Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-14 Pirates (Morton) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers win, 2-1, ten innings]

August 14 - 1:10 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/pirates.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpg

56-62

69-51

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/pirates/morton-01.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/marcum-24.jpg

Charlie Morton

9-6, 3.56

Morton's scoreless-innings streak is at 17 after eight shutout frames Monday. He has put together terrific back-to-back starts, though to take a step forward, Morton is going to have to improve against left-handed hitters.

Brewers vs. Morton
Morton Game Log

Shaun Marcum

10-3, 3.62

Marcum has gone at least six innings in six of his last seven starts and has won his last three decisions. The right-hander will make his second start against the Pirates this season. He threw seven shutout innings against them on April 13.

Pirates vs. Marcum
Marcum Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. RF Xavier Paul
  2. 1B Garrett Jones
  3. CF Andrew McCutchen
  4. 2B Neil Walker
  5. LF Ryan Ludwick
  6. 3B Pedro Alvarez
  7. SS Ronny Cedeño
  8. C Michael McKenry
  9. RHP Charlie Morton

1. 3B Felipe Lopez
  2. CF Nyjer Morgan
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. RF Mark Kotsay
  6. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  7. 2B Craig Counsell
  8. C Jonathan Lucroy
  9. RHP Shaun Marcum

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per @haudricourt

#Brewers lineup vs. Pirates: 3B Lopez, CF Morgan, LF Braun, 1B Fielder, RF Kotsay, SS Betancourt, 2B Counsell, C Lucroy, RHP Marcum.

Yay, Sunday lineup. Yikes.

Edit: This is as lefty-stacked a lineup as RR can put together (minus Kottaras). I'm going to guess that's what's going on here.

3B Lopez, CF Morgan, LF Braun, 1B Fielder, RF Kotsay, SS Betancourt, 2B Counsell, C Lucroy, RHP Marcum

Classic Sunday lineup. Makes no sense at all. If these players are gonna play, I'd go Morgan, Lopez, Braun, Fielder, Betancourt, Kotsay, Lucory, Counsell, Marcum. I'd also have Counsell at 3B, and Lopez at 2B.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't know about in the past, but this lineup makes me think Roenicke is thinking, "Hey, we're up 5 games. Might as well get these other guys in there and give some of the regulars a day off. What's the worst that'll happen? We'll lose and be up only 4 games. But if we win, they get some PT and we stay up 5 at least."

Oh, well. I've become accustomed to these lineups on Sundays and get-away-days over the years so it's no big deal. Heck, if you look around at lineups of other teams on Sundays and get-away-days I'd bet that there's more than a few teams that do this as well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I mean.......come on.......this has to be a joke, right?

Lopez leading off........Lopez and Counsell in the same lineup........with Kotsay.

Nope, it's not. It's real.

Lopez leading off? I mean, seriously?

Yeah, yeah I know, "Well who ELSE would you put leadoff? Well, not Lopez!

Hoping we don't have a Yostian Sunday lineup today! Put your foot on their throat, Ron!
Did you not just see the lineup posted above? Lol.
I was late to the party. I was at work and opened up a reply thread, then got sidetracked and by the time I had written and submitted my comment, it had been about 30 mins later. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

It's not even getaway day though, the Brewers are still at home after today. They've also had two off days in the last week and a half. I don't mind sitting McGehee, but Hart's been on a roll, so I hope there's something more beyond just giving him a day off for the sake of giving him a day off.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
From Rotowire: Lefty hitters are batting .384 with a 34:27 BB:K ratio against Morton after Monday night, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

There you go. RR is bringing the lefties.

I'd like to say "small sample size" but over his career, Morton has been consistently awful vs. lefties.

However, there's nothing about Craig Counsell or Felipe Lopez that makes me think it was 'necessary' to get them into the lineup today.

Morton's career splits. Can't fault RR to much for going the lefty route, though I'd still prefer the regular lineup:

ISplitPAABRH2B3BHRBBSOBAOBPSLGOPSBAbiptOPS+
vs RHB as RHP9318141122023611079138.248.322.332.653.28466
vs LHB as RHP77467511422839122682109.338.411.547.958.370141
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 8/14/2011.

Hart is the only big piece missing. Casey can sit and it's no big deal. Other than that it's the same guys. It's like people post the same thing everytime one starter is out. Bench guys are going to play. If you call this the AAA lineup, then you can say that everyday I guess. Missing Hart one day does not make the lineup completely awful.

Hart is the only big piece missing. Casey can sit and it's no big deal. Other than that it's the same guys. It's like people post the same thing everytime one starter is out.

Felipe Lopez as the lead-off hitter? Mark Kotsay (of all people) "protecting" Prince?. Counsell at 2B & Lopez at 3rd?

this is hilarious people are upset about the "contents" of the lineup, to set aside comments about the order for now.

Kotsay for Hart... and?

People already miss McGehee that much? Extra strong fix for a Wilson this morning? This place is funny.

Hart is the only big piece missing. Casey can sit and it's no big deal. Other than that it's the same guys. It's like people post the same thing everytime one starter is out.

Felipe Lopez as the lead-off hitter? Mark Kotsay (of all people) "protecting" Prince?. Counsell at 2B & Lopez at 3rd?

Kotsay has been there before and what is the difference between that and Casey? And Lopez is in that spot for Hart. Only difference. Weeks is out so all the guys are about the same as 2B. TauPenta thinks like I do. No major differences here. People just look to complain about stuff even when there is little difference.

This lineup is Exhibit A why we need to bring up Gamel and Green. Replace Lopez with Green and Kotsay with Gamel in the lineup and it doesn't look so bad. DM needs to sit DPR down and explain that Hairston is a better player than Betancourt.

I think he just wrote in Fielder and Braun then picked names out of a hat.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well, for one, Jerry Hairston and his .325 OBP is available. He is a better baseball player than Lopez, Counsell, Wilson, Kotsay, Betancourt, McGehee

And that doesn't even get into the whole deal with Gamel & Green also being better baseball players than Lopez, Counsell, Wilson, Kotsay, Betancourt, McGehee (but that is another topic for another thread I 'spose)

But seriously, Felipe Lopez as the lead-off hitter? That is craziness. Betancourt of all people has a better OBP than Lopez!

This is ridiculous. Why can't Hairston get any playing time? Even when Ron decides to put in the JV team he can't crack the lineup.

He is a better player than Lopez, Counsell and Kotsay and they are all in there over him.

This is ridiculous. Why can't Hairston get any playing time? Even when Ron decides to put in the JV team he can't crack the lineup.

He is a better player than Lopez, Counsell and Kotsay and they are all in there over him.

Hairston started Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, I would consider that playing time. And the reason those 3 are in is because they are lefties. Morton's split difference between righties and lefties is pretty significant.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived