Brewer Fanatic

Narveson Cuts Pitching Hand -- Latest: status for Monday, August 22 up in the air; Wily Peralta may start (reply #107)

wibadgers23
Guys have been tinkering with their own equipment since our Lord Pujols invented baseball.

Too funny...nice job logan.

whowat

Whoa...sorry dlks...was laughing so hard I looked at the wrong sig! You are TOO funny!

FYI-on a plane in Brewers gear...next to Cubs fan...I've never felt this little animosity.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, if the Brewers think he'll only miss one start, why can't Greinke go on normal rest? We had an off day Monday. Because there are no off days in sight (plus a doubleheader to boot)?
Grienke can go on regular rest, but Estrada or someone else will still need to pitch the next day, lest Marcum pitch on three days rest.
Wow, umm yeah, not enough coffee yet!

It's not really Melvin's M.O. to rush up a 22 year old from AA to make 1 or 2 spot starts is it? I don't have any examples, but it seems like he's more likely to call up an older, fringe prospect from AAA.

Melvin did call up Chris Seanz (spelling?) from AA several years ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Does anyone know if the cut is on the inside of his thumb or outside? As silly as it sounds, I think that makes a huge difference. If the cut is where he needs to grip the ball, he'll miss more than 1 start. But if it's not, shouldn't be a big deal and I can see him missing only 1 start.

Either way, it's another test of roster management. I want Peralta, but it better be anyone not named Estrada. A secondary reason for Peralta is that they may need him later this season Let's face it, the rotation has been incredibly healthy, if that changes would be nice to have Peralta with a couple MLB starts under his belt.

Does anyone know if the cut is on the inside of his thumb or outside? As silly as it sounds, I think that makes a huge difference. If the cut is where he needs to grip the ball, he'll miss more than 1 start. But if it's not, shouldn't be a big deal and I can see him missing only 1 start.

Either way, it's another test of roster management. I want Peralta, but it better be anyone not named Estrada. A secondary reason for Peralta is that they may need him later this season Let's face it, the rotation has been incredibly healthy, if that changes would be nice to have Peralta with a couple MLB starts under his belt.

He said he doesn't grip the ball on where it is cut. It's on JSO.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

LaRussa responded to the announcement of Narveson's injury by saying it was 'outrageous' that the Brewers allowed scissors to get near a guy's hands.

He retaliated by stabbing Albert Pujols in the buttocks with a pair of Fiskars sewing scissors.

LaRussa responded to the announcement of Narveson's injury by saying it was 'outrageous' that the Brewers allowed scissors to get near a guy's hands.

He retaliated by stabbing Albert Pujols in the buttocks with a pair of Fiskars sewing scissors.

Post of the week.

http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/fb425bc4f991ad779fd211b1a835ecc4f0a3e80.gif

Estrada isn't really stretched out anymore, I doubt he could go more than 3 innings, and if they put a pitch count on him he'll likely reach it early considering how ineffective he's been of late. I don't mind him as a long man but I think he's pretty much out of that spot starter role. They'd be better suited demoting Dillard (because they never use him anyways) and bring up a minor leaguer, then have Estrada back him.

That all being said, I'm guessing Roenicke will go the 'blow the bullpen' route and use Estrada and Dillard to attempt to get through 5 innings.

I dont see why not to bring up Peralta. They brought Scarpetta up for an emergency. Peralta has been outstanding of late and deserves a look. Estrada is no longer stretched out and to be honest he is really not that good. He is on the 40 man already. Let him get a game under belt.

So he'll take Dillard's job of warming up the bullpen catcher on a major league salary, Dillard's role will expand, and Estrada receives the next few starts. I would have preferred Fiers or Peralta, but the timing isn't right for the former and they wouldn't trust the latter when he'd be promoted from AA. Estrada was adequate the first time around though, so I expect more of the same.

I am pretty sure they would bring up De La Cruz to start right? He is obviously much more stretched out the Estrada. It wouldn't make any sense to bring him up to take Estrada's spot when Estrada probably can't go anymore than 3 innings. The guy is having a pretty darn good year at AAA

I haven't read anything official, but De La Cruz started Sunday and I would imagine that he's up to make a start or three; otherwise you might have seen McClendon. (Though if you believe he's a PTBNL or at least on the Mets' list maybe this supports that theory?) I think de la Cruz is a far better bet to go six than Estrada at this point.

Edit: seems like fondy beat me to it.

But wouldn't that prove hypocritical given their philosophy on Gamel and Green? What little De La Cruz has done in the majors was negative. Gamel at least average #'s in a decent sized sample back in '09. Piggybacking Estrada and Dillard would be more consistent with prior statements and the safer choice, probably. Do we really feel comfortable turning the ball over to a career minor league who hasn't even set the world on fire in AAA for 3 starts while in a division race?

I am pretty sure they would bring up De La Cruz to start right? He is obviously much more stretched out the Estrada. It wouldn't make any sense to bring him up to take Estrada's spot when Estrada probably can't go anymore than 3 innings. The guy is having a pretty darn good year at AAA

He's got good numbers, but man, that walk rate is pretty ugly. I just don't get why it's not Peralta

Piggybacking Estrada and Dillard would be more consistent with prior statements and the safer choice, probably.

NO it wouldn't be safe at all. Dillard should not face left handed hitters. Ever.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i was think about fdlc earlier today...seriously, he's been one of the top 5 pitchers in the pcl this year...he's right at the very top in k's and era...the numbers don't look amazing because of how offensive that league is, but he's been great for the league...i think he'll be fine for a start or two...way better than estrada...and i trust him to go deeper into games than peralta

PCL teams are averaging 5.63 runs per game, so De La Cruz's ERA looks a lot better when compared to that mark. The league average line this season is .287/.361/.454/.815, and that's including ~80 PA's from Wil Nieves.

I know nothing about him but he seems to have control problems and strike people out. I like pitchers who strike people out. I don't like pitchers with control problems. On the balance, he has a cool name, so I'm expecting him to perform well.

I'll say that I don't think this move is inconsistent with Melvin's previous MO. He seems to have a couple of these type of moves every year. He has a short DL stint to cover, possibly needing roster flexibility, and he brings up an older not much of a prospect guy. Presumably someone he'd be OK with losing on waivers if it comes to that.

Archived