Brewer Fanatic

20-5 in last 25 games

craigharmann

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this is the best stretch of baseball since I became a fan (2001 Season). Yeah don't ask me why I decided to become a fan that season.

I keep waiting for this team to slow down with a series of gut wrenching losses and it just hasn't happened. At least now since we are up 6 games; I don't need to hang on every win or loss.

They haven't been scoring a lot of runs lately; this streak has all to do with the pitching. Just amazing to compare this year's staff to last.

I don't think they've had a 25 game stretch like this since either the first part of '87 or the end of '91. Maybe not even then. I'll have to check.
If I'm remembering right in '87, they won the first 12, then lost a bunch in a row. '91, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Going back 25 games actually makes the stretch look a little worse. Over their last 19 games they are 17-2. Swept the Astros twice, Cubs, and Pirates, took 4 of 6 from the Cards, and now another win. They were 5-6 on that long road trip right after the break and since then they have been lights out.

I don't think they've had a 25 game stretch like this since either the first part of '87 or the end of '91. Maybe not even then. I'll have to check.
If I'm remembering right in '87, they won the first 12, then lost a bunch in a row. '91, I don't remember off the top of my head.
I'm pretty sure they started 13-0 and eventually 18-3 and then lost 12 straight. I'm going by memory, so I could be wrong.

OK, I just wasted some time piddling around baseball reference. In '87 they actually started 20-3, and then lost the 12 in a row. The 20-5 stretch is the best that I could find. I found some 17/18 and 5 stretches in 'good' seasons like '78, '82, '92 and '08. I checked a couple of years that I knew that they had long winning streaks like '73, '91, and '04, but again couldn't find anything better than 17 or 18 and 5. In '91 they got really hot for a spell in August, and weren't as good in Sept. As far as I can see, this is the best one season 25 game stretch in Brewer's history. That said, it's not the best in team history. They won the last 3 games in '86 and were 19-3 the first 22 games in '87 for 22-3. That's amazing and I'm assuming the 16 game win streak is the longest in team history.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm pretty sure they started 13-0 and eventually 18-3 and then lost 12 straight. I'm going by memory, so I could be wrong.
Without looking it up, they won 13 in a row, then went 7 - 3, then lost 12 in a row. I vividly remember the Dale Hofmann article that mentioned the two streaks and the record in between. Weird what junk gets lodged up in the old noggin'.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Going back 25 games actually makes the stretch look a little worse. Over their last 19 games they are 17-2. Swept the Astros twice, Cubs, and Pirates, took 4 of 6 from the Cards, and now another win. They were 5-6 on that long road trip right after the break and since then they have been lights out.
Without looking, I have to believe that this streak is a result of insane starting pitching more than anything else.

Its one thing to play good ball against mostly bad teams but the Crew is winning every game.

Obviously would be more impressive to do it against better teams but they all count the same.

Brewers on a historic pace at home right now.

Its one thing to play good ball against mostly bad teams but the Crew is winning every game.

Obviously would be more impressive to do it against better teams but they all count the same.

Brewers on a historic pace at home right now.

Brewers are are a ridiculous 45-15 and home. I have imagine they have a great chance of beating the Brewer's record (53-28 in 1992 the franchise record?) but overall:

"1932 New York Yankees were 62-15 (.805) at home.

That's the best since 1900 according to Elias.

During the modern era of 162 games it's the

1961 New York Yankees at 65-16 (.802)"

The rotation has been awesome. Wolf has been on an amazing stretch. Who would have guessed that Randy Wolf would have the best ERA among our starters at this time in the season.

Not just the rotation, the bullpen has also been fabulous. Ever since Melvin got K-Rod and Saito being healthy has also been key, the bullpen has been lights out for the most part. The rotation almost every night is going at least six innings and if a starter leaves the game with a lead or the score tied, our bullpen puts up mostly zeros and the end result is a win. Plus, because the rotation has been so effective and almost never melts down early in games, it's allowed the key bullpen arms to avoid being used in garbage situations simply to finish nine innings.

Look how often last year starters either had to be yanked before the 5th inning and/or had to be pulled before finishing at least six innings, forcing the bullpen to regularly cover close to four innings or more. This year, we've had guys in the pen like Dillard currently who rarely even get into games and older veterans like Saito and Hawkins can be rested unless for when needed in close game situations. The team doesn't ever have to carry 13 pitchers and continually call arms up from the minors because the pen is gassed.

When you think about the overall state of the pitching staff last season and where it is right now, it's been a pretty incredible reversal in just one season. Kudos to Doug for that.

Community Moderator

I think 10-15 years from now, I will look back at this streak and remember that it happened right after Rickie Weeks got injured. At the time of the injury, most of us were just hoping that the Brewers could keep pace with the Cardinals and be within striking distance when he came back in September.

Instead, the pitching has been completely dominant. In the last 28 days, we are 19-5 with an amazingly low 2.45 team ERA, over a 3:1 K/BB ratio, and a WHIP barely over one. The offense has struggled a bit, but the pitching has more than made up for it. Run differential is +51 in that span.

Community Moderator
When was the last time we were 20 over?

September 10, 2008.

They were a maximum of 24 games over .500 in 2008, 80-56 on August 30.

Looking back farther, the 1992 team peaked at 24 games over .500, 92-68.

To get any better than that, you have to go back to 1982, 31 games over .500 at 94-63.

Archived