Brewer Fanatic

Preferred playoff clinching scenario?

One of the dumbest sports related things I've ever heard one of my friends say was during the 1996 Packers season: "The Packers are just beating up on everyone. This is boring." And yes, he was a Packer fan.

My preferred playoffs... clinch the division as soon as possible, then play to keep the #2 seed while trying to catch the Phillies for the #1 seed. It wouldn't bother me at all to have a weeks worth of meaningless games at the end of this season.

Well since I have tickets for Sept. 20 at Wrigley, I can't think of a better scenario than the Brewers winning that night to go 8 games up with 7 to play, and enjoying the sight of them celebrating in Miller Park South, to the dismay of the Cub faithful.

Then while the regulars sit and nurse their well deserved hangovers the next afternoon, Roenicke fields a lineup of Green at 3B, Wilson at SS, Farris at 2B, Gamel at 1B, Hairston in LF, Schafer in CF, Gindl in RF, Maldanado catching and Peralta pitching.

Well since I have tickets for Sept. 20 at Wrigley, I can't think of a better scenario than the Brewers winning that night to go 8 games up with 7 to play, and enjoying the sight of them celebrating in Miller Park South, to the dismay of the Cub faithful.
As much as I would enjoy to see this scenario, I am equally scared that while celebrating in the super tiny clubhouse somebody would get hurt. That would suck.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

One of the dumbest sports related things I've ever heard one of my friends say was during the 1996 Packers season: "The Packers are just beating up on everyone. This is boring." And yes, he was a Packer fan.
I encountered the same thing that season. I was in college out of state and none of my friends were Packers fans (they were cool, though, so they were happy for me). One said to me near the end of the regular season, "Isn't this boring for you? Wouldn't you rather have close games?" Hellllllllllllll no! I love it when my team rolls over the opposition.

My ideal preference in a dream world would be to:

1. Win the Division by 10+ games while setting the single season wins record. 96-66 would do for me, meaning a record 24-15 the rest of the way.

2. The D-Backs win the NL West.

3. The Giants go on a run and catch the Braves for the Wild Card.

4. NLDS: Brewers-Giants, Phillies-D-Backs. Don't care as long as we win

5. NLCS: Brewer-Phillies. As long as we win

Realsitically, I am expecting:

1. Cards get hot, we cool off some and we win the division by 3 games. 21-18 the rest of the way. 93-69 record.

2. The Giants win the NL West. Braves win the Wild Card

3. NLDS: Brewers-Braves, Phillies-Giants. I think we will beat the Braves. I am not sold on the Phillies for some reason. Something doesn't sit right with me about them. I can't explain it.

4. NLCS: Brewers-Giants. Oh please, oh please, oh please http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't really get why people would want the team to clinch anywhere besides Miller Park, especially Wrigley. The Cubs are completely irrelevant this year, I'd much rather the home crowd be able to enjoy the celebration than a much smaller amount of Brewer fans in a different city.

Every Cubs fan I know is actively rooting for the Brewers over the Cards to win the division, too. Besides that, it's not really rubbing their face in anything: they've won a few division titles the last decade; we haven't one won since I was in 2nd grade.

I've seen the Brewers reach the post-season three times and each time the berth was secured the final Saturday or Sunday. For once, I would like to see them clinch early - at home against the Philiies or Rockies and just enjoy the ride the rest of the way.

I plead guilty. I found the '96 season exciting, but I remeber watching some games '97 and getting bored with the ease of which they were winning. Same thing with the Wave about ten years ago - they went amost two years between home losses. Success breeds complacency. I won't take either for ganted again.

My ideal preference in a dream world would be to:

1. Win the Division by 10+ games while setting the single season wins record. 96-66 would do for me, meaning a record 24-15 the rest of the way.

2. The D-Backs win the NL West.

3. The Giants go on a run and catch the Braves for the Wild Card.

4. NLDS: Brewers-Giants, Phillies-D-Backs. Don't care as long as we win

5. NLCS: Brewer-Phillies. As long as we win

Realsitically, I am expecting:

1. Cards get hot, we cool off some and we win the division by 3 games. 21-18 the rest of the way. 93-69 record.

2. The Giants win the NL West. Braves win the Wild Card

3. NLDS: Brewers-Braves, Phillies-Giants. I think we will beat the Braves. I am not sold on the Phillies for some reason. Something doesn't sit right with me about them. I can't explain it.

4. NLCS: Brewers-Giants. Oh please, oh please, oh please http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It seems as though people have not been sold on the Phillies all season long, yet nobody seems to be able to beat them at home or on the road. I really can't imagine anyone taking a 5 or 7 game series from these guys, and this includes the Yankees and Red Sox. The rotation is just too good, even their number 5 guy, Worley. If Lidge and Madson can stay healthy, the back of the pen is as good as any, although they could use 1 more quality guy there, and the offense, while not what it was in '07-'09 is still good enough for 5-6 runs a game, and that's really all they need. Last I checked, their run differential was #1 in the NL, and something like 75 points above the Braves who are number 2. I think that the Brewers v. Braves will be the best matchup in the playoffs, but whoever wins will end up earning themselves another 5-6 games at most.

It's almost impossible to predict the playoffs. The Cardinals won the World Series with 83 wins. Anyone who gets in has a decent shot... Teams like the Yankees/Phillies probably have a slightly better chance.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but I think the Brewers (if they make the playoffs by winning their first NL Central division title) are going to be national favorites amongst MLB fans as a whole. They're young, exciting, fun, & have incredible pitching. I think the Brewers will have wisespread appeal much the way the Rangers did last season.

I went to Target Field this past weekend to catch NYY@MIN. Yankees & Twins fans alike talked to me about the Brewers & how amazing they've been this season (I was wearing my Gallardo jersey-tee... that's right!)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived