Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-14 Pirates (Morton) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers win, 2-1, ten innings]

Just imagine how good this team could be if Doug Melvin & Ron Roenicke did a better job with personnel and starting lineups? Using Hairston more and having Gamel & Green up and starting would mean that McGehee could be a bench hitter and Corey Hart could be a bench hitter vs RHP with Gamel in RF.

I prefer they (Hart/McGehee) just start instead of pussyfooting around needing to the exhaust the bench in extras.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just imagine how good this team could be if Doug Melvin & Ron Roenicke did a better job with personnel and starting lineups? Using Hairston more and having Gamel & Green up and starting would mean that McGehee could be a bench hitter and Corey Hart could be a bench hitter vs RHP with Gamel in RF.

Is this serious? Now we are benching Hart and McGehee? This has to be the best post ever. Do people really think they are just going to bring someone up and replace Hart's 800+ ops that easily? This cannot be a serious statement.

Hart has been more than just fine, he's been a stud. He has come a long way from being a non-tender candidate (at least around these parts).

I enjoy watching this team play baseball. They are very good at playing baseball.

Hart has a .789 OPS vs RHP and a .975 OPS vs LHP this season, and in his career the differences are .788 vs .882 ... even if not a straight platoon I'd see nothing wrong with sitting him vs the tougher RHP in favor of Gamel (or Morgan when Gomez is healthy and having better defense with Gomez in CF and Morgan in RF)

at any rate, McGehee coming off the bench would be a lot better than him starting. And obviously Felipe Lopez should never start

Hart has a .789 OPS vs RHP and a .975 OPS vs LHP this season, and in his career the differences are .788 vs .882 ... even if not a straight platoon I'd see nothing wrong with sitting him vs the tougher RHP in favor of Gamel (or Morgan when Gomez is healthy and having better defense with Gomez in CF and Morgan in RF)

at any rate, McGehee coming off the bench would be a lot better than him starting. And obviously Felipe Lopez should never start

Weeks will be back within a couple weeks. When an all star starter gets hurt you are going to have a much lesser player there. Counsell, Lopez, Hairston, Wilson, whatever. All of them are going to get some time there. There is not much difference between them (and yes I know Hairston has a higher OBP) and they will all just get some time and we will wait until Weeks gets back. And Hart having a .789 does nothing for your argument. He still plays everyday he can.

I think RRR is actually doing the best he can with what he has for 2b options . The key comes down to Casey being more like last year and less like the first few months of this year. I don't expect .280 out of him but I think we can expect .260 (opposed to .230). I think whenever you can play small ball with the 2b up like sac bunts you have to do it.

Just got home from the game and I just want to say one thing (beside how great the ending was) - we were sitting in the club level and there was this guy behind us who was literally complaining about everything the entire game. Just whining about how bad Marcum was and how we couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, it was ridiculous. When RR pulled Hawkins for Wilson, the guy almost had a heart attack. He literally whined and threw a fit for the last 2 innings about how ridiculous it was that Hawkins wasn't allowed to hit for himself. It may have been the most ridiculous argument i've ever seen and I really thought a guy in our row was going to get into a fight with him when he finally told the guy to knock it off. Anyways, great win, but wow it's amazing that there are people that dumb out there!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Shouldn't they technically be the bierbrauers and piratens? Seeing as bierbrauer means brewer and piraten means pirate.

In the German language, you don't just add an s to make a noun plural, some do but most don't.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

... there was this guy behind us who was literally complaining about everything the entire game. Just whining about how bad Marcum was and how we couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, it was ridiculous. When RR pulled Hawkins for Wilson, the guy almost had a heart attack. He literally whined and threw a fit for the last 2 innings about how ridiculous it was that Hawkins wasn't allowed to hit for himself.
Well, there were some regulars missing in the IGT today.

My favorite part of being at the game was the "T" chant at the end of the game for Nyjer as he threw up the T. Great job by Marcum to settle down. He was getting hit hard early. Heads up running by Morgan on the called strike three in the 8th. Gotta love a walk-off win.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I didn't realize how nervous I'd become during that game until we left the park and I could feel how many muscles I had been tensing. I know the season probably didn't come down to today's game, but I really wanted the W. Way to essentially fail your way to victory, Nyjer, and possibly crush whatever was left of the Pirates' spirit.

A few chat room regulars will recall that before Mark Kotsay's walkoff hit in that Friday night July game, I vowed to buy a Kotsay shirt if he came through. He did, I did, and the S.O. wore the shirt to today's game. We were walking from the Molitor Lot to the park, I was counting Counsell shirts/jerseys (more about that in a moment) and had just mentioned the utter unlikelihood of anyone else at MP (or maybe on earth) having a Kotsay shirt - when of course we saw someone else, in the Braves lot, with a Kotsay shirt. That was special.

It didn't take long for me to lose count of the many, many fans wearing Counsell gear today. Let me make clear that I'm not a hater, and I joined in on the first at-bat standing ovation - but wow, is he the belovedest .140 hitter on earth or what? I know fans don't have to be rational, but it's a sight to see. (Psst, Cardinal Nation: if the Brewers were cheating, Craiggers would be hitting at least at the Uecker line.) I think Casey is the blue-collar-hero heir apparent, too.

The Brewers got through that 18-game NL Central stretch with a 16-2 record. I know, not the roughest division in baseball, but that's still quite an accomplishment. Don't let up, Brewers. I want a good reason to commit large $ toward postseason tickets.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

For anyone at the game or anyone on TV that could hear it:

After Nyjer's walkoff, and the cheering had settled down a bit, why were a large amount of the crowd booing?? I couldn't figure it out.

There was also a point earlier in the game when a section of RF was booing too.

Any answers?

I was at the game and they were yelling TTTTTTTTT. and doing a time out. it was great.

but TTTTTTTTT sounds nothing like "booooooooo"! i was so puzzled as i walked out because i know i heard boooooo. maybe the acoustics distorted it or something.

... there was this guy behind us who was literally complaining about everything the entire game. Just whining about how bad Marcum was and how we couldn't hit the ball out of the infield, it was ridiculous. When RR pulled Hawkins for Wilson, the guy almost had a heart attack. He literally whined and threw a fit for the last 2 innings about how ridiculous it was that Hawkins wasn't allowed to hit for himself.
Well, there were some regulars missing in the IGT today.
Awesome. Best line I've heard all day.

I was at the game and they were yelling TTTTTTTTT. and doing a time out. it was great.

but TTTTTTTTT sounds nothing like "booooooooo"! i was so puzzled as i walked out because i know i heard boooooo. maybe the acoustics distorted it or something.

I agree that it sounded like some kind of "ooooooooo," but it was synced up with Nyjer throwing up the T, so that's got to be it.

Something I forgot to mention last night: I think a German Heritage Day was a fine idea, but it seemed to me the Brewers were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find appropriate between-innings music.

99 Luftballons - OK, that's German (and they actually used the auf-Deutsch version).

Da Da Da and Boom Boom - OK, Trio is from Germany.

Rock You Like A Hurricane? I know, the Scorpions are German, but really? I guess I was expecting more oompah music. It's not like the Brewers didn't know this was their promotion months in advance.

And that one Brew Crew couple in German garb were EVERYWHERE yesterday - from the parking lots honoring the free oil change car to our section tossing out T-shirts to Bernie's Dugout.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Is this serious? Now we are benching Hart and McGehee? This has to be the best post ever. Do people really think they are just going to bring someone up and replace Hart's 800+ ops that easily? This cannot be a serious statement.

It's about the 220th best post ever.

I was in the first row of the Loge level behind the Brewers dugout, and the sight of 80% of the Field level fans on the first base side throwing up the T as Plush came off the field was awesome.

It was my five year-old son's first Brewer game yesterday. Except for trips to the bathroom, he stayed in his seat/on my lap for the entire game, which I never expected. The only issue was one of those bathroom trips occurred in the bottom of the 9th. If Kotsay's fly ball had gone out, there is no telling how many times in his life the story would be told of how his first Brewer game ended in a walk off HR and we were in the men's room at the time.

Archived