Brewer Fanatic

Maxim John Axford article

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ok, I was taking a sauna at the YMCA this morning and someone left the Sept 2011 copy of Maxim in there. So I as I was perusing the articles, I came across one about the Brewers and specifically John Axford. Basically, Maxim gave him a bunch of money to pull pranks and treat his teammates to some fun. I wish they had a video link for Saito's Elvis-clown-Happy-Birthday greeting. Or even Saito's "Thank you,....thank you very much" response.

Evidently they asked Prince Fielder what he would do if they gave him $848. He said, "Buy some DVDs". Then they realized that $848 to Fielder with a $15M+salary is like asking you or I what we would do with a nickle... HAHA.

Anyway, I'm at work, so I'm not even going to try to find a web link for it, but it was a hilarious read. And if you don't want to read it, go for the pictures.... of Axford and company.

The article appears to be from September, 2010, but a search of Maxim's web site doesn't locate it. It looks that it might be subscription only. The silver lining is that a search for "maxim john axford" (no quotes) produces this topic as the top hit.

Here's are some pictures that were posted elsewhere.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmtjgqclw1qzqeldo1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmtl0Oyxo1qzqeldo1_500.jpg

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmti9a8Ho1qzqeldo1_500.jpg

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Bingo! That is the one. I'm pretty sure it would be a 2011 article, since it mentioned Saito. Perhaps its not online yet, only out in print first...

Edit - found a MLB article about it. Happened back in May:

MILWAUKEE -- The Brewers had a little fun Saturday courtesy of Maxim

magazine, which gave closer John Axford $848 to blow in one day and

chronicled his spending spree for an upcoming feature.

Axford treated the coaches to an arrangement of flower-shaped cookies,

bought a lucky fan lunch at Friday's restaurant at Miller Park and hired

an Elvis impersonator and a clown to celebrate Takashi Saito's birthday

... which was in February.

Saito is allegedly a huge Elvis fan prone to belting out The King's hits

in karaoke bars. The clown made him a nice hat out of balloons, which

Saito wore for his afternoon workout in the weight room.

Why do Brewers players like Bro Cats? I remember Bill Hall in there too. Hate that bar

Jo Cats must have changed a bit in the last 6 years. Used to be you could see homeless guys mixed with 60 year old women mixed with 20 year olds in there.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived