Brewer Fanatic

Ben Sheets

DHonks
not curious for this season, but I know he had major surgery around 12-13 months ago. Assuming he is planning on attempting a comeback, wouldn't it make sense for the Brewers to try to sign him for next season on a minor league deal? Nothing has been with his shoulder, so I have no problem with a guy coming back from elbow injuries, even if it does include every major ligament in the elbow. Could be great depth for next year and a few years beyond

I still am wondering what kind of bad blood may have exsisted between Melvin and Sheets. Nothing said publicly, but it just seems like the debate over who was paying for Sheets's injury indicated that something in the relationship was strained. That being said, I would take a flier on him on a minor league deal if he were willing to have an incentive laden deal.

If he is likely limited to a bullpen guy I'd be against signing him actually. We already have pretty good depth and signing him is likely to increase the chances of a dumb roster decision because of his name recognition.

If he is likely limited to a bullpen guy I'd be against signing him actually. We already have pretty good depth and signing him is likely to increase the chances of a dumb roster decision because of his name recognition.
I actually kind of feel this way too. I think Sheets' time has likely passed as an effective MLB pitcher (even as a reliever), as he hasn't pitched two of the past three seasons. If he were willing to sign a cheap MiLB deal, fine. I wouldn't give him one guaranteed cent in the majors right now, though.

As far as any bad blood with Melvin, that's more Sheets' fault than anything.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

What depth? Hawkins, Rodriquez, and Saito are all likely gone, Kintzler, DiFelice, Parra, and Stetter are injured right now, McClendon is likely on his way to the Mets, and Braddock is a big question mark.

I'd love to give him a look as back of the rotation depth, but it's not going to happen. Frankly, if I'm Sheets, I'd just retire. He's got a pile of money and got roughly half a season last time he rehabbed for a year. It's not like he's going to break the bank.

endaround is right on with what I was thinking. We lose a chunk of our pen after this year and we possibly lose 3/5ths of the rotation after next year. I'm sort of hoping he could be a Vogelsong type where you're not counting on him, but he becomes a part of the plans.

While they have some bullpen spots to fill, I'm not sure I'd include Sheets on my priority list anywhere. Unless they somehow retain Fielder, they'll have money available to replace the likes of Hawkins, Saito and Rodriguez from the reliever market.

I would do this. It would have to be a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training but it wouldn't hurt to kick the tires and see if he has anything left. It's all reward and no risk in that situation and who knows, maybe we catch lightning in the bottle. If not, we release him before the season. Like others have said, what depth in the bullpen?

I should clarify...I have no idea if he's even planning a comeback. He pretty much destroyed everything possible in the vicinity of the elbow. But given out history, and given how great he was for us, if he wants to try a comeback then I'd love to give it a try.

The Crew had no luck bringing in experienced SP's last year because they had a rotation set, and barring an injury, it'll be the same thing next year. Why would anyone want to come to MIL wehn you can go to a team with 3 open spots?
This is a good point. Why would Sheets sign with the Crew when he would have very little chance of cracking the rotation. He'd be better off signing with some decimated team like the Astros where he would have a real shot of being at least a fifth starter.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If he wants to come try to take over Rock's spot in the booth, I don't have a problem with that. But signing a re-retread pitcher just because he was great with us 4 years ago? I think we are beyond that as a team now.
Yeah, if Sheets wants to have a career in baseball after pitching, I can easily see him being a color commentator with Milwaukee or somewhere else.

Archived