Brewer Fanatic

Runnin' Ron = Runnin' Less?

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Steal attempts for the Brewers per game pre all star break = .847 (78 attempts, 92 games)

Steal attempts for the Brewers per game post all star break = .391 (9 attempts, 23 games)

Does anyone think this is a conscious effort or due more to injuries to Weeks and Braun?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Probably injuries. Carlos Gomez also got hurt the week following the AS break. GoGo, Braun and Weeks lead the team in attempts. I would have thought Nyjer Morgan would have more than 6 SBs through 261 PAs though. Might have something to do with him hitting 2nd and not being the most efficient base stealer throughout his career.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I will third the injuries. No Braun, Weeks, and Gomez leaves you with Hart and Morgan as SB threats. Not as daunting.

The Brewers have still been very aggressive on the bases in regards to first-to-third, second-to-home, contact play, etc., so RR's still running. He's just not stealing with guys who have no business stealing, or having someone hit-and-run Mark Kotsay to 2B anymore, thankfully.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I would have thought Nyjer Morgan would have more than 6 SBs through 261 PAs though. Might have something to do with him hitting 2nd and not being the most efficient base stealer throughout his career.
Has a lot more to do with him hitting in front of Braun and Prince than anything else (at least, I hope....)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

90% of it was fluff anyway. As pointed out, Gomez/Braun/Weeks have missed time/returned unable to run 100%. Lucroy, McGehee, and Fielder are not going to run, or take the extra base.

Much of the pretend angst over outs on the bases is just not understanding math...with two outs, you should get runners thrown out at home, as long as they have a 30-35% chance of scoring. That leads to some easy outs if the defense makes the play/decent throws. HOU losing a meaningless runner to end the game is bothersome. Most outs on the bases are not.

Much of the pretend angst over outs on the bases is just not understanding math...with two outs, you should get runners thrown out at home, as long as they have a 30-35% chance of scoring.

I agree, that is not a huge issue, although I question if some of these runners even have a 30% chance of scoring after they are out by 20 feet. There have been a number of outs at home with less than 2 outs, however, as well as a number of outs at 3rd. Also not a big fan of the 3-1 hit and runs, either. No idea what that all adds up to. BP has the Brewers middle-of-the-pack for base running:

http://www.baseballprospe...ble/index.php?cid=975444

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Much of the pretend angst over outs on the bases is just not understanding math...with two outs, you should get runners thrown out at home, as long as they have a 30-35% chance of scoring. That leads to some easy outs if the defense makes the play/decent throws. HOU losing a meaningless runner to end the game is bothersome. Most outs on the bases are not.

If it was just when there were two outs I'd have no problem. It's attempting steals of third with Braun at bat and attempting double steals with one of the slowest players in the league at third base. And it's a whole lot of other "small ball" type plays that don't fit this thread.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I see a reason why Morgan's SB% is down from previous years. He was always on horrible teams. He probably felt that the best (only) way for him to score was to steal his way there. Now that he's hitting in front of Braun and Prince, he doesn't need to force the SB.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived