Brewer Fanatic

Narveson Cuts Pitching Hand -- Latest: status for Monday, August 22 up in the air; Wily Peralta may start (reply #107)

wibadgers23
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad Narveson isn't on twitter, he can't post a picture of his injury like Logan Morrison did.

Considering Morrison only needed 5 stitches for getting spiked, Narveson must have nearly cut through his thumb, ouch. Get well soon.

I do hope they move Grienke up to Friday as I'd prefer to miss attendance of the Wholestaff game as well.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I don't find it odd at all that Narveson was working on his glove. It's HIS glove. Guys have been tinkering with their own equipment since our Lord Pujols invented baseball. He was probably tightening a part of the glove and cutting some excess lace or re-lacing part of the glove, using a scissors to push the lace through a hole. I'll guarantee the other players have done similar things. It's just unfortunate that the scissors slipped.

Considering it is on his pitching thumb and required 8 stitches, I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if he only missed one start.

I'd rather call up Fiers, but it doesn't work, he isn't available until Sunday. Fiers has a AAA ERA of 1.42 and has 98 Ks in 93 innings for the season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Considering it is on his pitching thumb and required 8 stitches, I'd actually be pleasantly surprised if he only missed one start.

Right, the guy got stitches and will only be down for 9ish days. Doesnt seem likely too me, but ive never had stitches on my pitching hand...I also dont throw 88+ or need to put pressure on the ball for certain pitches.

Wait, if the Brewers think he'll only miss one start, why can't Greinke go on normal rest? We had an off day Monday. Because there are no off days in sight (plus a doubleheader to boot)?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Who are the realistic options for a callup? Friers won't work. Peralta would. Any other suggestions? I'd really prefer not to destroy the entire bullpen with an Estrada/Dillard start, especially if Chris were to miss two starts. There is really no way of knowing exactly when he will be ready. 9 days seems awfully fast to recover from 8 stitches.

Peralta would be the player I would like to see get called up for a spot start. He last pitched last Sunday.

The other candidate would be Frankie de la Cruz, who should also be available.

They could also bring Scarpetta back up. They did it once already. I think he last pitched during the weekend (Sat?).

Wait, if the Brewers think he'll only miss one start, why can't Greinke go on normal rest? We had an off day Monday. Because there are no off days in sight (plus a doubleheader to boot)?
Grienke can go on regular rest, but Estrada or someone else will still need to pitch the next day, lest Marcum pitch on three days rest.

Grienke can go on regular rest, but Estrada or someone else will still need to pitch the next day, lest Marcum pitch on three days rest.
Wow, umm yeah, not enough coffee yet!

It's not really Melvin's M.O. to rush up a 22 year old from AA to make 1 or 2 spot starts is it? I don't have any examples, but it seems like he's more likely to call up an older, fringe prospect from AAA.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

If Narvy goes on the DL retroactive to his last start, he could return for the doubleheader on the 22nd. If Peralta was called up to pitch Friday, he could make 3 starts, his last being game 1 of the doubleheader.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You can check the 40-man roster here:

While it's not impossible to add a player like Fiers or Frankie de la Cruz who is not on the 40 (we have some 60-day-dl candidates if need be), Melvin's track record makes it seem unlikely for what looks to be a short-term situation. That leaves the following starters as possible call ups:
Peralta, Rivas, Rogers, Scarpetta.

Rogers isn't close to ready, Rivas has had a mediocre year, Scarpetta remains promising but has control lapses...smart money would be Peralta. If they did add a guy to the 40 I wouldn't be stunned to see de la Cruz, who's had a nice AAA season; Fiers would also be a good choice though he's just recently hit AAA.

8 stitches, they have to DL him, right? I mean, c'mon....

As a Friday ticketholder, I'm really hoping for Peralta.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Im going to be in Milwaukee this weekend (live in Metro-Detroit) and at the game on Saturday, I'm really hoping they don't go with Estrada +bullpen on Saturday. I wouldn't mind seeing Peralta or another minor league "prospect" come up but please no "Johnny wholestaff"

It's not really Melvin's M.O. to rush up a 22 year old from AA to make 1 or 2 spot starts is it? I don't have any examples, but it seems like he's more likely to call up an older, fringe prospect from AAA.
Estrada was a longshot to make the team out of spring training. Melvin gave every opportunity to some kid that pitched in AA last year to hold the fort down until Greinke was ready. The name of the player escapes me, but there was a kid that Melvin was hoping would claim the spot over Estrada out of spring training.

ETA: Might have been Rivas but it might have been somebody else.

Estrada was a longshot to make the team out of spring training. Melvin gave every opportunity to some kid that pitched in AA last year to hold the fort down until Greinke was ready. The name of the player escapes me, but there was a kid that Melvin was hoping would claim the spot over Estrada out of spring training.

ETA: Might have been Rivas but it might have been somebody else.

It was Peralta. And I'm praying that he gets the call-up for Friday.

Archived