Brewer Fanatic

Tigers Trade for Delmon Young

Eck17
The Twins announced today that they've traded left fielder Delmon Young for minor leaguer LHP Cole Nelson and a PTBNL. Talk about a fall from grace. Still can't believe he was the #1 overall pick in 2003.

read somewhere that Young got very fat during his rehab & the Twins were very pissed at his lack of commitment......

If he responds to a change of scenery & finds some discipline & commitment the Tigers will have a "steal" ...the only issue is the Tigers are compiling a lengthly list of players who can rake but can't field a lick

Maybe this is too big a generalization, but with the Meltdown Bradley and Carlos Zambrano circus acts, I'm certainly glad that Melvin seems to steer clear of guys with anger problems, even if they can hit. It doesn't really seem like guys who have "anger issues" early in their career ever seem to get them completely in check.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Twins got absolutely nothing for Young, but I guess his defense is really bad and like someone said he came in really out of shape.

I am unsure of what the Twins are doing in the OF going forward. They have a strange infatuation with Ben Revere and his .590 OPS up there. Revere has one of the worst arms in MLB and he can hit much at all and they are playing him in LF. They are going to have guys who cover a lot of ground in Revere and Span but not much pop out of the OF. Cuddyer is a FA as well and reportedly felt low-balled by their extension offer of 2 years 16 million. Kubel is also a FA and is a really poor OF. They also were reportedly shopping Span at the deadline.

It doesn't really seem like guys who have "anger issues" early in their career ever seem to get them completely in check.
Does Prince Fielder count?

I don't think so. Prince's early incidents all occurred where he was sure he wouldn't actually get into a fight. He's never even charged a mound, and has always been "held back," even when the person "holding him back" couldn't hold him back if Prince was really upset and wanted to get into a fight. The LA / Mota incident was odd, but if he wanted a fight he would've charged the mound, not bounced around outside the locker room for the cameras. The Parra incident seemed to be him asserting leadership by telling a seemingly mentally-weak teammate that he needed to watch the game and not hit the showers. He pushed him when Parra didn't listen to try to get Parra to sit down.

I wouldn't recommend anyone attend Prince's leadership school, but to me these events didn't look like Prince was flying off into a rage. They were more calculated events that could look like he was ready to fight for his team, when a fight wasn't going to happen. I've unfortunately been around too much of this in my life. If I were on another team, I'd fear Rickie much more than Prince. In my opinion, Prince would yell at you, while Rickie would just smack you. Not that Rickie's close to being a hothead... I just wouldn't upset him.

That said, no one on our team is going around throwing bats at umpires, spitting on umpires, throwing bags of bats & balls all over the field, throwing at batters and then saying he quits, or any other goofy thing going on with the people who seem to need anger management. There's a big difference between a calculated outburst and losing your head.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

K-Rod, Morgan, and Fielder could all be considered guys with anger issues.

Yeah, I forgot about K-Rod, he would certainly fit.

Morgan was a hockey player, and they're just a different breed, fighting's in their veins, it's not an anger thing :-)

~Bill Walsh

Archived