Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-09 Brewers (Marcum) at Cardinals (Jackson) - [Brewers win, 5-3, 10 innings]

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was awesome, we tried our best to lose it but something is just different on this team. Different from earlier in the year where they would have lost this game...different from past Brewers teams in that when the pressure mounts, they don't fold, they give pressure the middle finger and fight through it.

Still some very rough spots in the game but a win is a win is a win. Now lets get the next games and take the wind right out of their sails!!! Hope Braun can get it back together, not too many 0-10 and awful at bats for him.

Narveson sliced his hand repairing his glove and will miss his next start. Per Ron at post game news conference.

That is not good.

Yikes, only bad if the Brewers need Estrada out of the bullpen. Hopefully it's only one start.

Narveson sliced his hand repairing his glove and will miss his next start. Per Ron at post game news conference.

That is not good.

What???? You sure he wasn't also playing basketball?

His swing is always long.
No its not, it may look long normally because he gets good extension, but no good hitters have long swings. Id say right now it looks like his timing if off and hes getting under the ball a little too much. He should try to work some walks and tickle to the ball to right and break out of it
I think it's always long as well. He missed song pitches. It happens.

I really thought when they loaded the bases with the heart of the order up and didn't score that they were going to lose it. This is game the would've lost last year and even the year before. Say what you will about Roenicke's decision making but this team is starting to look special under his leadership. I know a few game losing streak and they'll seem mortal again but this is a nice little run they're on. That's a bigger loss for St. Louis than win for the Brewers. I'm getting greedy now; man I'd love a sweep.

The back end of the pen is really top notch. You'd be hard pressed to find a better group in the league. It's nice knowing as long as our starters can gut out a decent 6 innings when they don't have their best stuff that we have the guys to lock it down and at least keep us in the game and/or seal the victory. No doubt they'll blow some games sooner than later but I'm confident we have a playoff caliber bullpen now.

^^

It really seems to me that Roenicke is learning from some of his mistakes re: bullpen management.

I wish he'd use guys for more than 1 inning occasionally, but since the K-Rod deal, he's done a great job with the bullpen.

I've been hard on Roenicke, but it seems he's coming around (amazing how a 12 out of 13 run can do that).

Saw this on vivaelbirdos, thought it was particularly clever. It describes their astonishment that Octavio Dotel was allowed to pitch to 2 lefties (Plush and Fielder). Also apparantly StL fans have dubbed Marc Rzepczynski with a nickname: 'Scrabble'.

Octavio Dotel has a .938 OPS allowed against left-handed hitters. Marc Rzepczynski has allowed lefties an OPS of .462. That's a nearly 500 point difference. In other words, Dotel and Scrabble's respective abilities to contain left-handed hitters is almost a full Tony La Russa infielder apart.

Scrabble has been Nnamdi Asomugha's nickname for years. It's not classy to steal.
If Rzepczynski were a Brewer, I'd totally call him Scrabble. I'd also make a point of getting his shirt. Terrific surname.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived