kottaras regardless.

It would be nice to not always use Lucroy as a PH though, be nice to give him a a full day off from time to time.

i would like to ask another question - namely, should Wolf start a game in the playoffs, or like many teams, should we go to a 3 man rotation if we get in to the playoffs. Wolf's stuff in the playoffs may not play as well, and he has gotten spanked by the dbacks this year.....his 7/4 walk/k ratio in the playoffs in the past concerns me. Wolf has been amazing this year but I like our other three in a playoff situation better.

If the games were played on paper and strictly looking at matchups and stats, then yes...it would bother me that Kottaras starts against lefties with Wolf pitching as that would statistically give us a worse offensive lineup. Since the games are not played on paper and the human element is involved, nobody can say playing Lucroy instead of Kottaras would give us a better chance to win. If Wolf had an ERA closer to 4.50, then I would be bothered by it. Considering he is pitching as well as he has been, i have no idea why it would bother people.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Probably only need Wolf for 2 starts in the playoffs.

1st round vs. Braves

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

(sweep)

Round 2 vs. Phillies

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf (sweep)

WS

Greinke

Gallardo

Marcum

Wolf

(Sweep)

There you have it, only 2 Wolf starts in the playoffs.

In any case, Lucroy coming up mid-season last year wasn't optimal and they apparently weren't able to get in sync during spring training. Apparently there is something with Randy's more complicated signs too. I wish they could work it out, but it doesn't make me angry.

Lucroy also broke his finger in ST and wasn't really catching anyone until just before opening day.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived