Brewer Fanatic

Narveson Cuts Pitching Hand -- Latest: status for Monday, August 22 up in the air; Wily Peralta may start (reply #107)

wibadgers23
I agree that it's weird to call up a starter and then start the guy who was last stretched out in like April.

But since the chances of a "substitute for Narvdog" start becoming a Wholestaff night are probably pretty good anyway, maybe it won't matter in the end whether the starting tandem is Markie Estracruz or Franco De La Da.

Yes, it could become that either way, but with Estrada, you're virtually guaranteeing it as he can't go much more than 50-60 pitches I would guess. At least with de la Cruz, you'd have a chance (probably a small one) but at least a chance that he could throw up a good game and cover 6-7 innings or something.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Props to Estrada. He did much better than I would have expected after not having started in a couple of months. He seems to be nice insurance as a SP, and has come up big in the few occasions he's been needed.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Props to Estrada. He did much better than I would have expected after not having started in a couple of months. He seems to be nice insurance as a SP, and has come up big in the few occasions he's been needed.

Agreed. Estrada made some great pitches, his location was outstanding. That tool Mitch Williams kept saying the Pirates were getting themselves out, but Estrada was consistently hitting the Hall of Fame spot. I guess williams would have been more impressed if Estrada fell off the mound more.

I wonder if Estada is similar to Narveson in that he's better as a starter than a reliever. Neither seems to be able to command their changeup as well when working in relief.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

According to McCalvy, Narveson is already back throwing and could even pitch against the Pirates on Monday. I'm pleasantly surprised at this fast return.

I'm not surprised. He got stitched up quickly and didn't have anything beyond a flesh wound and it will be almost 2 weeks. He's been able to throw with a bandage so he should be good to go his full compliment of pitches too. I'm sure it was the target date all along.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He got stitched up quickly and didn't have anything beyond a flesh wound and it will be almost 2 weeks.

Bah! If it was the black knight, he wouldn't have missed any starts at all!

http://cdn.goldlabel.com/wp-content/themes/GoldLabel_1r4/images/product-categories/monty-python/monty-python-black-knight-merchandise.jpg

PEM, that new avatar is incredible!

Wily Peralta is an excellent choice to start ahead of Estrada. I'm really excited about the possibility, even though it sounds like if Peralta were called up, this would be the scenario:

"The other thought is if you have (Greinke) [start the second game of the doubleheader], and you bring up somebody, in between games you can send that guy back out and activate somebody else to help you," Roenicke said.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My idea would be to cut Lopez, bring up Peralta for game 2. Then after the doubleheader is over, send out Dillard, Estrada or F DLC, and add Green. Keep Peralta for use out of the pen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived