Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Zambrano retires

ryne100
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hope he doesn't retire. I want the Cubs to continue to have to deal with that anchor of a contract around their necks. The longer they're paying $19M per year to guys like Zambrano, the longer it will take for them to be the Yankees of the Midwest.

Yankees of the midwest? The team that hasn't won a world series since 1908, or been to one since 1945?

Was your post supposed to be in blue?

They have the market-size/ fanbase/ money to buy an annual playoffs a'la the Yankees and Red Sox, they just haven't managed their advantage well. Logically, you'd think someday that will change, but contracts like Zambrano's are what help keep that situation from happening.

There's nothing going on in that organization that makes me think that they stand a ghost of a chance of being a perrenial playoff team the way they're currently run. I'll have to see it before I'll even consider it.

There's nothing going on in that organization that makes me think that they stand a ghost of a chance of being a perrenial playoff team the way they're currently run. I'll have to see it before I'll even consider it.

Just because they haven't doesn't mean they won't. It's only rank incompetence that keeps the Cubs from trotting out 90-95 win teams every season, and part of that is $19M to Zambrano, $18M to Soriano. Look at Boston (smaller market than Chicago): a Red Sox team that doesn't win 90 games is almost unheard of in the wild card era.

What I'm saying is, I hope they keep him. With $19M to spend next year, they could get Prince easily.

Community Moderator

With the Zambrano contract off the books, the Cubs become the front runner to get Pujols or Fielder. I have no comments about the rationality of signing Prince/Albert or if they would even sign with the Cubs, but they will have money to spend and more contracts ending soon. It also appears the Cubs faithful are reaching their breaking point and they need to sell tickets next year or face the attendance decline that has been avoided to this point.

So I definitely hope he changes his mind, but I think he's probably done pitching for the Cubs.

Wow, that's how an ump handles it. Great job being proactive. It's pathetic what the ump did after Braun got thrown at TWICE.

I have a feeling Zambrano will be back. That's way too much money to walk away from.

In the end it comes down to $$$$ for most, and Zambrano has never struck me as someone with high integrity a la Meche.

Integrity? Please. It's called common sense. I'd love to see you walk away from tens of millions of dollars.

I wonder how long he has to be gone to void the contract? Can he say "I'm retired" leave the team for a week or 2 and then say "I'm back" and obligate the Cubs to the remainder of his contract?

Just curious how these things work. The team has to have some rights/options in case like this.

Integrity? Please. It's called common sense. I'd love to see you walk away from tens of millions of dollars.

I never said that I have any integrity..... That said, some guys (a very small percentage) have walked away with money on the table- Meche, Mike Schmidt, Barry Sanders, etc. Comparing Zambrano with these guys just shows what a stupid move that this is. A few guys have pulled similar stunts, but they always come back. Yount was talking 'retirement' back in the late 70's, but he wasn't under contract.

If Crazy Z doesn't show up tonight look for things to get ugly. I'm sure the Cubs would be stoked to get out from under that ugly contract, so I'm sure the players union, etc. will get involved.

What's interesting is that he was placed on this same list last year, for 6 weeks. I guess since he didn't get into an altercation with one of his own teammates it isn't as bad. I hope the union appeal fails though, even if it does save the cubs some money for the month that he is out.

Archived