Brewer Fanatic

2011-08-09 Brewers (Marcum) at Cardinals (Jackson) - [Brewers win, 5-3, 10 innings]

August 9 - 7:15 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/cardinals.jpg

65-50

62-53

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/marcum-23.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/cardinals/jackson-01.jpg

Shaun Marcum

10-3, 3.58

Marcum surrendered a season-high six earned runs Tuesday against the Cardinals, and his biggest mistake was allowing pitcher Jaime Garcia to homer off him. The no-decision ended Marcum's stretch of three consecutive wins.

Cardinals vs. Marcum
Marcum Game Log

Edwin Jackson

1-1, 5.79

Jackson took one for the team in his Cardinals debut, going seven innings while allowing 10 runs to save an overworked bullpen against Milwaukee. He'll be facing the Brewers again here.

Brewers vs. Jackson
Jackson Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. RF Corey Hart
  2. CF Nyjer Morgan
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. 3B Casey McGehee
  6. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  7. 2B Felipe Lopez
  8. C Jonathan Lucroy
  9. RHP Shaun Marcum

1. SS Rafael Furcal
  2. CF Corey Patterson
  3. 1B Albert Pujols
  4. LF Matt Holliday
  5. RF Lance Berkman
  6. 3B David Freese
  7. 2B Skip Schumaker
  8. C Gerald Laird
  9. RHP Edwin Jackson

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Hart or Hairston?

Good to see Luc is batting below Kotsay and Lopez. /blue

2011 vs RHP

Lucroy

.284 .332 .390 .722

Kotsay

.233 .285 .317 .602

Lopez

.222 .267 .259 .527

Hairston

.272 .321 .371 .692
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I might think they only need one win in the series, but I'd sure hate for them not to light Jackson up like a Christmas tree tonight. Leading off with a win really turns up the pressure even higher on the Cards too.

This lineup would be crazy good when Weeks comes back if Yuni and Casey can continue to hit reasonably well. All those black holes we had in May and June are completely gone.

I agree that this is the most excited I have been about series since 2008; I might have a heart attach when we play STL later in the year if the games are still this important. Really want a W tonight.

I'm not quite understanding why RR thinks that Lopez >> Hairston. I never expected Lopez to be playing every day nor did I expect Hairston to just be a bench option. It seems to me that Hairston is a better every day option at 2B. Of course, the disparity isn't great, I might be able to be sold on Lopez being the everyday guy if the logic goes beyond "he's a switch-hitter and he had a couple nice months for us in 2009."

Corey Patterson batting 2nd is worse than Gomez batting 2nd, especially when John Jay a far superior player is riding the pine.
T-Plush tickled a ball past John Jay for a bases-clearing double last series. Such unclassy fielding does not go unnoticed by Cardinals fans or LaRussa. Jay will take his deserved spot on the bench, so that Patterson may demonstrate how CF rightly is to be played.

I'm not quite understanding why RR thinks that Lopez >> Hairston. I never expected Lopez to be playing every day nor did I expect Hairston to just be a bench option. It seems to me that Hairston is a better every day option at 2B. Of course, the disparity isn't great, I might be able to be sold on Lopez being the everyday guy if the logic goes beyond "he's a switch-hitter and he had a couple nice months for us in 2009."
Hes only going by platoon advantages. I guess JHJ will only play against lefties the rest of the way

RR uses platoon LH/RH way too much. To only use Hairston in that manner is just trying to be "too cute" with his lineups. These guys are veteran major leaguers, right? They can hit a RHP if they're a righty hitter. It's not as though they haven't faced them all their lives since little league.

Let's get the first one vs Jackson and it takes all the pressure off of us for the final two games. If he keeps his mouth shut this series, I may offer to buy LaRussa a drink.

Hes only going by platoon advantages. I guess JHJ will only play against lefties the rest of the way

The problem with that logic is A) it's going to give you the worse player in the lineup 70-75% of the time and B) it's not really logical. Neither is really a platoon guy, both have minimal L/R splits.

Hairston carries a .704 OPS vs. RHP in his career and better defense, I will take that right now over what I think Lopez can offer.

I hope the Brewers could bring the man in the scoreboard who helps us cheat to St Louis.
Everybody knows it's Bernie Brewer. If the number of K's up is somewhere between 0 and 20, Chris Carpenter is going to throw a hanging curveball.

Archived