Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-14 Pirates (Morton) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers win, 2-1, ten innings]

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree that the Sunday lineups are odd, history shows that the Brewers have won almost every game this year with the Sunday lineup. They have been remarkably efficient at finishing off sweeps at home. I doubt there is any impact on the clubhouse, perhaps it is beneficial since everyone gets a chance to contribute.
They are 12-9 on the year on Sunday, IIRC. I don't know the opponents nor the exact distribution of the lineup. All I know is today, when the lineup came out and I seen the bodies that were absent and replaced by the bodies listed, I had that feeling that we'd be shut out today. With the talent on this team, the bodies available at AAA, I don't think a fan should ever have that feeling that the best possible talent isn't being trotted out to play. It's not like they've played 18 in a row or anything or that the matchups suit the situation. It's bench play Sunday, and I hate it.

It is tiring and funny that certain fans will defend their own front offices as the authority because they are paid for their services when other front offices who are also paid would do things differently.

It is tiring and funny that certain fans will complain about almost anything even when the team is in first place and 18 games over .500.

Obviously I'm not going to complain in this instance, but does anyone else think the dropped 3rd strike rule is the dumbest rule in baseball? You're rewarding a hitter for swinging at a pitch in the dirt.
No doubt. Me and my dad say that all the time. Horrible rule.
I've always wanted to see an 0-2 wild pitch where a batter decides that instead of just taking the pitch, he flails in the general direction of the plate and starts running to first...interesting to see how the umps would handle that.

All I know is today, when the lineup came out and I seen the bodies that were absent and replaced by the bodies listed, I had that feeling that we'd be shut out today. With the talent on this team, the bodies available at AAA, I don't think a fan should ever have that feeling that the best possible talent isn't being trotted out to play. It's not like they've played 18 in a row or anything or that the matchups suit the situation. It's bench play Sunday, and I hate it.

Well, they had a normal lineup yesterday and it produced as many runs as this lineup as today.

And you could argue that the matchup did suit the situation. You could argue whether that's a good idea or not, but looking at Morton's career splits you could see how a manager would go with a lefty heavy lineup, especially if he wanted to get some other guys some time. We are 6 games into a 17 game stretch, we have the series locked, we're at home, we're playing the Pirates. If you wanted a chance to sit some guys on this stretch, I don't see why you wouldn't want to do that today then.

It is tiring and funny that certain fans will defend their own front offices as the authority because they are paid for their services when other front offices who are also paid would do things differently.

It is tiring and funny that certain fans will complain about almost anything even when the team is in first place and 18 games over .500.

This. I have almost left this board a couple times recently because of the incessant complaining by some.

My previous comment about Prince is only added to by his error but unlike his lack of hitting his poor defense is Prince-like

Yes. And Water is Wet. (No offense intended, just want to point out how frustrating it is when fans like us can see the obvious but somehow Roenicke & Melvin can't!)
Only obvious to those who believe they know what is going on. He has our normal lineup except for Hart and Casey, who brewerfan has killed for the entire year. So with Weeks out, this is the lineup we are going to have with Hart getting a day. Problem is nobody is getting hits and some just feel the need to complain about something. Morton has been good. Whenever the Brewers get shutout the complaining starts. Even if we have all starters in there, somebody will come up with some stats to say someone else should be in there. It is tiring and funny how some believe they know how to manage better than RR or any other manager.

It is tiring and funny that certain fans will defend their own front offices as the authority because they are paid for their services when other front offices who are also paid would do things different.

Seeing RR does all these things that BF looks at as the wrong move, I will stick with doing the opposite of the "ideas" here and RR will be correct 95% of the time. There are so many things that are said here that are just completely wrong and if you keep at it long enough something may go your way. Problem is you don't have to answer to your wrongs and can enjoy your glory when you are correct. It's a little different when you live in the real world and not just typing in a blog.

Community Moderator
They are 12-9 on the year on Sunday, IIRC. I don't know the opponents nor the exact distribution of the lineup. All I know is today, when the lineup came out and I seen the bodies that were absent and replaced by the bodies listed, I had that feeling that we'd be shut out today. With the talent on this team, the bodies available at AAA, I don't think a fan should ever have that feeling that the best possible talent isn't being trotted out to play. It's not like they've played 18 in a row or anything or that the matchups suit the situation. It's bench play Sunday, and I hate it.

So if 12-9 is correct, that is a .571 winning percentage, with .575 for the year as a whole. Small sample, but no evidence that it makes a difference.

Now, would it be nicer to give the guys a day off one at a time? Probably. But they still need the day off eventually. So you either reduce your chance of winning for 3-4 straight games or you reduce it all at once and hope that you find a way to win the game anyway. Maybe you bench them on the road since the paying fans deserve to see the best players?

But I have no idea what the players are capable of, so I really do not feel like I am in the position to argue when to bench them. I do know that RR's philosophy is that everyone on his bench is going to get starts. So the reserves are going to make their way into the lineup eventually, whether we like it or not.

Archived