Brewer Fanatic

Preferred playoff clinching scenario?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So, the Brewers are 5 up with 6 weeks to go. Comfortable, but not untouchable, by any means. What I'd like to see, more than anything in the whole wide world, is the Brewers just continue to streak, build up about a 12-13 game lead, and romp away with the division, clinching in mid-September.

With that being said, the last few weeks of 2008 were incredibly fun, not to mention heart stopping. I remember the walk offs against the Pirates, Weeks' big 3 run shot against the Cubs on that Saturday night, and of course, the incredible drama on the last day of the season.

So.........I mean, obviously we all want a division title, but what's more fun for the baseball fans, particularly, US?

I have no idea what it's like to watch baseball in late September that's meaningless for a GOOD reason, and I almost wonder if it'd be a bit less memorable than the fantastic finish to the 2008 season.

I would love having a worry-free September. I would root for a 95 win season or whatever. And I'd be fine having more time to savor a divisional win.

I think the Cards will hang around for awhile though. Brewers will lose 4 of 5 at some point.

well, obviously I'll take a Postseason in any form we can get it. That said:

Home field advantage in the 1st round would be huge.

Clinching early would also mean being able to get our pitchers aligned properly

The Brewers all-time win record is 95 wins in 1982. It'd be cool to be

able to root for breaking that record late in September with everything

else clinched

else clinched

It's weird to think about, but there's an outside shot that that is reachable, isn't there?

Considering they started what...14 - 20?

I'd prefer to have them run away with the division. Yes it was drama filled, but the memories are only good because they got in. If they hadn't I wouldn't be looking back fondly at all.

Once they get in there will be plenty of drama. And there wouldn't be a better feeling than to have a WS title so running away with the division and being able to set up our pitching and have home field gives us a better shot at that.

Having things clinched early wouldn't lead to meaningless baseball, in my opinion.

First, with the Minor League season ending around September 1 and Weeks and Gomez still likely on the DL, having things wrapped up early would allow them to have their "rehab" assignment in Milwaukee. It would be nice to be able to use the last couple of weeks of September to get them ready for their playoff roles.

Second, while it is doubtful the Brewers would ever catch the Phillies, getting the number 2 seed is worth playing for. Between the ribbon board lights, stealing signs and mean fans yelling at managers, home field advantage in the first round is pretty important.

Third, it would be nice to be able to setup the rotation. As fun as 2008 was, having CC pitch seemingly everyday thru the end of the year really hurt the teams post season chances. They have a deeper rotation this year, but it would still be nice to set it up for the first round of the playoffs.

And, finally, as a Brewer fan, watching a team win 90+ games is awesome. If they somehow managed to get to 92 wins with a week left in the season, division clinched or not the last week of the season will rock.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

else clinched

It's weird to think about, but there's an outside shot that that is reachable, isn't there?

If they play just .500 baseball the rest of the way they'll finish with 89 or 90 wins. So yes 96 wins is possible, though maybe not probable. To finish 96-66 they'd need to go 29-16 the rest of the way. Not likely (but one can dream!)

else clinched

Considering they started what...14 - 20?

With a current .573 winning percentage, the Brewers are "on pace" to win 93. They need 29 wins in their last 45 to get to 96, which is a .644 percentage. As unlikely as that probably is, Milwaukee has gone 23-12 in their last 35 since July 1, or a .657 percentage. So we know they are capable of being pretty good for a decent stretch of games, even if they aren't likely to keep up this pace.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

With that being said, the last few weeks of 2008 were incredibly fun, not to mention heart stopping. I remember the walk offs against the Pirates, Weeks' big 3 run shot against the Cubs on that Saturday night, and of course, the incredible drama on the last day of the season.
That last week was fun but also very stressful, the Weeks three run HR was actually Friday against the Cubs and then they got beat pretty easily by the Cubs the next night which made that last game on Sunday tension filled. The couple weeks before that last week were also pretty bad because they played so horrible and it looked like they would miss the playoffs again by choking at the end of the season. Looking back it is fun and I had some great memories but I would much rather have the Brewers keep on winning and have that last series against the Pirates mean absolutely nothing because they could just as easily blow it this time around if they keep it close.

Yeah, that Rickie homer was definitely Friday; I'll never forget that night: McClung pumping his fist at third, etc.

And yeah, this is way too early. Me, I just hope they clinch. That said...

It seems like most of the recent NL WS representatives played very meaningful ballgames up to or through the last weekend that kept their iron hot: the Giants' last year, Phils in '08, Cards in '06, even the Rockies in '07 and Astros in '05 though they both lost.

Of course, that didn't work for us in '08 and the cream will generally rise to the top regardless. I'll save my angina for the playoffs please, and take the clincher with about a week to go (but please, just take the clincher whatever happens).

Yeah, the Weeks homer was a Friday, I remember it now. We were grilling out, and had a pit fire that night, sitting around having a few brews. I remember when he hit the bomb, I ran a lap around the backyard, and my wife was yelling at me to not break my neck running around in the dark.

i hate drama. i hate competition. i love winning, and winning big. i'd rather have the packers go 19-0 and win every game by 30 points, as opposed to the way we did it last season.

for the brewers i hope we win another 20 out of 30, and sew the division shut.

I almost wonder if it'd be a bit less memorable than the fantastic finish to the 2008 season.
Even as early as the 2008-2009 off-season, it occurred to me that to any fan for whom 2008 was the "first time" seeing the Brewers in the playoffs, it just won't be the same again. That's not to say it wouldn't be satisfying whenever and however it happens, but I think there is something to the 'first time.' (Disclaimer: 1982 was the first season I followed from beginning to end, but I was unable to attend any games. Thus 2008 in many ways felt like the first-time for me.) The insane degree of drama in the final two weeks of the 2008 season made it even more special. I titled my Facebook album of last-homestand photos "Brewers Dream Sequence Week."

So I'm expecting the 'next time' to be a little less remarkable. Also, I wouldn't mind NOT having to count on just the right kind of swing in the bottom of the 8th inning of game 162. But ultimately, the clinching is the thing, no matter how it happens.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

In 2008 when they clinched, I was at work. It was a new job and I had to be professional. I caught a brief look at the final Mets out. Never celebrated, not a fist pump, nothing. So if they do clinch this year, I plan to really celebrate it this time. I had the fortune of being at the Weeks/McClung Friday night game and the playoff win though, so I'm not complaining.

I do not really care how they do it, but I've always envisioned it as them getting the final out to clinch and celebrating right on the field. The CC final double play was nice in '08, but it kind of took the drama out since they were never down to that "last strike" and they had to wait 20 minutes to fully celebrate. The Reds clinched on a walkoff home run last year, that would be amazing. Maybe a Counsell sacrifice fly is most appropriate?

If they clinch early, they will still be battling for home field advantage, so there will still be some meaning for everyone who bought tickets to games the final week. But most likely they will not win the division by 6+ games and it has a very high probability of coming down to that final week. It always seems to in baseball and I find it unlikely that the Cardinals will just go away.

Last time, I was just relieved that they got in. I expected them to lose to the Phillies. This year, the tension and anxiety will be multiplied by 100 times. It could be the year...but yet a few stupid bounces, missed plays, or bad calls could ruin it all. Anything less than the NLCS will be a major disappointment, and even though the Phillies are better, you never know. I think it is absolutely crucial to not only win the division but also to get that #2 seed that keeps us out of Philadelphia in the NLDS and gives the Giants a chance to knock them off again.

I would really, really love it if they could clinch at home, with me there. I will be there every game if we have a chance to clinch, no matter what. Our last 6 are at home, so winning the division by 5 games or so could still put us in that spot. Prior to that we have 6 on the road, I can't imagine us clinching before then barring a 20-0 run or something crazy.

So for me, perfect world, we stay around 5 games ahead, get to the weekend before the season ends, needing 1 win to clinch. Win a game against Florida, go crazy on our home field, then get a few days to setup the rotation and rest any starters that might be hurt.

Any division win would be wonderful, but if I had the choice, I'd like to see them end the season with a 10+ game lead on everyone in the division. Seeing the Cardinals collapse would be great. Plus, my heart would thank me if I didn't add the stress of a down-to-the-wire race.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

I was thrilled in 2008 when we clinched on Sep 20 (I remember the date vividly because it was my son's wedding day)

We coasted the rest of the way, worried way too much about rotation, and were ill prepared for a Dodger team that came in kicked our butts.

It went much better in 2003 when we clinched on the final Saturday and then went on to Beat the "invincible" Braves.

I like you guys enough to be pulling for you clearly over the Cardinals (I really wanted the Pirates but they have come back to reality)

Win it with a couple of days to relax then you'll get the Braves probably rested but not rusty.

Good Luck

Anyone but the Cardinals!

Finish off a sweep of the Cards on Wednesday, August 7th. The game is tied 3-3 in the top of the 10th. LaRussa has been thrown out for arguing a borderline call and will probably be suspended for ordering Yadi to spit on an umpire.

Plush singles, steals 2nd, Yadi throws the ball away and he advances to third with two outs. Braun hits what looks to be a routine fly ball to deep CF, but it hits Berkman's head and goes over the fence for a HR. Braun proceeds to moonwalk around the bases and make lewd remarks about TLR's daughter.

In the bottom of the 10th, Ax hits Pujols on a 0-2 pitch. Seeing the pitch as intentional, Pujols stares down Axford on the way to 1st and trips over the bag into the infield dirt. Lucroy throws the ball to Prince for the putout. Ax strikes out the next two men.

After the game, the Brewers find LaRussa in their locker room. He has consumed all of the champagne.

If the Brewers win 19 more games which means they have to go 19-21 the rest of the way to get to 90 wins which should win the division as it is going to take the Cardinals going 25-15 to get to 90 wins. I don't believe the Brewers will only win 19 more games the rest of the way. 22-18 is probably more realistic which gives the Brewers a 92 win season and they clinch the division at home against the Marlins on Sunday September 25th. Which allows the Brewers to have their rotation go on regular rest in the playoffs.

Archived